Who Won the Week? 11/01/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

It’s kind of unusual for me to say that someone who just passed away is my Who Won the Week winner, but as a tribute to a man I consider to be one of the great actors of our time, I’m awarding this week’s Who Won the Week to Sean Connery.Sean ConnerySean Connery was the first, and in my opinion, the best, James Bond. He brought Ian Fleming’s eponymous secret service agent to life. Some may have preferred the Bond character as portrayed by other actors, but I believe that Connery set the bar high.

He played 007 in the first five Bond films: Dr. No (1962), From Russia with Love (1963), Goldfinger (1964), Thunderball (1965), and You Only Live Twice (1967). But not wanting to be typecast, Connery ultimately gave up the role of James Bond after that, although he did briefly reprise the role in Diamonds Are Forever (1971) and Never Say Never Again (1983).

Connery went on to star in a number of other acclaimed films, including, with Michael Caine, one of my favorites, The Man Who Would Be King.So, Mr. Connery, thanks for the memories. May you Rest In Peace.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

27 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? 11/01/2020

• lindakempwriter November 1, 2020 / 11:00 pm

Hubster and I watched Goldfinger yesterday in honour of Mr Connery. My poor bloke was in mourning 😥

• Fandango November 1, 2020 / 11:09 pm

I was surprised at how I reacted to his death. It shook me.

• lindakempwriter November 1, 2020 / 11:12 pm

Even though we don’t know them personally, the loss of public figure, actor, celebrity still bites. I’ll be in a darkened room, heavily medicated, when Brad Pitt dies. Sad, but true.

• Fandango November 2, 2020 / 9:54 am

Ha! Brad Pitt is a good actor, but he ain’t no Sean Connery. 😉

• Fandango November 1, 2020 / 10:06 pm

I’m sorry about your friend. I read that Sean Connery was suffering from Alzheimer’s.

1. Marleen November 1, 2020 / 1:47 pm

I wondered if you would mention him. He went in his sleep, they said, so that’s good. I agree that he was a great actor. My first date (1980) with the man I married involved one of his replacements for Bond in a (non-Bond) rather boring movie [in my opinion], within the genre (the movie was Ffolkes.)

I’ll have to see The Man Who Would Be King.

• Fandango November 1, 2020 / 10:08 pm

I definitely recommend The Man Who Would Be King.

2. rugby843 November 1, 2020 / 3:11 pm

I almost out that movie on tonight, but I did that a few years ago.  I agree it’s one of his best.  I agree with your choice.🥰

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

3. dharkanein November 1, 2020 / 5:16 pm

I agree with you. He was like a connection to my mother. But alas this chapter closed too, leaving me staring at the blank space. RIP. Sir Sean Connery.

4. Mister Bump UK November 1, 2020 / 10:56 pm

I just heard that Robert Fisk died too. While I enjoyed Connery’s acting, Fisk was far more significant to me. I’ve read several of his books.
    I hear Connery sied in his sleep, which is surely the best way to go.

• Mister Bump UK November 1, 2020 / 11:29 pm

serious journo. Middle East. Had a greater understanding of the whys and wherefores than anyone I ever read.

• Ian Kay November 2, 2020 / 3:15 am

You probably know the technique of fisking which has popular usage in social media discussions. That’s down to him.

One of Connery’s earlier films, made between his Bonds, I think, is “The Hill” – about a harsh military prison. Well worth finding.

• Fandango November 2, 2020 / 10:03 am

Thanks for the tip on “The Hill.” I’ll look for it. As far as the term “fisking,” I don’t think I’ve ever hear it used, but I really don’t do much social media.