Fandango’s Provocative Question #94

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

Those of us who live in the United States — and probably many others around the globe — are on pins and needles about the outcome of yesterday’s presidential election. I know that I have been unable to focus on much else, as I truly believe the future of America and the free world is at stake.

I wrote this post on Monday afternoon and have scheduled it to be published at 3 a.m. Pacific time on Wednesday morning. Thus, I don’t know what actually happened on Tuesday. By the time this post is published, the voting places will have been closed for hours, although it’s quite possible that we still won’t definitively know who won.

That said, we may have some inkling about the outcome. So my provocative question this week is simply this.

What do you think about what happened in the United States yesterday? Are you shocked or surprised at the outcome, if it’s even known as you read this? Or are the results of the election what you expected? And finally, are you happy or unhappy?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

48 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #94

1. Sadje November 4, 2020 / 3:07 am

I will wait till the results are in to answer this question.

2. missb November 4, 2020 / 3:57 am

Didn’t expect it to be close given the events of this year..but the results are not all in yet so there’s still hope..

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 10:29 am

Unfortunately, there is no saving grace in the current results. Trump’s re-election should have been soundly rejected by the American people and it’s so disappointing that that’s not the case.

3. Don't Forget the Half November 4, 2020 / 5:42 am

Absent the final results, I’m saddened by the narrow margin between the presidential candidates. In 2016 I was shocked by the number of voters willing to place the country’s fate in the hands of a failed businessman with no moral compass. I understood many people weren’t aware of #45’s tactics at the time but growing up in New York gave me the advantage of knowing what he is capable of. Here we are four years later, when everyone has witnessed his incompetence and destruction, and so many still support him. I’m more disgusted than surprised, at this point. America has shown its whole ass and its crack is way off-centered. Even if Biden wins, the evil of the people is already known and can’t be put back in the box. I was certainly shocked by Kentucky and South Carolina Senate races. I need to further lower my expectations of the American people. 🤦🏽‍♀️ 😞 🙏🏽

4. Marleen November 4, 2020 / 6:35 am

So… I composed one response, then decided to hold off on it and say something about my other set of feelings, also based in real-life. The Donald wanted us to perceive that it’s over after election night. He told us ahead of time, and he, in his usual, pathetic, way, told us again last night. He said he wants the votes not to be counted — except where he does want them to be counted. And, of course, he said he won. He is not in charge of whether or not the votes get counted.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 10:51 am

I’m not just unhappy, I’m pissed. I can’t fathom how so many of “my fellow Americans” are so blind and so stupid. WTF?

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 10:52 am

I’m sorry that I can’t like or comment directly on your post.

• Marleen November 4, 2020 / 12:39 pm

A good word, “irretrievably.” I think that’s true for a lot of people. Maybe not all of them.

5. anotherday2paradise November 4, 2020 / 10:33 am

I’m so disappointed that the race is so tight. It’s unfathomable to me how any intelligent person could cast their vote for more of the same

6. Marleen November 4, 2020 / 1:39 pm

Well said: the world has seen a side – a truly nasty exposed fetid underbelly – of America we can’t now unsee. Trump’s America reminds me of George Orwell’s dystopian Animal Farm, where years after the animals rid themselves of the farmer in order to run the farm themselves, the pigs rise through the ranks to take over everyone else with the skewed principle that ‘All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others’.

My kids and I, independently, were starting to see this — the application of the pigs — about Republicans or “conservatives” and “libertarians” (when I was still in this slush of a camp) generally from before Trump. (The Democratic Party has gone pretty far right, too, so it’s not only Republicans.) Nevertheless, I hadn’t quite grasped the situation. I now think we don’t have much hope. When that was dawning on me, I learned of Town of Castle Rock v Gonzales.

The mother, Jessica Lenahan-Gonzales,
    now goes by Lenahan. The decision
    hinged on “shall” not meaning shall
    and on there being no infringement of
    property in the matter. Our constitution
    is about property and about all men being
    equal not meaning all people are created equal.

• Marleen November 4, 2020 / 3:00 pm

I learned what Faerun is, today. Enjoyed your answer.

7. Marilyn Armstrong November 4, 2020 / 2:51 pm

Okay, I think Biden’s going to take the presidency. BUT. We made ZERO progress in the senate and actually LOST people in the house. How much are we going to get done with McConnell still El Primo Senator? There may be a little more “looseness” in the senate, but nothing’s going to get done if we can’t get Congress to agree to at least SOME of the changes we need. From the point of view of “we the people,” it’s a bad moment because the Democratic party did what they do: they put everything on the presidency and didn’t support the down ticket.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 2:54 pm

Yep. We needed the Senate to flip. We needed Collins and Ernst and McConnell and Graham to lose. But they didn’t lose.

• Marleen November 4, 2020 / 3:04 pm

I wanted Osoff to win… too. It seemed obvious.

• Marleen November 4, 2020 / 7:47 pm

Hey! There’s hope, still, for Ossoff. If his opponent (Perdue) doesn’t get (keep) fifty percent, there will be a runoff (in that Georgia race).

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 9:55 pm

Let’s hope that is the case when the final votes are tallied.

8. Marilyn Armstrong November 4, 2020 / 4:08 pm

The thing is, Senators don’t NEED the nation’s vote — just their particular state. If they are getting their job done at home, they will win — no matter WHAT the president is doing (or hasn’t done). We obviously couldn’t support every senatorial contest, but we could have put the “more money than we could use” into critical ones: McConnell and Lindsay Graham, to name two. Now, I supposed we see what we can get done anyway. I don’t think they senators are NEARLY a stupid as Donzo.

9. leigha66 November 10, 2020 / 11:39 pm

The outcome is good, but there is still time for Trump to do a lot of damage. I don’t see it being a great 4 years to come without congress, but anything has to be better than the last 4!