Disheartened, Disillusioned, and Frustrated

This may be my last post for a while (other than my daily prompt posts, which are scheduled through the end of the month).

I am disheartened by the fact that 66.7 million Americans (so far) have voted for the selfish, egotistical, narcissistic, xenophobic, racist, sexist, moronic ignoramus who currently occupies the White House. That’s 4.4 million more (so far) than voted for him in 2016. Knowing what we now know about Trump, how can so many Americans be so stupid?

I am disheartened by the fact that Joe Biden, who has received 69.6 million votes (so far), almost three million more votes than Trump has, and, when all is said and done, will have received more votes than any other presidential candidate in American history, may yet lose the Electoral College and, thus, Trump will continue to be president for another four year term.

I am disheartened by the fact that if Biden does end up winning the popular vote but losing the Electoral College, and thereby losing the presidency, it would be the third time in 20 years — George W. Bush in 2000, Trump in 2016, and Trump in 2020 — that a Democratic candidate for president — Al Gore in 2000, Hillary Clinton in 2016, and Joe Biden in 2020 — will have won the popular vote, but lost the election.

I am disillusioned by the wholly undemocratic mechanism known as the Electoral College and the fact that it would take an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to remove the Electoral College. And I’m pissed that, because the Republican Party has benefitted from it for possibly the third time in 20 years, it’s very unlikely to change.

And finally, as if all that isn’t enough, I’m frustrated by WordPress, not just because of its ill-conceived block editor and the fact that it doesn’t give its users an option to default to the classic editor, but that now, since I updated to the latest version of the iOS app for my iPhone, I can no longer like or comment on many posts from other bloggers.

So I’ve had it. I need a break. I’ll be back here when I am feeling a little better about things, although I have no idea when that might be.

Stay well.

38 thoughts on “Disheartened, Disillusioned, and Frustrated

1. James Pyles November 4, 2020 / 9:55 am

I can’t help you with any of that except to say that it’s not over until it’s over.

However, as far as WordPress is concerned, I found a workaround. Create a new blog post, give it a title and immediately publish it. Then go back into your Posts and you’ll see you have the option to edit using the Classic Editor.

Small conciliation from your perspective I know, but at least it will remove one small frustration from your life.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 11:04 am

Thanks, James. I did discover that trick. Now WordPress needs to fix my issue with being able to like and comment on other bloggers’ posts. As far as the election, the next nightmare will be when the Supreme Court and its 6-3 conservative majority will prematurely halt the counting of mail-in ballots, just as it halted the counting of Florida ballots in 2000, handing the presidency to George W. Bush.

• James Pyles November 4, 2020 / 11:16 am

For the sake of our relationship, I won’t comment on this any further. I will say that, just as in 2016, I did not vote for either major Presidential candidate in 2020. Of course, I live in Idaho, so I knew how the Electoral College was going to vote ahead of time, thus I was free to vote my conscience and give neither “old man” my support.

2. CARAMEL November 4, 2020 / 10:00 am

Do make sure you take some time out to switch off to things, Take a walk and look at what makes this planet beautiful. I wish you a beautiful sunset and birdsong and wonderful things that are good for the heart! I wish you the laughter of children and the kindness of people who just want peace.
    Please take care of your heart – I know it is a stressful day for you because I know how strongly you feel, but please do enjoy life and all that is good.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 11:07 am

Thanks, Mel, but right now I’m having a very hard time finding much that is good.

• CARAMEL November 4, 2020 / 1:38 pm

I am going to be careful what I say because I am neutral. But I am watching the BBC news and it is suggesting that Biden is going to win, which is what you wanted, isn’t it?

It does not take away from the fact that clearly there are very contrasting views of the current President. But this is politics, democracy, you can’t tell people what to think. They will often come to their own conclusions no matter what they see, hear, read etc. People decide what to believe – and sometimes two people can see the same evidence and have very different views.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 2:00 pm

Yes, once all of the mail-in ballots are counted, Biden may win. But Trump is trying to get the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene and to order states to stop counting mail-in ballots that have yet to be counted even though they were postmarked on or before Election Day. Three of the nine Supreme Court justices were appointed by Trump and three others were appointed by other Republican presidents. So the SC has a 6-3 conservative majority that is likely to do Trump’s bidding.

• CARAMEL November 4, 2020 / 2:03 pm

They have discussed that on the news. They are all dismissing it as very unlikely to succeed.

Again….I am neutral….but you probably saw what happened in the UK after the Brexit referendum.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 2:27 pm

Yes I did. Things are nuts on both sides of the pond.

3. rugby843 November 4, 2020 / 10:02 am

Don’t let the bastards get you down is the advice I give to my family when things are so upsetting they start to control their everyday functioning.  I too am tired of this whole mess, tired of fighting and losing.Stay safe and healthy.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

4. Mister Bump UK November 4, 2020 / 10:18 am

That’s a shame. T(hat’s absolutely my analysis of the problem. Your electoral college needs to reflect voter numbers, or needs to not exist. It seems an unnecessary tier, far as I can tell.

