Senior Moments

Yesterday, Garry Armstrong, Marilyn’s other half, shared a very humorous post about the day he lost his car keys. As we get older, it seems we each experience more and more of these so-called senior moments. And when I read — and related to — Garry’s post, I was reminded of a senior moment I had this summer.

Every morning, after I get up and take my shower, I get dressed and I put on my watch and my wedding band. I wear my wedding band, as most of us do, on the ring finger of my left hand. I’ve been doing this every single day of my life since my wife and I got married in 1978, so for 42 years.

Anyway, a few months ago, after I got home from walking our dog in the morning, I noticed that I didn’t have my wedding band on. I was sure that I remembered putting it on that morning, but maybe I had gotten distracted or something. I went to the bedroom and looked on my chest of drawers to see if it was there. Nope. Then I went into the bathroom to see if, perhaps, I had left it on the sink. Nope.

Then I thought it must have somehow fallen off my finger when I was walking the dog. I remembered that she had seen a squirrel and had tugged at the leash, and maybe that was when the band flew off. So I went outside and carefully retraced my steps from the morning walk, my eyes focused on the street, the curb, and the grassy areas onto which she might have wandered. But after about an hour of meticulously searching, I came up empty handed. Or empty banded.

I walked back into the house and said to my wife, “Don’t be mad, but I lost my wedding band.” Then I asked her if she had, by any chance, seen it.

She looked at me and said, “I have seen it.”

“Oh, that’s a relief,” I said. “Where is it?”

She reached over and grabbed my right hand and held it out in front of me. “It’s on your ring finger,” she said.

Sure enough, there was my wedding band securely situated on the ring finger of my right hand. My right hand! For the first time in 42 years, I had somehow put my wedding band on the ring finger of my right hand instead of where it belongs and has resided for 42 years — on the ring finger of my left hand.

“Oops,” I said. My wife just shook her head.

20 thoughts on “Senior Moments

1. Marleen October 28, 2020 / 10:48 am

That’s a good one. 😏 And your wife’s calm response was funny.

2. Lisa M. Boyd October 28, 2020 / 10:59 am

That’s actually funny, I could myself doing that except mine only fits on my left hand ring finger. I love when you’re looking for your cell phone so stressed. Ringer is off, and it is in your hand. Duh! 🙄 Me!

3. Mister Bump UK October 28, 2020 / 11:25 am

I have two wedding bands, one actual 18ct-gold wedding band and a $10 silver one I got about 10 years ago after I lost a load of weight, plus fancied a change of colour. Have not seen either since the stroke….god knows…

4. Marilyn Armstrong October 28, 2020 / 11:41 am

Just IMAGINE how confused we will be in another 10 years, should we manage to live that long. Yikes!

• Fandango October 28, 2020 / 12:00 pm

Something to look forward to, eh?

5. pensitivity101 October 28, 2020 / 12:13 pm

Blonde moments? Craft moments? Boat moments? We all have them. Hubby is forever losing his glasses….. all four pairs of them (2 readers, 2 distance). Even if I stapled them to his head he wouldn’t find them. Glad you found your ring. Could have been you were in front of a mirror when you put it on.

6. Melanie B Cee October 28, 2020 / 12:50 pm

At least you didn’t lose it. I lost mine (it was a plain gold band) about four years after hubby and I got married. He never let me forget that either, but I got a second one that Christmas…when I was preparing to move away, I found my original ring…in the dirt beside my driveway. Fourteen years from when I first put it on… It was a little scratched, but otherwise no worse for wear.

• Fandango October 28, 2020 / 1:13 pm

Wow. Found after 14 years in the dirt. That’s amazing.