FUBAR

Warning: this post is all about how the latest update to the WordPress iOS app for the iPhone broke my reader. If you have no interest whatsoever in reading about this, feel free to move along.

So I know that in my last post I said that I was going to take a break from posting for a while, but trying to deal with this technical issue with WordPress and its latest update to the WordPress iOS app is keeping my mind of of politics. And all things considered, that’s a good thing.

I’ve been exchanging messages with a few Happiness Engineers to see if they can fix what they broke in the iOS update. When I first opened a ticket and explained the issue, one of the response said this:

One thing we’ve noticed is that you’re currently logged into 402 sessions (meaning logged into WordPress.com in 402 places — devices, browsers, etc). We’re not sure yet if this is the underlying issue for you not being able to like/comment on posts, but logging out of all the current sessions may help.

What? So here’s how I responded:

I don’t understand how it’s even possible for me to be logged into WordPress 402 times. I do use four different browsers at various times — Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Duck Duck Go — and I tried on all of them last night to go to the reader and like and/or comment on other bloggers’ posts. I wasn’t able to. I’m going to log out of all browsers and log out of the iOS app now.

And then I got this response:

I’ve reviewed your account and see that the account is still logged in to 400 sessions. Could we log you out all of those sessions so we can see if that is contributing to this problem? Please confirm that you would like for us to try that and we’ll log out all of the sessions from here.

To which I responded:

Yes, please log me out of the 400 sessions. And please explain to me how it is even possible to be logged on to 400 wordpress.com sessions at one time.

I went back and looked at the notice that came with the WordPress version 16.0 update and saw this.Then I wrote back to the Happiness Engineers and said this:

As a point of clarification, I can both like and comment on other bloggers’ posts if I stay in the reader view. It’s only when I click “visit” in the reader and go to the bloggers’ actual posts through the reader that I can’t like or comment on their posts when accessed that way. I noticed that, in the 16.0 update notes, you made some changes to “Refresh the Reader” and to improve the experience, but whatever changes you made to refresh the Reader certainly screwed up my ability on many of the blogs I follow (but not on all, for some reason) to like and comment on them when I click on “visit.”

Anyway, I’m curious if any of you out there in the blogosphere who are more technically savvy than me can explain to me how it’s possible to be concurrently logged into 400 WordPress sessions when all of my browsers have been closed.

Okay, I’m going to fix myself some lunch now. If I hear back from the Happiness Engineers, I’ll let you know.

35 thoughts on “FUBAR

1. Mister Bump UK November 4, 2020 / 1:11 pm

You’re logged into 400 sessions because the WP app doesn’t close them down properly. It’s their bad, not yours.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 1:14 pm

Well, that’s good to know that I’m not doing something incredibly stupid. Thanks, Pete.

• Mister Bump UK November 4, 2020 / 1:18 pm

My hunch is that every time you launch the app, they start a new session. But they don’t close it properly, or time it out, so you just keep adding to it. It’s a bit crap really, leaving all those sessions open. I wonder how many sessions *I* have open?

2. Maggie November 4, 2020 / 1:36 pm

Agreed. They do not terminate sessions, most likely because you may exit while not actually logging off. I never logoff. As far as liking and commenting on posts outside of reader, it is my understanding that the connection that must be made from the individual blog (particularly paid blog) must make a connection back to WordPress to verify your identity. If that does not work, this is where it might be failing. This could be a theme issues or part of the communication apps in WordPress. I have had some success (not all) by clearing all my cache and cookies.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 1:49 pm

I never had a problem liking and commenting on posts from bloggers I follow when I “visit” those posts through my reader. It’s only since I updated to the latest iOS version (16.0) on my iPhone yesterday that I’ve had an issue.

There are two ways to read posts in the reader (on my iPhone in the iOS app, anyway). One is to just click on the post’s title and that will open up the post in reader view. However, the reader view doesn’t have the same formatting as when you go to the actual blog to read the post. The other way on my iPhone’s reader is to click on the three dots on the upper right of the post in the reader and then click where it says “Visit.” That takes you to the blogger’s formatted post as the blogger formatted it. It’s when I access the post that way that the like button often (but not always) doesn’t work and when I can only comment by typing in my name, email address, and my blog’s URL.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 4, 2020 / 4:49 pm

Repeating myself: IT’S A GLITCH. They can fix it and they will if you report it. If you don’t report it, they can’t fix it.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 7:45 pm

I did report it to the Happiness Engineers, but no fix so far.

