Blogging Insights — Sensitivity Training

Blogging insightsFor this week’s edition of Blogging Insights, Dr. Tanya wants to know how we deal in our blogs with touchy or sensitive topics. Dr. Tanya poses six question, the first two of which were from Melanie over at Sparks from a Combustible Mind in this post of hers. The remaining four are from Dr. Tanya. So let’s get a little touchy-feely, shall we?

Melanie’s questions:

Warning “labels”: when one is writing about something that could potentially be ‘touchy’ to some folks — Pros and cons

Personally, I don’t put warning labels on my posts. I suppose I do write posts that some might consider controversial (e.g., politics, religion). But most people who are familiar with my blog know that about me and I don’t see the point about warning people in advance that they might find what they’re about to read offensive or might trigger them. I find Donald Trump offensive and he triggers me, but I don’t see any warning labels before he tweets something or shows his ugly orange face on TV.

Censorship: is it censorship if one blogs ‘sensitively’ (aka soft pedals hard issues)? Should writers have to think of every possible reader their writing might touch, every single scenario where a reader might take offense and so on? I’m not thinking of blatant offensiveness (and what’s offensive to one person isn’t necessarily to the next one in line), but a general trying to cover all bases all the time type of thing.

It’s my blog and I blog anonymously. One of the reasons I blog anonymously is so that I can say on my blog what I really think and feel without fear that some redneck, far-right MAGA hat wearing lemming will pull out a pistol and shoot me in the head or that a God-fearing Christian will condemn me to eternity in hell because I’m an atheist. Do I think of every possible reader who my writing might offend? Fuck no! Should I? Fuck no! Should you? That’s up to you.

Now for Dr. Tanya’s questions.

Do you post about touchy or sensitive topics on your blog? If so, what kind of subjects do you like to discuss?

Yes. I post about sex, religion, politics, and whatever else crosses my mind. My posts can, I suppose, contain touchy, sensitive topics. When one is posting an opinion, there are bound to be others in the blogosphere who will be offended, outraged, or triggered by something I write. That’s their problem, not mine.

Do you respond to sensitive or controversial subjects in the form of prompts?

Yes. Why wouldn’t I? I even have my own weekly “sensitive” or “controversial” prompt called “Fandango’s Provocative Questions.”

Do you take part in controversial discussions as part of a comments thread?

Of course. I will express my opinions in the comments. But when it arrives at the point where either nothing productive will come of it or it gets nasty, I will let it go.

How do you think sensitive subjects should be handled on the blogosphere?

Um, sensitively? Sorry, I was being facetious. I think bloggers should feel free to express their opinions and perspectives openly and honestly on their own blogs. Others can choose to be offended or not and can choose to read or not read other bloggers’ posts. As I am wont to say, “Whatever floats your boat.”

20 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Sensitivity Training

1. Melanie B Cee October 26, 2020 / 9:50 am

I enjoy your forthright and no holds barred style Fandango. And keep those provocative questions coming!!

2. rugby843 October 26, 2020 / 10:04 am

These answers don’t surprise me at all, and I agree, but I am not anonymous. There is a delete button or our choice when opening up a post, so I feel anyone can use that.  I do warn if it is violent or has language. Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

3. Sadje October 26, 2020 / 10:39 am

We know your views on most subjects and don’t need a warning before reading them. In fact your honest style of telling how things are is refreshing.

4. paeansunplugged October 26, 2020 / 10:40 am

“I find Donald Trump offensive and he triggers me, but I don’t see any warning labels before he tweets something or shows his ugly orange face on TV”….love this!

5. Marleen October 26, 2020 / 10:51 am

Or his baboon butt? Yeah, I obviously can’t stand him either. There’s a saying I’ve heard from Michael Steele (and others) a few times, “shows his behind.”

6. Paula Light October 26, 2020 / 11:43 am

Yep! If it offends, walk away. If it breaks the TOS, report it… and walk away. No need for WHINING!

7. Taswegian1957 October 26, 2020 / 3:22 pm

I sometimes warn readers if I’ve written a post that is a bad tempered rant about something that annoys me but by and large I stay away from controversial subjects on my own blog. I share it with my sister and our views are not the same about some things so I prefer not to go there. I will comment on other people’s blogs if there is a subject I feel strongly about. I think that it’s fine to have discussion and different opinions as long as it stays respectful.

8. Marilyn Armstrong October 27, 2020 / 4:59 pm

I don’t think writing sensitively is the same as “soft pedaling” hard issues. It’s more avoiding intentionally offending people which i always do because that’s how civilized people behave. Yes, i know we have a president who is offensive. I don’t have to imitate him. His offensiveness if one of the (many) reasons I loathe him. And there’s not excuse for it. You can address serious issues without going out of your way to fail to discuss them and I don’t think you offend people either. Your dislike of trump and all things trumpian are obvious, but I notice you don’t go out of your way to offend anyone. You present ideas and readers can agree or not. That’s opinion. You aren’t picking on someone and insulting their religion nor are you dragooning anyone to agree with you. That’s fine.

I don’t soft pedal anything. I probably couldn’t if I tried. I lack diplomatic skills (ask anyone, they’ll agree). But I am polite. I don’t skewer people because they believe things i don’t believe or fail to believe things in which I DO believe.

There are people who are too easy to offend. They shouldn’t read blogs. In fact, they should not go online. Mostly, they leave me alone, which is fine with me. The other thing is — this is NOT a democratic blog. Serendipity is NOT a public forum. It’s MY blog and my opinion is the one that counts. Anyone who strongly disagrees with my point of view need not read me. There are plenty of other places to go and they should go there. Please.

I’m also not open to war in my comments. My blog doesn’t anyone anything. I’m polite because I’m polite, but I’m also engaged. I don’t see that these two things need be separated. You don’t have to make fun of people to present a different point of view or very different opinions. Rudeness is always optional.

• Fandango October 27, 2020 / 6:42 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more, Marilyn.

9. Marilyn Armstrong October 27, 2020 / 5:01 pm

There are an excessive number of typos in the last thing I wrote. I do wish they would let us edit!

• Fandango October 27, 2020 / 6:43 pm

Don’t worry. You got your point across very well.

10. leigha66 November 2, 2020 / 8:39 am

Good answers. I try to put enough of a warning in my tags if someone should feel they might be a trigger. I think early on I may have put warnings on posts but I am less apt to now.