SoCS — Ring-a-Ding Ding Ding

For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill, she’s given us the word “ring” and asked us to use it as a noun, a verb, an adverb, or an adjective…or basically any way we’d like.

The word “ring” is a very versatile word. I always found it interesting that Americans typically say they will call someone on the phone, while the British say that they will ring someone up.

A ring is also something that can be worn on fingers, like a friendship ring, an engagement ring, a wedding wing (or band), or just a ring as a piece of jewelry. Some ring wearers even pierce their noses or lips or eyebrows or, well, certain other body parts in order to insert a ring in them.

Boxers and wrestlers fight in a ring, but ice skaters and roller skaters skate in a rink. Why is that, I wonder?

Pandas and Raccoons have dark rings around their eyes. So do I when I don’t get enough sleep.

While some policemen were forming a large ring around demonstrators, other policeman were in hot pursuit of the members of a drug ring.

And, of course, you can always ring a bell. A church bell. A Christmas bell. A cowbell. A doorbell.

I’m sure you’ve heard that the old nursery rhyme, “Ring Around the Rosie,” arose from the Great Plague, an outbreak of pneumonic plague that affected London in the year 1665. However, according to the fact-checking site, Snopes, “Ring Around the Rosie” is simply a nursery rhyme of indefinite origin with no specific meaning. Apparently, long after the nursery rhyme had been around, someone, concocted the plague-related “origin story” for its creation.

By the way, won’t you be glad when 2020 will finally be over and we can ring in the new year, 2021, which we all hope will be much better than 2020, right?

And with that, friends, I think I’m going to start re-reading “The Lord of the Rings.” It’s been a few decades since I last read about the epic quest for the ring.

21 thoughts on “SoCS — Ring-a-Ding Ding Ding

1. Fuzzy Panda Barista November 14, 2020 / 6:21 am

Imaginative thoughts on the prompt. I’m with you, let’s ring in the new year as soon as possible. The old one is broken.

2. newepicauthor November 14, 2020 / 7:13 am

I have have dark rings around my eyes, probably from taking too many drugs in the 1970s.

3. J-Dub November 14, 2020 / 7:16 am

I’ve never read Lord of the Rings but after JoAnna’s post and your mention, I’m intrigued.

4. Sadje November 14, 2020 / 7:46 am

Very comprehensive coverage of all sorts of rings. I love The lord of the rings.

5. Laura November 14, 2020 / 7:47 am

I’ve been sporting some raccoon rings for the last four years. Here’s hoping a new administration will bring more peaceful rest and a chance not to feel like the walking dead.

• Fandango November 14, 2020 / 2:23 pm

It’s got to be better than what we’ve had to deal with over the past four years!

6. missb November 15, 2020 / 2:23 am

Think I’ll re-read LOTR, too, while counting down the days to 2021. 2020 feels like a decade already.