3. rugby843 November 4, 2020 / 3:35 pm

I just spent an hour trying to order fro. TARGET to bd picked up since my daughter was going- talk about fiber!  I thought I would make some baked beans for the fam nut theres not a dried bean in sight at the 2 stores I order from.  My daughter says hoarding has started again here.  TP,  cleaners, staples, oh my!  I hate online shopping in general, but geez! WP, wifi, phone all having fits.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

4. rugby843 November 4, 2020 / 3:44 pm

Ok, so much for spell check and my brain. It’s perfectly clear I’ve spent too long trying to type on my phone. Sorry about that chief

5. Marilyn Armstrong November 4, 2020 / 4:46 pm

Try emptying your cache on each unit. Stuff gets stuck in there. REALLY log out of all your computers. Cold reboots all around. Check to see what’s going on in your “about me” (or whatever you call it). I once found more than a thousand open comments on my PAGE — not in any blog — and almost all were spam. Also, I know on a PC you have a task monitor so you can see what’s going on in your computer’s CPU. Sometimes you wind up with dozens and dozens of open threads that “read” like open sites. I’m sure Apple has some way to clean them out, I just don’t know what it is.

I fully turn OFF my computers — ALL f them — at night so all the caches empty. There are so many glitches not only in WordPress, but in the operating systems we use, both Apple and PC. But the threads that don’t close properly — and you never know it’s happening until you discover your link to the process isn’t working anymore — are a big one. Also, sometimes, and I hate when this happens, you have to clean out your cookies. One bad cookie — and everything gets pretty weird.

So try emptying the cache (then reboot). Clear the cookies (reboot again). Don’t just let your items sleep. Sometimes you need to really turn them off. Cold reboots. This is also true of the iPhone. I had to do that today. It’s new and it’s got a glitch i can’t get get rid of, but I need to take it to an official fixer (it’s under warrantee) — and there IS no Apple Dealer in this county. There is just ONE in Boston. It has to be really important to convince me to go there.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 7:43 pm

Thanks, Marilyn. You’ve given me something to do tomorrow besides thinking about the election situation. 👍

6. lifelessons November 4, 2020 / 5:01 pm

Most of the times that I have had problems with WP, it has been solved by emptying my cache.. I agree with Marilyn.Let us know if it works.

7. Paula Light November 4, 2020 / 7:02 pm

I liked your post in the app reader and am commenting there. I did “visit” this post in Safari just now and was unable to like it or comment even though I’m logged into WP on Safari. Bizarro 🙁

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 9:54 pm

The WordPress gurus are spending too much time promoting the block editor and not enough time addressing the serious glitches in the app and the site.

8. RuthScribbles November 4, 2020 / 10:11 pm

I had a problem, and found a plug-in for safari, that opens the blog on chrome and usually I can then like and comment, but not always.

And each time you visit a blog, it opens a new browser tab. I wonder if having too many tabs open causes wp to be open?

9. Ian Kay November 5, 2020 / 1:04 am

There’s something of the ‘Brave New World’ about something called a ‘Happiness Engineer’. Do we assume it’s a human being?

I suspect each of us having 400+ sessions active concurrently helps with WP’s likely bogus claim to run a third of the world wide web and have over 60 billion users.

• Fandango November 5, 2020 / 7:33 am

Ah, is that how they do it? Numbers don’t lie. Unless they do.

10. Melanie B Cee November 5, 2020 / 9:55 am

*munching the popcorn with that one dude and watching the show* Seriously, I have no helpful suggestions because I desktop blog and I always shut down my computer when I’m done for the day. I’m paranoid of hackers. When you posted that number of ‘open sessions’ that’s what immediately sprang to mind was that you’d been hacked. I agree with Marilyn’s suggestions and the other bloggers’ who have offered you advice. I hope they fix it (some hope, hmmm?) And their permanent ‘new’ name to me is “crappiness” engineers (nod to Evil Squirrel for the name).

• Fandango November 5, 2020 / 10:06 pm

So far they asked me to uninstall (i.e., delete) the app from my iPhone and then reinstall it. I did and the problem is still here. 🙁

• Melanie B Cee November 6, 2020 / 7:57 am

It’s a question of being unable to comment or like others’ blogs? Even in Reader (if you go there?). I have the same issue with folks who use WP. ORG, but I can comment in the reader…or do a lot of silly nonsense to do it on their site. Keep at them, sir…the squeaky wheel and all that. You have to get someone who UNDERSTANDS the problem first though. Good luck with that!

• Fandango November 6, 2020 / 9:39 am

I can like an comment in the reader view on my iPhone, but if I want to see the post as the blogger intended it to be viewed, and I click “visit,” that’s when I am unable to like and comment.

11. Clever Girl November 5, 2020 / 1:40 pm

I don’t know what any of it means, but it sounds like it’s all your fault

• Fandango November 5, 2020 / 10:22 pm

Yeah, user error (for having update the app on my iPhone). What was I thinking?

12. leigha66 November 11, 2020 / 2:15 pm

I agree… how is it possible to be logged in 400 places? Sounds like the latest lame excuse from the happiness engineers to me.