Hide the Body

The ever inquisitive Rory, aka A Guy Called Bloke, wants to know…

How many friends do you have in either real life, social platforms, and WordPress, that would help you hide the body?

Rory was kind enough to categorize “friends” into these brackets:

• Intimate Friends
  • Bestest Friends
  • Close Friends
  • Friends
  • Casual Friends
  • Casual Acquaintances

First, let me say that I have a very small circle of friends in real life. I probably have fewer than twenty, excluding family members, across the top five categories Rory itemized. And as to “casual acquaintances,” helping me to hide a body is probably the last thing I’d ask a casual acquaintance.

Second, I assume that Rory’s question serves as a metaphor for someone who would do virtually anything you would ask of them and is not literally about hiding a body.

Operating under that assumption, I think the answer is one, and that one would be my one and only intimate friend, my wife. Note I said “I think” because I can’t be 100% certain that even she would go along with something she thought to be a bridge too far, such as, perhaps, hiding a dead body.

As to social media friends, the only Facebook friends I have are extended family members. I have no other “social platform” friends. While I have a lot of people I know from WordPress, many of whom I’d like to think are at least casual friends, I have never met any of them in real life. And since I blog anonymously, none of them even knows my real name. So I would hardly expect any of them to help me hide the body.

Bottom line, if I had a body to hide, I think I’d be on my own.

14 thoughts on “Hide the Body

1. Paula Light October 18, 2020 / 7:05 am

Yes, exactly my thoughts. A spouse:life partner would be the one to turn to in the trickiest situations. Children/parents might be trusted too ~ though I wouldn’t involve them in something illegal. But friends? No. None. Rory took exception to my answer, but it remains. I don’t have a “bestie” I’d trust with a deep dark secret, nor would I help a friend with something unsavory. Would I help a friend with something illegal or otherwise questionable? No! I’d have to consider what my employer or children would think if it was discovered…

2. Melanie B Cee October 18, 2020 / 8:12 am

I admit to being a bit startled at your candor, Fandango. I’d have thought you counted dozens of folks among your ‘friends’ IRL. That’s the thing about an ‘on-line’ persona though, isn’t it? People will make assumptions about others they don’t know, based on how the first person perceives the second through written format.

• Fandango October 18, 2020 / 4:27 pm

My wife and I have moved around a lot, and so maintaining really close friends over long distances and over time is difficult.

• Fandango October 18, 2020 / 4:29 pm

Ha! I think most of them perished at a fire at the OK Coral.

3. CARAMEL October 18, 2020 / 11:46 am

I like you….but nowhere near enough to help you hide a body.
    So please don’t call me if that happens!

• Fandango October 18, 2020 / 4:52 pm

Don’t worry, Mel. Geographically speaking, you wouldn’t be at the top of my list. 😉

4. Irene October 18, 2020 / 7:45 pm

I would help you call the police and get a good lawyer 😊

• Fandango October 18, 2020 / 10:29 pm

Well, that’s better than nothing, I guess. Thanks, Irene.