Truthful Tuesday — Business as Usual

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank wants to know…

Has this pandemic altered your holiday plans for later this year, or will it be “business as usual”? Please explain.

So let’s talk about upcoming U.S. holidays.

• October 12 – Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples’ Day
  • October 31 – Halloween
  • November 3 – Election Day
  • November 12 – Veterans Day
  • November 26 – Thanksgiving Day
  • December 10-18 – Chanukah
  • December 25 – Christmas Day

I’m going to immediate eliminate Columbus Day and Veterans Day because, even before the pandemic, we never really did anything special on either of those holidays. Election Day is not technically a holiday — although I think it should be — but we’ve voted by mail for the past decade anyway and that’s what we’re doing this year, so nothing is different.

That leaves Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Chanukah/Christmas. With respect to Halloween, I wrote about that in my response to last week’s Truthful Tuesday, so I won’t repeat that here.

Thanksgiving. We usually have our daughter, her live-in boyfriend, our son, and his wife over for Thanksgiving dinner. But not this year. We will all be at our respective homes. We’ll likely chat and play games via Zoom. Whoopie doo!

Chanukah. Although neither my wife nor I practice the religion, we have a Jewish heritage, so we would typically have a Chanukah party at our place, complete with brisket, potato latkes, noodle kugel, and a menorah. Not this year. We’ll probably be chatting and playing games via Zoom. Whoopie Doo!

Christmas. Because we’re not at all religious, our typical Christmas Eve has been spent with family at a Chinese or Japanese restaurant. On Christmas Day, we would exchange gifts before going to a dim sum buffet for brunch and a movie. But this year we’ll probably chat and play games via Zoom. Whoopie doo!

I hope that if Frank asks this question next year at this time, my answers will be very different.

18 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Business as Usual

1. Marleen October 6, 2020 / 3:04 pm

My garage floor has done some strange sinking, while the driveway cracked where there should have been separations in pieces from the start. While getting bids, it was discovered that the rebar in the garage was not only spaced too far apart but not, in fact, within the concrete itself. Therefore… concrete work has just been done, and a bit of landscape amelioration will occur soon. Meanwhile, the garage walls are going to be painted, and it is likely visitation shall continue with me inside the garage and whoever is visiting sitting outside. I’m not sure, yet, if we will aim for particular days. Hey! I like the idea, though, of maybe getting together sometime a week or so after Election Day if we can celebrate! Or maybe that will be the theme for Thanksgiving.

2. lssattitudeofgratitude October 6, 2020 / 3:59 pm

Being a cultural Jew, I celebrate Chanukah more for the grands than anything. I do light the Menorahs. (I collect them.) We used to go out for Chinese food on Christmas also. Whoopie do for this year. We all hope next year is very different for the better.

3. Sadje October 6, 2020 / 6:55 pm

I hope next year things will be way way better. For now enjoy the zoom meetings and games.

4. CARAMEL October 7, 2020 / 5:37 am

I was about to say, isn’t it overconfident to make plans beyond what you are going to have for lunch….but then I saw your plans. I think you are on the money. Zoom chat and games is probably the safest plan you can make.

• Fandango October 7, 2020 / 6:43 am

These days, yes. But I do miss being able to spend face-to-face time with my family and close friends.

5. Melanie B Cee October 7, 2020 / 8:28 am

I suspect your “whoop de doo” celebrations are the way things are going to be for a good while yet. It is something to look forward to (if not as gratifying as face to face) and you won’t get sick. So sorta a win/win I think. But the Chinese food? I’d seriously miss THAT LOL … I do already! Heh!

6. leigha66 October 15, 2020 / 12:43 am

Yeah, the holidays are going to be very different. My boyfriends family usually hosts Thanksgiving but just this week we found out his brother-in-law has cancer and it has spread. I think he is going to be doing a LOT of social distancing instead of celebrating. On my side it is just my sister and her boyfriend, and then my daughter and her fiancé. So I am thinking it will be very quiet. As for Christmas… I really hope things are going to be rolling with the vaccine by December. And we are still deciding if we will turn on or off the porch light for Halloween… the town is still having it this year.