Fandango’s Provocative Question #91

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This week’s provocative question is about honesty.How many times have you heard the expression “honesty is the best policy”? We are taught from a very young age to not lie. We are reminded that the key to trust is honesty. And yet, most people lie, whether it’s a “little white lie,” a lie to avoid hurting another person’s feelings, or a lie to avoid getting into trouble.

But if honesty is, indeed, the best policy and is critical to trust, why is it, then, that people lie? Is lying a “normal” part of the human condition?

To that end, this week’s provocative question is this:

Is it even possible to live a normal life and to not ever tell a lie?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

27 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #91

• Fandango October 14, 2020 / 9:02 am

So are you saying that you’ve never lied or are you saying that you live an abnormal life?

• Richmond Road October 14, 2020 / 12:45 pm

Let me put it another way.
        If you were to ask a pathological liar if it was possible to live without lying, what sort of answer would you expect?

• Fandango October 14, 2020 / 1:06 pm

I’d expect the pathological liar to lie in whatever way benefits him or her the most.

1. PCGuyIV October 14, 2020 / 6:35 am

I would say yes. The issue is that frequently, being honest means stating things that others might not want to hear, and the truth is perceived as “tactless” or “rude”. Despite these perceptions, it is possible to be honest without being tactless or rude.

2. ruddjr October 14, 2020 / 9:48 am

Yes, but in my experience those people are really just lying to themselves. They are the people that see the world through rose coloured glasses.

3. pensitivity101 October 14, 2020 / 10:29 am

Sometimes a little white lie can’t hurt, or we can bend the truth a little so as it’s not so painful. It depends on the circumstances and person concerned.
    We try to be honest, but when asked ‘Does my bum look big in this?’ how many people have lied?

4. cagedunn October 14, 2020 / 6:08 pm

The first thing children learn is how to hog attention. To do that, they use strategies. Lying is a great strategy, cos who doesn’t believe a baby/toddler?

The answer to the question is a resounding ‘NO’ because actions speak louder than words, and they can lie, as can the omission of information be called misinformation, therefore, lying.

• Fandango October 14, 2020 / 9:51 pm

I agree with you. We are all guilty of lying. Some way more than others.

5. rugby843 October 15, 2020 / 11:28 am

I wrote a response to Candid but feelings a while back, same feelings. Of course I can’t find it.