#100WW — Rush Hour

George stood in the middle of the road, but there were no cars anywhere. It was the evening rush hour, or at least what had traditionally been rush hour before the pandemic.

The president had embraced something called “herd immunity,” which occurs when a large part of the population becomes immune to a specific disease, either through vaccination or previous infections. But he hadn’t anticipated that the virus would mutate, making reinfection not only possible, but likely. Nor did he understand how long it would take to develop a safe and effective vaccine.

Now almost no one was left.

(99 words)

Written for Bikurgurl’s 100 Word Wednesday prompt. Photo credit: Bikurgurl.

14 thoughts on “#100WW — Rush Hour

1. Bikurgurl October 14, 2020 / 5:48 pm

Scary, but true. Who knew we’d be where we are now? Dystopian.

Thank you for joining us again this week 🖤

• Bikurgurl October 14, 2020 / 8:29 pm

🥰 I’m so glad you think so! It’s trying times we live in indeed. Thank you for always giving me more to consider 🖤

• Fandango October 14, 2020 / 8:34 pm

By the way, I wanted to let you know that with your new theme and that blue geometric design, when I visit your blog, it takes a very long time to load on my iPhone. I mean a VERY long time. I can now only read your posts in my reader.

• Stine Writing October 15, 2020 / 9:24 am

Oh no~ let me ditch the background and let me know if it helps. That is totally not necessary. I just liked the new layout.

• Stine Writing October 15, 2020 / 9:26 am

and thank you by the way for mentioning it. If it happens to you then that is the same for other people who may not “know me” enough to say something.

2. Marleen October 14, 2020 / 11:25 pm

Exactly: through vaccination or previous infection(s)… or death (so those who are [or will be] left, however few or however decreases a population that may be, are the only ones who can/could develop immunity and/or survive a vaccine or any number of vaccines).