Fandango’s Friday Flashback — October 2

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 2nd) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on my old blog on October 2, 2013.

What time is it?

ClocksIn addition to my watch, there are ten timekeeping devices (aka, clocks) in my house. TEN! And except for one, they’re all digital time displays. Where are these timekeeping devices?

1. Bedroom alarm
  2. Coffee maker
  3. Oven
  4. Microwave
  5. Cable box
  6. iPhone
  7. iPad
  8. Laptop
  9. Printer
  10. Desk clock (analog face)

I’m not obsessed with knowing precisely what time it is. However, I do participate in a lot of conference calls and online meetings for my job, and I like being prompt for those calls/meetings, since others could be affected by my tardiness.

So this morning, when I looked at the clock that sits on my desk and saw that it was three minutes past the hour, I thought to myself, “Shit, I’m late for the call.” Then I looked at my watch, which told me it was just on the hour. I picked up my iPhone, which read one-minute past the hour, as did my iPad and laptop.

Now I’m not saying that I’m easily distracted, but instead of placing the call that I may or may not have already been late for, I decided that I needed to check out all of the other clocks in my place. I ran to the bedroom and checked my alarm clock. I went to the kitchen and looked at the times displayed on the coffee maker, the oven, and the microwave. I checked the time on my cable box and on my printer.

In my kitchen alone, the coffee maker, oven, and microwave displayed three different times, each different from the others by a minute. Three different times displayed on three clocks within 10 feet of one another, for crissake!

The time displayed on my cable box showed one minute later than any of the three clocks in the kitchen. In all, the variation among all of the 11 timepieces — the ten clocks and my watch — was four minutes from slowest to fastest. Fascinating, right?

By the time I finished this truly pointless and somewhat irrational exercise, I was ten minutes late for my call…or maybe only six minutes late. I can’t be certain. But even after I got on the call and apologized to the others for my tardiness, I couldn’t really concentrate on whatever it was that the call concerned.

The only thing that was going through my mind, to the exclusion of everything else, was that old song by the band Chicago: “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”

And then it struck me. Does anybody really care?

Photo credit: Jon Tyson at unsplash.

26 thoughts on “Fandango’s Friday Flashback — October 2

1. Mister Bump UK October 2, 2020 / 4:19 am

That’s the trouble. With one clock, you always know what time it is. With two clocks, you never know!

2. bushboy October 2, 2020 / 5:11 am

Love the song 🙂 I have a clock on the wall in the kitchen and lounge room.

3. pensitivity101 October 2, 2020 / 5:40 am

3 beside clocks, kitchen clock, central heating timer, watch, 2 mobile phones, laptops when on.
    Makes you think!!

4. Irene October 2, 2020 / 5:55 am

I hear you. I trust my laptop because it is synchronized to standards through the internet, but then, I am not sure, because you would think my phone would be as accurate, but for some strange reason it is about 4 minutes faster. I don’t understand how that is possible.

5. Don October 2, 2020 / 7:58 am

Here’s a blog post from ten years and one day ago.

It makes me tear up a little. The background is that I was moving out of the house that held the marriage I had been in for twenty-two years. Now, a decade later, I can see SO many mistakes I would go back and not make if I could. But mistakes are how we learn, so.

• Fandango October 2, 2020 / 10:28 am

Good post. I tried to comment but I don’t think it went through. Blogger is such a pain. Anyway, it’s hard to believe that the Killer turned 85 a few days ago.

6. ruddjr October 2, 2020 / 9:47 am

We have a lot of power surges in my apartment building so I have to change the clocks when it happens. Boy am I thankful that the cable box and computer are both automatic. I only have 3 clocks that I have to change…oven, microwave and phone. I’ve also become one of those people who uses their cellphone to check the time.

• Mister Bump UK October 8, 2020 / 2:51 am

We had a problem like that a while back, there are now two clocks in the house and both run on batteries. They sync themselves to our central time signal.

7. annieasksyou October 2, 2020 / 11:06 am

Your post reminded me of one of my recent WP snafus: when I put up a new post, it didn’t appear in WP Reader. The HEs weren’t sure why, but I noticed that my laptop time and WP’s time were minutes off. The problem hasn’t happened since I publish from the post’s title, rather than the post in editor—bypassing WP’s time.

Here’s Part 2 of my look at our gun problem. This one has better news—if only we would make the sustained commitment to fund programs that work.

8. Stine Writing October 2, 2020 / 11:50 am

You’re making me laugh today! David sets all the clocks ten minutes fast. Once I went through and changed them all thinking it must have been a power outage or something. They all went back to ten minutes fast. The other day I was meeting a friend for dinner and was running out of the house so I wouldn’t be late. Yup, you guessed it! I was early!

• Fandango October 2, 2020 / 12:44 pm

My wife likes to set her watch five minutes ahead so that she won’t be late for anything. But if she knows it’s set five minutes ahead, I’m not sure how that helps. People are weird.

• Stine Writing October 2, 2020 / 9:08 pm

I used to do that with my alarm clock and think that maybe some day I will forget that it is set fast and it will really help me. What kind of sense is that?

9. leigha66 October 8, 2020 / 10:19 pm

Nice flashback! Out clocks vary in the house too. Only I think our time span is 6 minutes difference. …but like you and Chicago said, does anybody really care?