The Monday Peeve — Moles

Through her The Monday Peeve prompt, Paula Light invites us to vent, to let off some stream, to get something off our chests. This week, my peeve is moles.

When we lived in the city, we had to deal with mice and rats and raccoons in the streets. But now that we live in the ‘burbs, I rarely run across any of those critters. However, I did notice the other day that there are some strange mounds developing in the mulch around our bushes in the front yard.

So I called a pest control company and asked to have them send someone out to investigate these strange mounds. The guy showed up today, took one look at the meandering mounds in my front yard and simply said, “Moles.”

I said, “Get rid of them.” He gave me a quote.

I said, “Gah!”

He said, “Big job, you got a pretty large colony of moles here.”

I said, “Do what you gotta do.”

My said, “I don’t want to kill animals.”

I said, “I don’t want to have to pay to have our lawn replaced.”

Now my wife is giving me the silent treatment.

Damn moles.

21 thoughts on “The Monday Peeve — Moles

• Fandango October 19, 2020 / 9:53 pm

I asked him if he was sure it was moles and not gophers and he assured me that it’s moles.

1. Marleen October 19, 2020 / 7:49 pm

I’ve had trails of craters in my yard due to voles. They look almost like mice.

• pensitivity101 October 20, 2020 / 8:15 am

They aerate the soil Jim, but eat the worms, which is not so good, especially as they have to eat twice their weight every day.

2. pensitivity101 October 20, 2020 / 8:14 am

Hubby used to be in pest control and is a qualified mole catcher. His fee was £10 a mole, but he had to catch them first, so no mole, no fee. He set up his traps for a friend whose dog was going ballistic over umpteen mole mounds in her lawn, and told her that she probably only had one, not a colony of them. We had only been gone five minutes when she rang to say one of the traps had gone off, so we went back, and Moley had met his demise. He left the rest of his traps down for a few days but there were no more takers……….. or mole hills.

3. rugby843 October 20, 2020 / 10:14 am

The Dancing Gopher  | | | | | |

| | | | The Dancing Gopher By Joe Chebat

| |

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

4. Melanie B Cee October 20, 2020 / 12:41 pm

Best to get rid of the problem now rather than let it spread and theoretically kill MORE animals. Your wife will be okay, it would have been nice if they had a humane relocation option, but I’m sure Animal Control in your area is more concerned with lost pets and other issues of that nature, than relocating moles…

5. leigha66 October 28, 2020 / 10:48 am

Just last week I saw a fox walking down the street. There are also the occasional possum, racoon and lots of squirrels. Good luck with your critter control!