Share Your World — Taste, Admiration, and Regret

Share Your WorldMelanie’s Share Your World prompt this week asks a few relatively simple, non-controversial questions, which is just the ticket for the day before election day in the United States. Here goes:

Which meal is your favorite: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

As those of you who read my blog know, I lost my sense of taste early this year (another reason to despise 2020) as a result of surgery in my middle ear. One of the nerves that apparently enables you to have a sense of taste in your mouth was severed and now almost everything I eat is rather tasteless. So rather than depending upon taste to get any sensation from my food, I depend upon texture. For breakfast, I have cold cereal with raisins, bananas, and, of course, milk. While that might not sound like much to get excited about, breakfast is now my favorite meal because of the crunchy nature of the cereal flakes, and the texture of the raisins and bananas. And I can taste the coldness of the milk. Unfortunately, everything I eat tastes bland. My dear wife tries really hard to make meals that tickle my taste buds, but my taste buds are no longer ticklish.

Who do you admire most in the world?

These days, there aren’t very many admirable people left. That said, with Barrack Obama coming out over the past few weeks to support Joe Biden, I was reminded of what a smart, articulate, intelligent, sane, and normal president can be. And while Obama was far from perfect, when compared with the current madman we have in the Oval Office at the moment (and hopefully for not too many more moments), I have to say that I truly do admire Barrack Obama.

With the obvious restrictions in place, what do you regret not doing in the last year?

I regret not being able to spend more time face-to-face with my grown children, and, particularly not being able to spend more time with my five month old grandchild.

Melanie also asks us to share something we are grateful for.

I am grateful that tomorrow is election day and that we shall soon (probably not by the end of the day tomorrow, though) know who won the election. And I’m grateful that, if Biden wins, on January 20, 2021, Inauguration Day, our country can begin to recover from this madness we have been living with for the past four years.

20 thoughts on “Share Your World — Taste, Admiration, and Regret

1. Melanie B Cee November 2, 2020 / 10:46 am

Wonderful Share Your World today, Fandango! I echo your sentiments about the potential outcome of this election. You’re the second to list President Obama as your admired person, it is refreshing to be reminded of sanity when insanity is what we’ve had to live with for these past years. You ought to check out my Word of the Day tomorrow (the version on my site). You’ll get a chuckle I think!

• Fandango November 2, 2020 / 11:50 am

Thanks, Melanie. I’ll keep my eye out for it.

2. relaxitsallwrite November 2, 2020 / 4:02 pm

Oh my…I feel for you, losing your sense of taste. At least you’ve learned to take pleasure in your other senses. Still though…

• Fandango November 2, 2020 / 4:13 pm

Yeah, it sucks to have no sense of taste. But because I can’t really taste much of anything anymore and food is less appetizing, I’ve lost some weight, so I guess that’s a good thing, right?

3. anotherday2paradise November 2, 2020 / 6:11 pm

Yes, Obama has much to be admired including his basketball shot. 👏🏻 I’m on tenterhooks for tomorrow. It’s been nerve racking and we need some peace of mind. 🙏🏻

4. Sadje November 2, 2020 / 6:12 pm

It is tough not being able to taste food. I was hoping that you would recover the sense with time. I am with you on election results

• Fandango November 2, 2020 / 9:58 pm

I was hoping I’d recover my sense of taste, too, but alas, that’s not the case. As to the election results, we may know something 24 hours from now. Or not.

5. Carol anne November 3, 2020 / 6:55 pm

great answers fandango! It must be hard not to have a sense of taste! I admire obama also!

6. leigha66 November 9, 2020 / 8:29 pm

I never thought about how food texture would take more of a forefront with the absence of taste. Well now we know who won, but will the election go to court?

• Fandango November 9, 2020 / 10:01 pm

He probably will attempt to go to court, but most say there’s no basis for him to make his case.