Who Won the Week — 10/11/20

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

Raise your hand if you watched the debate this week between current Vice President Mike Pence and Vice President hopeful Kamala Harris. I did. It was a lot less fractious and raucous than the first (and maybe only) debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Still, Pence often exceeded his allotted time, talking over his opponent and ignoring the moderator’s pleas for him to stop.

So which candidate won the debate? Well, overall I think Kamala won. She was able to effectively layout the Trump administration’s failures, especially on the coronavirus pandemic, while Pence was stuck defending the largely indefensible.

But the real winner was the fly that landed on Pence’s head and stayed there for two minutes.Pence ignored the fly, which could probably serve as an apt metaphor for Pence and the Trump administration. Everyone watching at home saw the fly. We all knew it was there and even Pence couldn’t have ignored it out of existence. But ignore it he did.

So this week’s winner of Who Won the Week is the fly that landed on Mike Pence’s head, reminding us of the many truths that the Trump administration has asked the American people to ignore.

What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

27 thoughts on “Who Won the Week — 10/11/20

1. Marleen October 11, 2020 / 12:03 pm

I agree with S.E. Cupp (thought of it at the time myself), Pence was hugging “Trump through the TV” by often ignoring two women as if they weren’t important participants.

2. Marleen October 11, 2020 / 12:15 pm

Hey, Mr. Bump, I’ve never been to a U2 concert, but a friend once shared a different live U2 version of this song with me (because I liked another group’s version):

Maggie’s Farm

3. rugby843 October 11, 2020 / 12:17 pm

I just knew you were picking the fly😂 Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

4. lssattitudeofgratitude October 11, 2020 / 12:24 pm

I tried to send you the pic of the fly with a Biden Harris sign but I cannot paste it here. It is wonderful and funny.

5. Marleen October 11, 2020 / 12:45 pm

I like this win from the week.

Nearly 41 years after Ku Klux Klansmen and American Nazis shot dead five antiracist activists in the town of Greensboro, North Carolina, the City Council there has passed a resolution apologizing for the attack and the police department’s complicity in the killings. We speak with two survivors of the 1979 attack, Reverend Nelson Johnson and Joyce Hobson Johnson, who say the city’s apology acknowledges “the police knew and chose to do nothing. In fact, they facilitated what we name now as a North American death squad.”

• Fandango October 11, 2020 / 10:28 pm

Better late than never, I guess.

6. amoralegria October 11, 2020 / 4:57 pm

On the other hand, what does it say about the state of our society when the winner of the week is a fly??!

7. seasiders22 October 11, 2020 / 11:33 pm

Don’t ignore the chance to vote. Not for the fly – but for you. Do you think “they” care? Vote for those who show they plan to care for you.