SoCS — Old and New

For today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday, Linda G. Hill wants us to explore “new/old” and to use either or both of the words — “new” and “old” — any way we’d like.

Typically, one might think of new and old to be opposites, where “new” has a positive connotation and “old” has a negative one. For example, there’s that cool new telephone you bought to replace your crummy old one, that new car that you got after trading in your old car, that new house you moved into after you sold your old house, or that hot new chick you’re seeing after you divorced your old lady.

But “new” and “old” are not always synonymous with the good or bad connotations often ascribed to them. I’m an old man, but after I retired I had to try to reinvent myself and to become a new man, which was a necessary and good thing to do. Now if only I could figure out how to reinvent myself from an being an old man to being a young man.

And there’s the “out with the old, in with the new” philosophy that seems to be embraced by so many these days. New and improved is not necessarily better than old and reliable. And yes, that’s a none-too-subtle jab at WordPress for having shitcanned the good old classic editor and replacing it with that awful new block editor, forcing some of us to decide if we even want to continue to blog on WordPress.

And with all that said, it’s time to greet the new day and to hope, with all the crap that is swirling around us, that it will be no worse than the old day was.

Have a nice Saturday, folks.

18 thoughts on “SoCS — Old and New

1. Victoria Stuart October 3, 2020 / 6:32 am

Thanks for all your inspiration, Fandango. You inspire me more than I can say, since WordPress or my firewall or some unknown factor keeps blocking my comments on your work. (Crossing my fingers that I just discovered a workaround…pressing ‘post comment.’)

• Fandango October 3, 2020 / 3:19 pm

Thank you, Victoria. That’s very kind of you to say and I greatly appreciate it.

2. bikerchick57 October 3, 2020 / 10:09 am

I was finally forced to use the block editor with my latest post. I don’t like it, but thankfully I figured it out well enough to publish a post. I think of the new bloggers, who might be completely frustrated with WP and go elsewhere.

3. Cyranny October 3, 2020 / 10:29 am

Ha! I wanted to mention the old and new editors, but of course, you thought about it. 😉 Happy Saturday to you too 🙂

4. bushboy October 3, 2020 / 3:19 pm

I was in a an antique shop last weekend and the mother of a young boy, around 10, asked him to dial her phone number. He put his finger on the first number and pushed his finger down, Asked to try a different way he turned the dial holding the outside. His mind was blown when his Mum showed him how to do it 😀 😀

• Marleen October 3, 2020 / 4:45 pm

I like that story. a lot, Bushboy. It’s nice to remember raising little boys. And, really, I have a “thing” for old style telephones, and the technology they worked with — copper wires in the walls that still worked if “the electricity“ went out. Now we need a generator.

And, Fandango: I definitely agree, on a large scale, that new and “improved” is not necessarily better than old and reliable. I am pained by the “out with the old, in with the new” philosophy that seems to be embraced by so many these days (as you put it).

• Fandango October 3, 2020 / 10:36 pm

Just tell anyone born within the last 30 years about how you used to have to get up and walk over to a TV to turn it on or off or to change channels. They won’t believe you.

5. Laura October 4, 2020 / 8:37 am

Agreed on the block editor. I’ve jumped through hoops to get back to working in classic but I’m terrified even that workaround will disappear one day. Yikes.

• Fandango October 4, 2020 / 10:09 pm

I think you’re right. It will probably disappear one day and when it does, I will disappear from WordPress.

6. leigha66 October 10, 2020 / 3:54 pm

Your post reminded me of those numbers I hated to dial that had nines and zeros in them… it took FOREVER, or so it seemed. Now it is one button or even just a voice command with no buttons.