Fandango’s Flashback Friday — October 23

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 23rd) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on my old blog on October 23, 2011

I Felt The Earth Move — Twice

It was around 2:45 p.m. local time. I was working in my office at home when the sliding door that separates it from the hallway started to rattle.

I looked around for our cat because the rattling sound was similar to the sound it makes when he rubs up against the partially open sliding door. Only this time it was more like he had run full-force into the door. But the cat was nowhere in sight.

“Did you feel that?” I heard our son call out. “It was an earthquake.”

This was the first time that I had actually felt an earthquake since we took up residence in San Francisco. There had been others, I’d been told, but I either slept through them or they were virtually imperceptible.

Later that same day…

It was around 8:15 p.m. local time. My wife and I were sitting on the couch in the living room watching some TV drama that we had recorded on our DVR when the sofa suddenly started to vigorously vibrate. The shimmying lasted for only around ten seconds, but the whole house shook, as if some large truck had rammed into it from the street below.

My wife and I looked at each other with wide eyes. I yelled out to our son, who was at the back of the house in his bedroom. “Did you feel that? It was another earthquake,” I definitively declared, now that I’m experienced at detecting such things.

The good news is that there was no damage to anything inside our home. The same can’t be said, however, for a couple of cars that were parked beneath a tree down the block from our place. The tree was apparently uprooted by the shaking earth beneath it.

Ah, so this is what it’s like to live in San Francisco! Or wait. Maybe it’s just the beginning of the end.

17 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — October 23

1. kajmeister26 October 23, 2020 / 8:39 am

Flashback Friday: A year ago, we were finishing a seventeen-day wander up the Pacific coast, so I was musing on what it was like to be finally heading home. It was the last trip I took that was more than 50 miles from home. https://kajmeister.com/go-on-home-day-17-final-mosey

2. Sumyanna October 23, 2020 / 9:38 am

We usually visit California in the winter to escape the cold in Colorado. We usually stay in San Diego, but we have stayed also in San Francisco as well. Fortunately, I have never witnessed an earthquake. We don’t have those here although we are overdue one.

3. Marleen October 23, 2020 / 10:28 am

I’ve felt earthquakes in three states. The first time was while I was growing up in Saint Louis, Missouri. A number of neighbors congregated the next day and observed the crack down the length of our street. There was more than one time when I lived in California, I don’t remember how many. I was surprised that the experience wasn’t very alarming. It is if you think about the idea a piece of the coast could crack off into the ocean. The last one I’ve felt was due to fracking. This actually bothers me the most.

• Marleen October 23, 2020 / 10:35 am

That was fracking in Oklahoma, felt midway through Kansas.

• Marleen October 23, 2020 / 7:13 pm

I was just now looking at a map — it was felt MORE than midway through that next state.

4. Marleen October 24, 2020 / 3:39 pm

I like that you have strong family memories surrounding these events.

5. leigha66 November 1, 2020 / 12:11 am

I don’t think I could ever live in California for that very reason. At least here we usually get a little warning if a tornado or blizzard is going to happen… everything is fine and them BAM an earthquake hits. No thank you!

• Fandango November 1, 2020 / 6:38 am

Yeah it’s scary because when it happens all you can do is wait it out and hope the ground doesn’t open up beneath you.