The Evolution of Male Pattern Baldness

I was born with a full head of dark, curly hair.

In my first decade, my hair grew fast and my mother used to cut my hair with a bowl on my head.

In my second decade, my favored haircuts were crewcuts and flattops.

In my third decade, I was a hippie, grew my hair long, and let my freak flag fly.

In my fourth decade, my thick, wavy hair started to thin out and my forehead got larger.

In my fifth decade, my hair started to turn gray.

In my sixth decade, my combover was suspect.

In my seventh decade, I gave up and started shaving my head.

Note: None of these photos, except the one below, is of the real Fandango.

29 thoughts on “The Evolution of Male Pattern Baldness

1. cagedunn October 9, 2020 / 4:00 pm

I’m waiting for my hair to go grey, but all it does is fall out … an all-over thinning, rather than a pattern … pah!

2. Lisa M. Boyd October 9, 2020 / 4:01 pm

Nice one! I was a little confused as none of them look alike. I wondered who is the real culprit?!? Lol

3. JT Twissel October 9, 2020 / 4:24 pm

I was born with no hair! I’ll probably die with no hair too. Ah well!

4. RuthScribbles October 9, 2020 / 4:58 pm

I luckily inherited male pattern baldness. I only notice when I use a mirror to look at the back of my head… guess what? I rarely do!!

5. Sadje October 9, 2020 / 6:53 pm

It’s a curse many men have to bear. But not they have the option of getting a transplant.

6. Marleen October 9, 2020 / 7:16 pm

The first time I looked through this post, I started at the bottom and almost absentmindedly scrolled up. Laughed with the last (top) picture. (I was born with a lot of dark hair; there’s a story told that my mom was asked if it tickled.) Then, I scrolled the other way and laughed when I got to the last picture. Are we to guess which of these are really you? Of course, the one of the baby can’t be, even though the eyes are the right color.

• Fandango October 9, 2020 / 10:14 pm

Why did you start at the bottom? 😏

• Marleen October 9, 2020 / 11:48 pm

It was happenstance. I had clicked to go to your site (on my iPad), and then I got a call [answered on my phone] and was distracted. I guess I bumped the screen.

7. Ian Kay October 10, 2020 / 12:53 am

Is that a thing to shave his head? I thought at first it was a kid’s toy tractor. 😬

There are many advantages: the money saved on products and never having to visit a barber for two.

• Fandango October 10, 2020 / 7:35 am

Yes, it is, indeed, a device designed for shaving one’s head, but I use an electric beard and hair trimmer for time. And yes, no hassle with barbers. But I do still shampoo my head.

8. Marleen October 10, 2020 / 9:16 am

I generally think balding doesn’t go well with long hair or an odd combover. But simply embracing what is [which I’m implying involves at least short hair (of what hair there is), if not shaving… which is good too… if necessary] works out fine.

9. CrunchityFrog October 10, 2020 / 10:17 am

My husband is going through the balding thing. He has thin (fine) hair and it won’t look good if he tries a comb over. He hasn’t been able to get to a barber because of COVID, so he’s looking a little shaggy right now. Neither he nor I care about his growing bald spot (so he says).

• Fandango October 10, 2020 / 9:58 pm

The best advice I can give is to accept it.

10. Melanie B Cee October 10, 2020 / 10:53 am

I KNEW those photos weren’t of you, because the eye color kept changing.. I don’t know what your actual eye color IS, but doubted that you had blue eyes as a baby, hazel eyes as a child, brown eyes as an adult hippie and then back to varying shades of blue… nah. It sounds as if you’ve done the sensible thing with the ‘bald’ look (if you truly shave your head now). It might be a bit high maintenance, but it beats the comb-over. NOBODY is fooled by that anyway. And there is something worse (IMHO) than male pattern baldness…it’s when a mature woman gets that horrid phenomenon visited on HER. I’d look really REALLY strange with a shaved head..but sometimes it’s tempting.

• Fandango October 10, 2020 / 10:01 pm

My eyes are blue. The image at the top of my blog is of my eyes. I do run an electric beard trimmer over my entire head once a week.

11. leigha66 October 18, 2020 / 10:42 pm

I see nothing wrong with a bald head. However when I had one during chemo, I did cover it to try to put others at ease. The combover fools no one. And as always your “real” photo … what a dapper Dan!