SoCS — Trick-or-Treat

Tonight’s the night, but I have no basis on which to predict how many trick-or-treaters will be ringing our doorbell tonight. That’s because this is our first Halloween in our new neighborhood. For the previous decade we lived in the city and we never had trick-or-treaters come to our house. Not one in ten years.

That didn’t stop us last year from buying three bags of fun-sized candy bars because, you know, just in case. We ended up, yet again, with zero trick-or-treaters and with three full bags of fun-sized candy bars that we slowly consumed during the whole month of November.

Now we live in the burbs and there are a lot kids, from toddlers to teens, who live in our neighborhood. So if times were normal, we’d expect a deluge of trick-or-treaters at our door tonight.

But these aren’t normal times. We’re experiencing a pandemic that has killed more than 225,000 Americans with more than nine million having contracted the virus. I know that if we still had young children in our home, we would not permit them to go house to house begging for candy.

But I don’t know what other parents in our neighborhood are going to do this year about letting their kids go trick-or-treating. Thus, I have no idea what to expect tonight. Will we get a large showing of kids at our door or will we get none?

Too much or not enough?

My wife doesn’t want to take any chances of coming up short when it comes to candy this year, so we bought eight bags of fun-sized candy bars. My guess, though, is that’s probably seven bags too many, which will mean that we’ll have enough leftover fun-sized candy bars to slowly consume at least through January.

We’re in a new neighborhood and in a new world where social distancing and wearing face masks is the new normal. So who knows? I guess we’ll find out by later tonight.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Written for Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, where the word is “trick.”

18 thoughts on “SoCS — Trick-or-Treat

1. rugby843 October 31, 2020 / 7:18 am

I haven’t had any since I moved into an apartment complex n WY.  In our home in CO we had them, a small town and it was fun.  I doubt even there it will happen this year

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

2. Paula Light October 31, 2020 / 7:30 am

Happy Halloween! I bought one big bag “just in case,” but I’ll probably end up giving it to my daughter tomorrow unopened 👻

3. newepicauthor October 31, 2020 / 8:08 am

Every time somebody rang my doorbell on Halloween, my dog always thought it was for her.

4. Melanie B Cee October 31, 2020 / 8:35 am

I don’t expect any, and by the laws of Murphy, that means I’ll probably get slammed. I have candy ‘just in case’…but will admit it’s been nibbled on (a big no no, but what you gonna do?) I am thinking of taking the decorations down in case there are vandals, but so far so good – nothing untoward has occurred here yet and no need to borrow trouble, is there? Enjoy the candy!

5. D. Wallace Peach October 31, 2020 / 8:57 am

We live so far out in the woods that we never get trick or treaters anyway. You’ll probably get some socially distancing kids. I can see it working fairly okay if everyone is careful. What a weird year. I hope you enjoy the candy!

6. slmret October 31, 2020 / 10:57 am

Enjoy the few kids who come by — and, even more, enjoy the month or two worth of candy!

7. Taswegian1957 October 31, 2020 / 4:48 pm

As you know it is not a big deal over here but locally several families put treats on tables outside their homes. The addresses were published on the local FB page and the parents went out with the kids. I believe those who joined in had a good time. I wasn’t one of them this year. Of course it is spring here and daylight till well after 7pm and a very safe neighbourhood . We haven’t had any Covid in Tassie for over two months either.

• Fandango October 31, 2020 / 10:44 pm

You’re fortunate. COVID is out of control in the U.S, with 100,000 new cases and 1,000 deaths per day.

• Taswegian1957 November 1, 2020 / 3:16 am

We are very fortunate in Australia and NZ also to have few remaining cases. Every day I read of more deaths in the USA, Britain and Europe. It seems to be getting worse everywhere else but we can’ t become complacent. Once we open up to more international travelers we are still at risk.

8. Susan Gutterman November 1, 2020 / 6:25 pm

We live in a neighborhood that usually has lots of trick-or-treaters. This year, sadly, we posted a sign saying that there would be no trick-or-treat at our house for everyone’s health and safety. Didn’t have a single one. I did give a couple of of favorite neighborhood children a bag of candy.

9. leigha66 November 7, 2020 / 10:19 am

Surprisingly we had a few more this year than last, We had 18 masked visitors. But I did notice the age of those out was older this year, not many very young ones.