5. slmret November 4, 2020 / 10:35 am

Hang in there — it’s not over until next month, and there’s a long way to go before then! There are undelivered ballots, dirty tricks, etc. to be resolved in that time, and there’s still a good chance for change.

• slmret November 4, 2020 / 2:15 pm

NBC has called Michigan for Biden — and there are 5 more states still counting. He’ll have to deal with Mitch McConnell, but, as Annie says below, Biden is the person who can do that — and Mitch will no longer be taking orders from Trump! Hang in there — we’re almost there!

6. annieasksyou November 4, 2020 / 10:38 am

I think your disappointment isn’t completely warranted. Yes, we should have seen a resounding condemnation of trump and all he stands for. But Biden will win—possibly by 4 points, when all the votes are counted.

We knew we had a divided country. We don’t know how much voter suppression occurred. We do know that Judge Sullivan has demanded the PO sweep those 300,000 votes that were entered into the system but never delivered.

We need to fight harder. Rest, my friend, but don’t despair. This is just the red mirage we were warned about. Trump will be gone in January.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 11:17 am

I hope you’re right, Annie. But even if you are and Biden is inaugurated in January, Mitch McConnell and the GOP will still be in control of the Senate, so that will make it nearly impossible for Biden to enact the changes that this country needs to restore democracy. And the Supreme Court and most of the federal district courts will have solid Republican majority judges. And Trump will continue to incite his rabid base and that will continue to divide the country even more.

I’m sorry, Annie, for being so pessimistic, but I am broken.

• annieasksyou November 4, 2020 / 2:07 pm

But we made inroads in Texas, Biden will take Arizona—and get close or maybe even take Georgia.

So as tough as it is, we are doing well in the long game. This is the last gasp of those who can’t accept the emerging America.

And if anyone can get anything done despite Mitch, it’s Joe Biden.

Gotta do something about those Latino men, though.

7. RuthScribbles November 4, 2020 / 10:43 am

Oh gosh. Please take care of yourself. Maybe we can team up to start a real push to abolish the electoral college, or support those that started a campaign already.

• lavenderandlevity November 4, 2020 / 1:33 pm

Yes. This is where our future lies. Disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, hatred and lies will be the norm until then. The Electoral College was created to disenfranchise non-landed, less educated voters and all folks of color. It has never *stopped* disenfranchising folks. It has got to go.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 2:02 pm

Maybe, but this will inevitably end up in the Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority. And even if Biden is ultimately declared the winner, he’ll have Mitch McConnell and a GOP majority in the Senate to deal with.

• Marleen November 5, 2020 / 12:20 pm

People are already talking, today, about the fact Trump operated with “acting” this and that in various offices. So… Biden shouldn’t try to make McConnell happy by nominating Republicans or Republican-lite. (Of course, that simple move won’t work for judges.)

He kinda is Republican-lite, though, so he may want to put Lincoln Project types in place.

• Marleen November 5, 2020 / 3:45 pm

It’ll be significant, in a number of ways, to replace the Secretary of Transportation.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 2:33 pm

But that was 60 years ago. No internet, no hacking of voting machines, no Twitter, Facebook, cable news, no Russian disinformation campaigns, and Democrats and Republicans were able to compromise when it was in the country’s best interests. The times are very different today.

8. Marilyn Armstrong November 4, 2020 / 4:10 pm

You might save your despair until you know what’s happening. Things are changing by the minute. Stop complaining and WATCH.

9. Olga Brajnović November 5, 2020 / 3:18 am

When we anticipate bad times, we see things worst than they are, and pessimism is a trap. I understand you must be exhausted. And I’m worried about you. I’m in another country, and I can feel the stress of what¡s happening to you. I hope Biden will win this election and find a way to get Trump out of the White House in a peaceful way.

10. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing November 5, 2020 / 12:43 pm

Keep the faith my friend. It is not over yet. No fat lady is singing. It seems now that both senate seats in Georgia are going to a run-off. If Joe Biden is successful in taking the presidency then voting again in GA for the senate seats may well come out as Democratic wins. We end up 50-50 in the senate and Harris would be a deciding vote in the event of any ties and we wouldn’t have to worry about McConnell. It’s not all lost. It’s just a long wait that is excruciatingly painful. Take your break and do something nice for yourself. In another week it will look better. ☺️

• Fandango November 5, 2020 / 10:20 pm

Yes, and with Trump taking cases to the Supreme Court, this could take quite a while before it’s finally settled.

11. Marleen November 5, 2020 / 10:35 pm

Last night, when I started feeling like it’s a pretty sure thing everything’ll turn out alright, I got out some of that tea… don’t know if you’ve seen it… that is a ball of green leaves with a flower that “blooms” out of the middle of it after you steep it. It’s very relaxing; was beyond enjoyable.

The night before, I had two sons trying to talk me into leaving the United States. I actually started looking at homes in New Zealand. Tonight, I was contemplating that the NSA, or whoever, was likely monitoring the web, Tuesday night, to see numbers of people looking into visas and so forth.

• Marleen November 6, 2020 / 8:29 am

It was said that on the night of “leave” winning in the UK, the most common search (there) was “what is brexit”.