Sunday Writing Prompt — It Was a Joke

At first I thought it was a joke that Donald Trump, a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth, a failed real estate tycoon, and a TV reality show star with no political experience would be seriously running for President of the United States. Most others thought it was a joke, too.

But as illogical as it sounds, he won the Republican nomination and in November 2016, he managed, despite losing the popular vote by almost three million, to achieve a surprising victory in the Electoral College. And on January 20, 2017, he was sworn in as the 45th American president.

Little did most of us know that his election would turn out to be an augury of the fall of the American democracy.

An now, with an election just a few days away, I have an ominous feeling that the worst president in American history may, somehow, pull off another “victory” handed to him by a stacked, Republican Supreme Court.

And that, my friends, is no joke.

Written for the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Sunday Writing Prompt, which is to write a story that contains or make reference to a joke of some kind. Also for these daily prompts: Ragtag Daily Prompt (spoon), The Daily Spur (illogical), Word of the Day Challenge (surprising), Your Daily Word Prompt (augury), and Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (ominous).

19 thoughts on “Sunday Writing Prompt — It Was a Joke

1. Sadje November 1, 2020 / 7:28 pm

That outcome will be very disappointing to say the least.

2. Christine Goodnough November 1, 2020 / 7:55 pm

I don’t know enough about politics to understand how the US Supreme Court can elect a president, but from what I’m picking up here and there, I think you might be right about Mr Trump getting elected. It sounds like Joe Biden has had some questionable involvements that have come back to hamper him.
    Another impression I get is that the current President wouldn’t have such a good chance of re-election if the Right weren’t so afraid of the Left taking the whole country off the deep end. That mistrust goes a lot deeper than personality. Perhaps he has turned belligerent to cope with the constant criticism, or maybe he always was. But I’m not sure if his ability (or lack of) is, or ever was, the main issue.

• Marleen November 1, 2020 / 8:25 pm

The Sureme Court really shouldn’t. But they (on the Republican side) have figured out ways. For instance, they said to stop counting ballots in 2000.

I voted Republican at that time, but I knew this was wrong.

And now: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/supreme-court-south-carolina-mail-ballots-signature.html

SCOTUS has become the place where voting rights go to die… With no noted dissents, the court let the state reimpose the witness rule—although, as usual for a shadow docket case, it didn’t explain its decision.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote a concurring opinion citing the notorious Purcell principle, which holds that courts should not alter voting laws in the runup to an election. But the lower courts did not actually alter the voting procedures currently in place; they simply preserved the status quo, since the witness requirement has been suspended since May. It was the Supreme Court that changed the status quo on Monday by imposing the witness requirement less than one month from Election Day, violating the principle that Kavanaugh claimed to vindicate.

• Marleen November 1, 2020 / 8:38 pm

This concocted case has only gone to a state Supreme Court, rather than the US Supreme Court, so far. But the plaintiffs are going to a federal court next.

The all-Republican court denied the challenge by a Republican activist and three Republican candidates in the state arguing that the drive-thru polling sites in the largely Democratic Harris County are unconstitutional.

• Fandango November 1, 2020 / 10:37 pm

The “questionable involvements” by Biden are based upon bogus misinformation and outright lies emanating from Russia. And as to the left taking the country off the deep end, the right has been doing that for decades. In 2000, a Supreme Court ruling gave a very close election to George W. Bush when it suspended counting ballots in Florida. This year, Trump has promised to litigate every jurisdiction where Biden wins the popular vote, by challenging the legitimacy of the Democratic ballots and expects to have the Supreme Court, with 6 of 9 judges appointed by Republicans presidents (including 3 by Trump), to rule to disallow those votes.

• Christine Goodnough November 2, 2020 / 5:54 am

Oh dear! Never heard that last bit.
        Sadly, lies and bogus info seem to abound these days. As to going off the deep end, I suppose this view depends on what and where citizens perceive the disaster to be.
        Oops — I’m sounding like a lawyer. 🙂

3. Taswegian1957 November 1, 2020 / 8:24 pm

I am afraid it is a sad commentary on people who, if they vote at all choose personality over policies. It happens here too.

4. Marilyn Armstrong November 1, 2020 / 8:30 pm

Let’s try to retain some semblance of hope. I’m sure he will declare a victory, no matter what the votes say … but I think if he gets the right “deal” (others agree with this) he’ll get out. Or so I hope. And then again, maybe this is all his bluster.

• Fandango November 1, 2020 / 10:40 pm

I wish I had a semblance of hope, Marilyn, but I don’t. And I am expecting there to be violence in the streets after this election if Trump loses.

5. Jeff Flesch November 1, 2020 / 8:31 pm

Hm. I am a bit more optimistic about Tuesday. Though I do understand your feeling. Here’s to 4 years with Biden. Have a great week.😊

6. lindakempwriter November 1, 2020 / 10:52 pm

I don’t understand anything about US politics and elections at all, the primaries, and especially the Electoral Colleges. And gerrymandering. Like, huh? But even in my ignorance I can see that over the next few days the coverage is hard to watch, and hard not to.