Truthful Tuesday — Pro-Choice

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank wants to know…

Aside from getting rid of the Gutenberg Block Editor, since it’s fairly clear that it isn’t going anywhere, what three changes would you like to see WordPress.com make? Please explain.

First, I am pro-choice, so when it comes to editors in WordPress, I would like WordPress to offer bloggers a choice. Allow users who have embraced the block editor to use it, but also allow those of us who prefer the classic editor to continue, unimpeded, to use that editor. It should be as simple as putting a toggle switch that sets one or the other as the default editor on WordPress.com.

Second, add a preview function when posting comments. How many times have you posted a comment and then read it only to find typos or misspellings. Why not allow us to preview our comments and edit them before they’re actually posted? Good idea, huh?

Third, fix the reblog functionality. When I am in the WordPress reader on my iPhone and visit a blogger’s post, I always see a reblog button. But if I wish to reblog that blogger’s post and click (or tap) the reblog button, nothing happens. It’s virtually useless (at least on my iPhone. So fix the damn reblog button so that it does what it’s intended to do.

Okay, those are my three changes I’d like to see WordPress make. Are you with me?

17 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Pro-Choice

1. PCGuyIV November 3, 2020 / 9:00 am

The comment preview is brilliant! I could definitely get behind that.

2. slmret November 3, 2020 / 9:21 am

Maybe it’s the classic editor — I’d like to see a return to the simplicity of the free version — log in, write post, adding photos as you go or at a later time, publish.

3. rugby843 November 3, 2020 / 9:34 am

Number two comment preview is something I need!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

4. Melanie B Cee November 3, 2020 / 10:08 am

Great ideas Fandango. Here’s hoping they implement the second suggestion I made, and then put yours into full effect! That could be magical thinking though…

• Fandango November 3, 2020 / 10:18 pm

I tried to like and comment on your post, but I’m having trouble found so from my reader. Seems the latest update to the iPhone app that I downplayed today has screwed things up. So my suggestion to WordPress is to not release updates to its app until they have been thoroughly tested.

• Melanie B Cee November 4, 2020 / 7:10 am

It may have been my site. I’m due for renewal and they could be trying harder to push me to pay early? *grumble*

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 10:40 am

No, it’s not just your site. It’s quite a few, but not all.

5. Taswegian1957 November 3, 2020 / 3:24 pm

I’d agree with all of these, especially comment preview. I know you can edit a comment after publication but I would much prefer to fix the typos before publishing.

• Fandango November 3, 2020 / 10:34 pm

I don’t think you can edit a comment you made on another blogger’s post after you sent it. You can only edit comments on your posts after they have been sent.

6. Sadje November 3, 2020 / 5:53 pm

Great idea about the comment preview. I have often posted comments with typos. You can reblog a post from your phone but through the browser and not the app.

7. Marilyn Armstrong November 4, 2020 / 12:46 pm

If you hit “refresh and THEN reblog, it’ll work. Agree about all the others.

• Fandango November 4, 2020 / 1:06 pm

I’ll try that, but I don’t think it works that way on my iPhone.

8. leigha66 November 10, 2020 / 4:02 pm

A preview on comments would be good, I know I have noticed typos as soon as I hit the send button but it is too late so also add the ability to edit after you have posted a comment.