Who Won the Week? — 10/18/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

For this week’s Who Won the Week, I’m going with a sign of the times.There’s an app called “Nextdoor” that I have on my iPhone and every day there are multiple posts about people stealing their political lawn signs. Seriously? Why would people do that? If someone has a political sign for one candidate or the other, does anyone really believe that swiping that sign is going to make a difference?

Anyway, the one and only hard copy magazine I subscribe to is The Week. And in this week’s edition, I read two short blurbs on the topic of political lawn sign thefts that I thought I’d share with you.

An Iowa man who pleaded guilty to stealing a “Biden-Harris” lawn sign then stole hundreds of copies of the local newspaper that reported on his crime. After his name appeared in the Dickinson County News police blotter, the 70-year-old man took entire stacks of the newspaper from multiple stores, earning another conviction and a far lengthier write-up in the Dickinson County News.

A municipal worker in Michigan required 13 stitches after moving a Trump lawn sign rigged with razor blades. The sign was closer to the roadway than permitted by local ordinance, the town supervisor said, and when the worker put his hands on it, he initially “thought it was electrified,” and then “realized he was bleeding aggressively.” The homeowner has denied doing the booby-trapping.

So, yeah, this week’s winner is a sign of the times…and a rather sad sign of the times, at that.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

20 thoughts on “Who Won the Week? — 10/18/2020

1. Marilyn Armstrong October 18, 2020 / 10:54 am

This was going on during the Obama campaigns too. It has been a sign of the time for about 20 years. Maybe more.

2. Marilyn Armstrong October 18, 2020 / 10:56 am

As long as there have been signs, there have been sign stealers. Why? Because a lot of people in this country are stupid.

3. rugby843 October 18, 2020 / 10:57 am

Personally I hate the littering of all these signs.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

• rugby843 October 18, 2020 / 4:48 pm

When my kids were in high school it was a favorite prank to take real estate signs and put on their friends’ property, sort of like teepeeing a home. As with most things, it’s out of hand now. But it is illegal and the kids responsible back then were found out.

4. CARAMEL October 18, 2020 / 11:30 am

I read on River’s blog that someone attacked (I think they burnt) the town donkey. It was a political donkey. She said it is very odd in her community for anything like that to happen.

5. Marleen October 18, 2020 / 12:52 pm

I bought my oldest son a 3’ by 5’ [Biden/Harris] campaign sign in flag shape. He thought I’d have time to figure out how to get a free, large sign; he thought it was obvious the campaign would give them away free. There were two problems with this thinking. First, the standard signs are not that big. Second, while you can, on a limited basis, get a free sign (with a recommended donation if so inclined), you have to go in, to an office, for this. They won’t mail it to you for nothing via ordering on a website. When I told him I had looked into all of this (and found the nearest office), he did go and pick up a regular yard sign — which I suggested to him could easily be lifted out and taken away. He chose to hand over a donation. Meanwhile, I chose a cloth thing from online to put on his flagpole… which isn’t likely to be stolen since it’s attached to the house (more readily overseen as he has Ring) and not simply plunked into the dirt. What I have in my yard are signs for local Democrats. My other sons don’t want any sign in their yard(s), and one lives in an apartment (while renting out his condo); another lives in New Zealand, gladly.

• Marleen October 19, 2020 / 8:15 pm

I glanced around the neighborhood, today, to see if there are any Trump or presidential campaign signs at all. There are none. Everyone has gone with only local races. So, you have to know something to have any clue how the neighbor leans. No one is trying to be “in your face.” I appreciate that.

6. leigha66 October 26, 2020 / 1:32 am

I really don’t understand why anyone would want to steal the signs. But to “arm them” with razor blades is just sickening!