Blogger — Just for Grins and Giggles

Since I tend to scream like a banshee every time I have to deal with the WordPress block editor, I went and created a blog on Blogger (blogspot.com) today. I used to blog on Blogger many years ago, but I ultimately, after a short stint using TypePad, moved my blog to WordPress in 2013, where, until recently, I’d been relatively happy.

It didn’t take me too long to set up my blog on Blogger. It wasn’t a cinch, per se, but it was relatively straightforward. And I posted by first post this morning, which, if you wish to read it, you can click here.

I am not sure if I am going to keep that Blogger blog. I guess that depends on whether or not WordPress is going to shitcan the classic editor in the few iterations remaining — on the wp-admin site and within the WordPress app for iOS.

But I can tell you that one mighty difference between WordPress and Blogger is that Blogger has a simple, word processor-like editor that is more well suited for the kind of blogging that I do than is that stupid block editor in WordPress.

That is the primary tangible benefit that Blogger has over WordPress. But there are some intangible benefits that WordPress has that might ultimately make it hard for me to leave WordPress entirely. For example, there’s no “like” button on Blogger. And I don’t think the Blogger community is as large, robust, and supportive as it is here on WordPress.

Of course, I’ve been blogging on WordPress for more than seven years and on Blogger (this time around) for just a few hours, so it’s premature to make any definitive decisions.

Any thoughts any of you might have on WordPress versus Blogger will be welcome.

Written with these daily prompts in mind: Word of the Day Challenge (banshee), Your Daily Word Prompt (cinch), Ragtag Daily Prompt (mighty), and Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (intangible).

24 thoughts on “Blogger — Just for Grins and Giggles

1. Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2020 / 11:14 am

The big problem with Blogger (I have a site there too, which I more or less abandoned) is the absence of comments. There’s no easy communications between blogger and followers and it’s hard to figure out if anyone is really interested in what you are saying. Maybe they’ve changed, but i don’t think so. This is a complaint you hear often among Blogger users and I have not heard anything different in years.

2. Mister Bump UK October 16, 2020 / 11:20 am

I am sure somebody mentioned that Blogger had plans to go the same way (ish) that WP is going. No idea whether this is true but worth checking out if there are any press releases etc.

3. newepicauthor October 16, 2020 / 12:03 pm

I left you a comment on your new site, but I have no idea how you will be able to respond to me.

• Fandango October 16, 2020 / 12:58 pm

I don’t know either, Jim. And, as far as I can tell, there is no “like” button on Blogger.

• newepicauthor October 16, 2020 / 1:03 pm

There has to be something out there that will work for non business bloggers, but because I blog on a desktop, the Block Editor is not that bad, once you get used to it.

• Fandango October 16, 2020 / 1:49 pm

I have created an account at Medium but I haven’t yet posted anything there.

4. Paula Light October 16, 2020 / 2:52 pm

I still have a blogger blog, just in case, with one post saying bye moved to WP. Could easily return if necessary… and I consider the lack of a like button a feature. People just click it mindlessly, including me. It’s not a bad thing to force actual words out of readers if they have something to say 🎃

• Fandango October 16, 2020 / 4:24 pm

They don’t seem to value those of us who just want to write.

5. Renard Moreau October 16, 2020 / 6:14 pm

🙂 Please choose wisely, Fandango.

Blogger might be nice and simple, but it does not have strong support from their fellow bloggers like we do here on WordPress.

• Fandango October 16, 2020 / 8:27 pm

I know you’re right, Renard, but Blogger isn’t trying to shove a stupid new, and unnecessary editor down our throats. It’s a trade off I might be willing to make to not have to jump through hoops just to write a simple, mostly text post.

6. Taswegian1957 October 16, 2020 / 8:20 pm

I find that following people on Blogger is harder. I read some occasionally because they do seem to have a few doll bloggers but i don’t feel as connected. I like the WordPress Reader because I quickly have access to all the blogs I follow. In Blogger I subscribe to a few by email but it doesn’t suit me as my inbox gets cluttered up with emails that I usually end up deleting unread. I find the WP comment feature much better too.

7. Christine Goodnough October 16, 2020 / 8:21 pm

I haven’t been on Blogger/Blogspot for years. It’s true there’s no LIKE button and I found it hard to leave comments from my WP blog to a post on Blogger. But my beef was: there was no Reader. I had no way to find other bloggers nor could they find me. Maybe that’s all changed now with Google Plus, but I’d rather stick with WordPress, even if it’s harder in some ways.

I find that little control bar gets in the way at times, and inserting inline images is fiddly and iffy. Also, it’s tedious to justify every paragraph individually. Still, it’s not taking me an extra ten minutes or anything. And I really DO like the range for font colors.

8. Maggie October 16, 2020 / 10:55 pm

I have two blogger blogs. I never liked it due to lack of interaction. I did a little research into Medium. Readers complained because some of the content is monetized. Comments indicated you start getting everything free, then things start to cost money to read. For writers, it is a way to generate income. Honestly, it all makes me miss the LiveJournal days.

• Fandango October 16, 2020 / 11:12 pm

I have to admit that, the time I have spent with Blogger and Medium have made me appreciate WordPress. But that damn block editor!

• Maggie October 19, 2020 / 6:30 am

I know. I realize if I do not get on board with the editor, they will pull it one day and we will all go through this again. If it were only intuitive!

9. Ian Kay October 17, 2020 / 1:11 am

I was on Blogger for a long time and there was a thriving community; I don’t know what’s happened there since. There wasn’t a Like or Follow button culture, you had an option to add a widget for “Blogroll” where links to other blogs could be displayed on your blog. Imo, this is a more grown-up approach but I sense everything since has copied the FB approach.

Several months ago, I created a new Blogger account but found it less appealing. To begin with, there are so few themes to choose from and not much customisation available. My idea was to mirror my WP blog simply using Copy & Paste but in the event, I couldn’t be bothered to do it.

Nothing about any of it is perfect but as long as it’s free, I try to remain unbothered. If it’s a chore, I’ll simply lose interest. It won’t be painful.

• Fandango October 17, 2020 / 8:00 am

My very initial impression is that, other than the block editor, WP is a better platform than Blogger.

10. CARAMEL October 17, 2020 / 2:19 pm

Just stay! Please stay!
    You are still posting several times a day and you are still a pillar of this lovely community. I know it is giving you a major headache, but please stay! ❤

….unless the outcome of the American election is….

….no, no, I am not even going to say it. I know it isn't funny.

• Fandango October 17, 2020 / 7:37 pm

Thanks, Mel. I appreciate your very kind words. I’m still exploring my options and I still hate the block editor, but as long as there’s still a version of the classic editor that I can use, I won’t be leaving WordPress. So we shall see.

11. annieasksyou October 18, 2020 / 6:16 pm

When I posted my piece “Blocked “ complaining about the changes, a Blogger user responded that Blogger was also doing things that many people didn’t like. He subsequently wrote a post on his blog querying his readers about their problems and seeking advice. I don’t remember the details.

He does have a comment section, which I’ve used, but I haven’t seen a like button.

12. annieasksyou October 18, 2020 / 6:16 pm