Share Your World — Metaphysically Speaking

Share Your WorldMelanie is back with her Share Your World prompt and she’s posed some very provocative questions. So let’s get right to it.

Are we “here” or do we just think we are? (A metaphysical question today folks.) Can you prove your point of view?

About three years ago I wrote a post about a philosophy called “solipsism.” Basically, solipsism is the belief that the person holding the belief is the only real thing in the universe. All other persons and things are merely ornaments or impediments to his or her happiness.

I’m not a solipsist per se. I don’t deny the existence of anything else in the universe outside of myself, or claim it to be non-existent or not real except in my own mind. I know that each and every one of you who may be reading my response to this question is real. You exist. You have your own mind, your own life, and your own very real experiences.

That said, if I don’t exist, neither do you. If I don’t exist, nothing exists. To put it another way, when I cease to exist (i.e., die), nothing would exist — for me. So everything that exists for me is dependent upon my continued existence.

As to my answer to this very intriguing question, I am “here,” and as long as I’m alive (and mentally competent), so are all of you “here.” But purely from my perspective, when I die and cease to exist, I won’t be “here” any more and, for me, neither will any of you.

From an identity stand-point, which would be the worst for you personally to lose? Your face, your body, or your voice? Which do YOU identify with most strongly for your own sense of self?

Jeez, Melanie, what’s gotten into you today? Are you auditioning to take over my Fandango’s Provocative Question prompt? Okay, well, of course I identify with my face, my body, and my voice. However, if I lost my sight, my hearing, my voice, or developed an inability to use my body (e.g., became quadriplegic), as long as I haven’t lost my mind (i.e., still have a functioning brain and the ability to think), I would still have a sense of self, although without those other senses, I might not have a very positive sense of self. But were I to suffer from Alzheimer’s Disease or severe dementia, and be unable to recognize those around me and probably not even recognize who I am or once was anymore, I think that is what would cause me to no longer have a sense of self.

Do you have a ‘song’? If you’re part of a couple, you could use “your couple’s song” OR a song that’s just always resonated with you.

I’ve had various special songs throughout my life, but they’ve changed over time and the course of my life. At this point in my life, as a septuagenarian, the song that most resonates with me is this one.

Are ghosts real or has someone been smoking something and just imagines them?

I don’t believe in an afterlife, or life of any kind, after death. I believe that when you die, you’re dead and gone, fini, kaput, done for, no longer exist, either physically or spiritually — except maybe, if you’re lucky, in the fond memories of others. So, with that as my core belief, there can be no such things as ghosts. Like God and the devil, ghosts are figments of our imaginations.

Please feel free to share a moment of gratitude you experienced over the past week.

I am grateful every day that I’m still here, that I’m still of sound mind, and that I have this wonderful blogging community to share my world with.

14 thoughts on “Share Your World — Metaphysically Speaking

• Mister Bump UK October 12, 2020 / 12:25 pm

Unrelated question. One of the News shows over here said Biden could increase the size of the Supreme Court, so as to provide a Dem-leaning majority. And that he could do so just on a majority (senate?) vote. How possible is that?

• Marleen October 12, 2020 / 12:46 pm

I actually think it’s possible. To make it palatable, there could also be some restructuring (also to be voted on). Other major courts in the U.S. before reaching the Supreme Court have more judges than actually sit for any particular case. The SCOTUS could undertake that methodology after the legislative aspects of our government vote to make it so. While the Supreme Court is a major institution, it like many other functions of our government weren’t spelled out as to the particulars in our Constitution.

• Fandango October 12, 2020 / 12:50 pm

It’s Congress, not the U.S. Constitution, that decides the size of the Supreme Court. Over the years it has ranged from 6 to 10, and now, technically, it’s 9, although through most of 2016 and early into 2017, there were only 8 justices after the sudden death of Anton Scalia, as there are now since the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg last month. So in theory, if Biden wins the elections and the Democrats maintain the majority in the House of Representatives AND take majority control of the Senate, it’s possible for the size of the court to be expanded. But I think it’s unlikely, even though the two-faced Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, and the Senate Republicans robbed Obama of SC nomination in 2016 because it was an election year and yet are trying to get Trump’s latest nominee (to replace RBG) confirmed in an election year before the election in three weeks. The political composition of the Supreme Court is consequential because the justices sitting on the court have lifetime appointments.

• Mister Bump UK October 12, 2020 / 1:25 pm

Yup, beware of jobs for life. We have the same problem with our monarchy. It’s no coincidence that new democractes elect for a specific term. Oh, and thank you, Marleen. I read both comments at once.

• Marleen October 12, 2020 / 2:55 pm

Your question was too interesting for me to pass up.😁

1. Dave Kingsbury October 12, 2020 / 1:13 pm

I like the question and answer approach. Some lively responses and I’m with you on the afterlife thing. I’d hate to think this isn’t the real thing!

2. Sadje October 12, 2020 / 7:10 pm

You’ve handled these questions very well. I really got that theory about everyone and everything existing because we do! I must read up on it.

3. Melanie B Cee October 13, 2020 / 9:43 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World. No audition for taking over your Provocative Question, I’m not worthy (so not worthy)…and you have a sensible bend of mind that I lack (IMO). I’ve noticed that SYW tends to fall into a pattern of some sort each week..and this week it was provocative questions I suppose. I like your personal song…it’s very fitting! Have a great week!

4. leigha66 October 21, 2020 / 1:33 am

Interesting questions. I know given a choice I would miss my voice the least. I have had laryngitis and it may have been a bit more difficult to get my thoughts out, but it could be done. As for the songs I have SO MANY… One Love One You was my first dance with my former husband. Bad To The Bone is my ambulance song, Radar Love is for a power outage… I could go on all night!