Fandango’s Flash Fiction Challenge #87

Welcome to “Fandango’s Flash Fiction Challenge.” Each week I will be posting a photo I grab off the internet and challenge bloggers to write a flash fiction piece or a poem inspired by the photo. There are no style or word limits.

The image below is from Janek-Sedlar at DeviantArt.For the visually challenged writer, the image is of two bare, misshapen trees deep inside a forest.

If this week’s image inspires you and you wish to participate, please write your post, use the tag #FFFC, and link back to this post. I hope it will generate some great posts.

Thanks to all of you who have participated in these challenges. Your posts have been very creative. Please take a few minutes to read the other responses to this photo challenge.

Please create a pingback to this post or manually add your link in the comments.

21 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flash Fiction Challenge #87

• Fandango October 12, 2020 / 10:09 am

I can image how you would respond to a Rorschach test. 😏

• cagedunn October 12, 2020 / 12:40 pm

I’m not sure you can imagine it. I’m not sure I could.

1. Mister Bump UK October 12, 2020 / 3:24 am

That is a guy with three arms and a hole in the middle! I can imagine some Blair Witch fiction coming out of this one.

• Fandango October 12, 2020 / 2:35 pm

It’s funny. When I first selected that image, I thought it looked eerie or spooky. But a lot of people who have responded to the prompt have viewed it as something sexual or sensual.

• CARAMEL October 12, 2020 / 2:37 pm

Just the thought of becoming entwined with another person emotionally. As roots merge together and draw up the same nourishment, each tree grow around each other, providing shelter, comfort and companionship.
        That’s what I saw anyway.

2. Marleen October 15, 2020 / 10:44 am

Poetry(?) of another kind:

They had resisted.

A turning in Plan.

Garden… transformed.

No more ever-regenerating
    foliage with a floor ever-green.

When Adam became aware of his
    companion not-noticed, he wanted not
    to let go… not to separate and walk beside.

Now that he knew she was there, the connection…
    was good. But he had to learn to see ahead… to intuit.

They would be individual entities needing to mindfully work,
    enmesh their molecules and souls and express their thoughts.

Let go and be two, she and you. Time. An earth is to to be restored,
    estrangement never more. We yet are to value the subtler of attributes.

{ This a a re-sensing of the creation story. The “rib” can be a side or two parts.
    It’s also an acknowledgement that when either of a pair or puzzle malfunction… }