Share Your World — All Hope is Lost

Share Your WorldIt’s Monday and that means it’s time once again for Melanie to prompt us to Share Your World with her. Here’s what she asks us to share today.

What’s the tallest building you’ve been to the top of?

The World Trade Center in New York before it was felled by airplanes flying into the towers on 9-11.

What do you do to keep fit?

Walk and stretch.

What’s your jack-o-lantern carved to look like?

I haven’t carved a jack-o-lantern since my kids were in high school.

Do you have hope or have you lost it?

I’ve always thought of myself as a glass half-full guy, but right now I have lost hope for America. I think that, if all the votes in next week’s elections were counted in a fair, honest way, Joe Biden would win the election and be our next president and this Trumpian nightmare would finally be over. But I’ve lost hope that, with all of the shenanigans that the Republicans are pulling, with the aid of Russia and some other foreign sources, and with GOP voter suppression and ballots lost or tossed, this will not be a fair election and that Donald Trump will, possibly via the Supreme Court’s 6-3 conservative majority (three of the nine justices appointed by Trump), not be removed from the White House. Or, if by some miracle, Biden is ultimately declared the winner, Trump will not go quietly, and his Proud Boys, QAnon, and right-wing militia friends will take to the streets and chaos will ensue.

So do I have hope or have I lost it? As of today, I’ve lost it. Ask me again on January 20, 2021 and I may have a different answer.

22 thoughts on “Share Your World — All Hope is Lost

1. Melanie B Cee October 26, 2020 / 11:05 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World. Sadly enough, many of us share your viewpoint. I just wish it were all over , whatever the outcome. Nothing good can come of it.

2. Sadje October 26, 2020 / 11:05 am

I do hope that it is the result you’re waiting and rooting for.

3. Olga Brajnović October 26, 2020 / 11:30 am

I’m looking at your situation from far away, and I think there is a danger in losing hope too soon. Pessimism is like giving up. I’m worried because I love the US, and I want the best for that great Country. I want to transmit from here my best wishes for the good people who want to save democracy and peace. I have faith in them. Please, don’t lose hope.

• Fandango October 26, 2020 / 11:33 am

Thanks. Unfortunately, I think democracy in the U.S. is all but dead. And even if Biden wins (or is declared the winner), it will take a long, long time for this country to recover. If ever it can.

• Marleen October 26, 2020 / 1:29 pm

I actually think you’re right. But we have to try. I appreciate what you said elsewhere, today (in others of your answer on your blog), that you might feel differently after January 20th. However we feel, of course, we put one foot in front of the other and keep on.

• Marleen October 26, 2020 / 1:36 pm

Oh… that, the 20th, was in the opening (rather than in the comments) for this thread. 😃

4. anotherday2paradise October 26, 2020 / 11:34 am

Never say die, it ain’t over till the fat lady sings. I’ve got everything crossed for a positive election outcome. 🙂

5. Marleen October 26, 2020 / 12:29 pm

Speaking of Michael Steele, who I mentioned under another topic this morning, he has pointed out that the “logic” (really just lies) mouthed by Donald Trump that he hasn’t let America be effected by COVID-19 — because the numbers are just because of blue states — would mean Americans didn’t die on 9/11 (in the blue state and blue city, New York, where [btw] he [Trump] lived).

6. DailyMusings October 26, 2020 / 2:23 pm

I feel as you do, a bit hope-less….I have never seen such disregard for other people in my life before this, the hate, the bullying, my head wants to explode. What a sad state we are in

• Fandango October 26, 2020 / 3:44 pm

I know. I knew that Trump would be a bad president but I never imagined that he would be THIS bad.

• lssattitudeofgratitude October 26, 2020 / 7:56 pm

No rational person could have ever believed anyone in our highest office would have such disregard for the people. So sad.

7. Taswegian1957 October 26, 2020 / 3:26 pm

Watching from a distance and reading the posts and comments of all my US blogger friends all I can say is that I hope this doesn’t go as badly as many of you fear it might. I thought that it was just a matter of getting people to vote but now I worry that may not be enough. Let’s hope we are wrong.