The Monday Peeve — It’s All About the URL

Through her The Monday Peeve prompt, Paula Light invites us to vent, to let off some stream, to get something off our chests. This week, my peeve is about troubleshooting. This is something the WordPress Happiness Engineers don’t do. In fact, whenever we are having an issue with WordPress, they seem to make us do all of the troubleshooting on their behalf.

Ever since version 16.0 of the WordPress iOS app was installed on my iPhone, I have had problems with being able to “like” and to comment on some (but not all) posts I visit from my reader or even from my Notifications. I first wrote about this apparent bug in the latest release of the iOS app here. I have been going back and forth with the WordPress Happiness Engineers on these issues for the past week and, so far, they haven’t come close to coming up with a resolution. Basically they keep asking me to try this or to try that to see if anything I try can resolve the problem.

Yesterday, I got a response from WordPress that said…

Unfortunately the activity logs you sent aren’t telling us much on what might be causing this issue. Can you share the URLs of a few posts/sites this issue is occurring on so we can see if this allows us to narrow down a possible cause.

So I, once again, did what they asked. I provided the URLs of six blogs where I can’t “like” the posts and where I can’t comment at all or can’t comment without entering my name, email address, and my blog’s URL.

Then I provided the URLs of six blogs where I can both like and comment, just like I used to be able to do before version 16.0 of the iOS app was installed on my iPhone.

EUREKA!

I discovered something that apparently the Happiness Engineers at WordPress didn’t even think about. Here’s what I wrote.

AH HA! As I was going through this exercise, I just noticed that the blogs that have “.wordpress.com” in the URL work fine, just as they used to before Version 16.0 was installed. But the blogs that just have the blog name without “.wordpress.com” in the URL are the ones that don’t work.

My blog’s URL is https://fivedotoh.com. It doesn’t have “.wordpress.com” in the URL. I just went to my reader on my iPhone and visited my own post and guess what? I can’t “like” my own post or comment on it without entering my name, email, and website. MY OWN POST!!!

So, it seems that the way to resolve this problem is to find out why blogs that contain “.wordpress.com” in the URL work fine in the Version 16.0 reader and notifications, but those without “.wordpress.com” in the URL, like my own blog, do not. I think if you can figure out why that is happening and how to fix it, you will have resolved this issue.

And that, my friends, is what has me very peeved this morning. Maybe I should apply for a job as a Happiness Engineer.

30 thoughts on “The Monday Peeve — It’s All About the URL

• Fandango November 9, 2020 / 11:59 am

Thanks, but I kinda enjoy being retired. And if I did interview with Automattic, and if they asked me what changes I’d like to see at WordPress, I’d tell them to bring back the classic editor and give bloggers a choice between defaulting to the classic editor or the stupid block editor. So there’s no way they’d hire me.

1. XingfuMama November 9, 2020 / 10:51 am

You sure gave a “happiness engineer” a good clue for how to fix things.

• XingfuMama November 9, 2020 / 11:52 am

As a very former (meaning a very long time ago) programmer I would say that they will get right on it, because they now know what to look for specifically, and that there will be unexpected road bumps before they get it done. Going in to fix complex code, especially if it was written by someone else isn’t easy.

• Fandango November 9, 2020 / 12:10 pm

I certainly hope they’ll get right on it. How easy or difficult it will be to fix it is another story.

2. Paula Light November 9, 2020 / 11:20 am

Interesting! I never bothered changing the URL to my domain name (paulalight.com), and now I see laziness pays off!

• Fandango November 9, 2020 / 12:03 pm

Ha! Yes, thanks to your laziness, I can still like and comment on your posts! 😉

3. rugby843 November 9, 2020 / 1:32 pm

Just the name Happiness Engineer is irritating to me so I rarely consult them on anything. It takes ages to get a reply, never helpful and am asked to send multiple screen shots. Nope, no thanks.

4. Sadje November 9, 2020 / 6:26 pm

People who are invested in results often find the problem quicker than those “ happiness engineers” It’s good you found the cause of the trouble.

5. lindakempwriter November 9, 2020 / 10:39 pm

Ah, this happened to me, not long ago. WP did basically the same as you’ve outlined above and put it down to an issue with the browser I’m using. Firefox, btw. Hubster had to help me coz my tech skills begin and end with opening and saving Word docs, and found that by taking off ‘enhanced tracking’ on those sites sans wordpress.com I can comment and like. Huh, weird right?

• Fandango November 9, 2020 / 11:00 pm

Okay, so how do you take off (or shut off?) enhanced tracking?

• lindakempwriter November 9, 2020 / 11:04 pm

Well, I use my laptop and I have a Samsung ph so I could lead you up tje garden path. But, in the URL there is an icon on the very left which I click on and it takes me to security/privacy settings. There is a button towards the top of tje message box that states ‘take off enhanced security for this site’. I click yes and voila, I can like and comment.

• Fandango November 9, 2020 / 11:14 pm

Ah, okay. I opened up Firefox and saw that icon and saw that setting. But I mostly use either Safari or Chrome on my iPhone and I think the issue I’m having is with the WordPress iOS app for the iPhone, which doesn’t seem to have a setting to turn off enhanced tracking.

6. Ian Kay November 10, 2020 / 2:14 am

I wouldn’t apply for that job. You’d have to be fitted out in a Ronald McDonald suit or something like it. You’d get jaw ache from all the insincere smiling.

Try for the Grumpiness Engineer, I think you’re allowed to wear your own clothes.

7. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing November 10, 2020 / 5:56 am

Yes that’s exactly it. I am unable to like this post unless I log in just below this comment box. I do not have WordPress.com in my url so that is why some people cannot like my posts either. I guess they just want us to view other posts in the Reader. I do not usually read posts via the Reader, preferring to react to posts that I have requested to receive notification of via email. From the email I visit the site directly. The glitch lies between the reader and directly viewing websites (I think 😧) It is really annoying, I agree.

8. Carol anne November 11, 2020 / 10:03 am

You’d be good at it! Lol! 😀 I am happy to learn that this is why sometimes I cant like posts. My blog doesnt have the .wordpress.com in the URL 🙂

9. leigha66 November 16, 2020 / 10:13 pm

The mystery has been solved, now the repairs just need to be made. I hope they fix it soon for you and the others affected.