WordPress is FOWCing with Fandango…Again

As most of you know

1. I blog using my iPhone
  2. I hate the block editor because it sucks on an iPhone

And, as most of you also know, I host a number of prompts, including my daily FOWC with Fandango prompt. What I do with this (and my other prompts), is

1. log on to https://fivedotoh.com/wp-admin
  2. use the classic editor version on the wp-admin site
  3. copy the latest published or recently scheduled post for the new prompt post
  4. that opens up the post to be copied in classic editor
  5. make the necessary changes for the new prompt post in the classic editor
  6. save and schedule the updated post for the appropriate day and time in the classic editor

But as of today, when I go to the wp-admin site on my iPhone and try to copy an existing post that was published using the classic editor, it opens up the copied post in the goddam fucking block editor. At least it does on my iPhone — I haven’t tried it yet on my laptop.

And as of today, even if I’m logged on to wp-admin, when I go to add a new post, it opens up the block editor with no option to use the classic editor.

I’m going to reach out to the WordPress happiness engineers, but I’m pretty sure I know what they’ll tell me: “Too bad, so sad.”

But I’m telling you folks, this may be the proverbial straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back. If this is the way it’s going to be from now on, I may stop posting my prompts. Hell, I may stop posting altogether.

40 thoughts on “WordPress is FOWCing with Fandango…Again

1. Kelley Farrell October 1, 2020 / 6:43 pm

I am not a fan of the block editor. I can get along with it on my laptop but on my phone, nope.

2. Dorinda Duclos October 1, 2020 / 6:48 pm

It’s not just the iPhone. It also does it from my PC, so I no longer copy a post. Yep, I have to do it all from scratch. I hate the block editor with a passion. Thanks a lot, WP. You suck.

3. rugby843 October 1, 2020 / 6:52 pm

My iPad still gives the option but sometimes changes to the block without my knowing.  Then on my android phone it’s completely bloody, switching at will.  But my phone has been acting up since it upgraded, without my permission.😳

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

4. Sadje October 1, 2020 / 6:59 pm

Oh no, don’t do that. Don’t you have the option of turning off the block editor in the app settings?

• Fandango October 1, 2020 / 10:49 pm

In the iPhone app, yes. But the app doesn’t have a copy a post function like the website does. Only now it opens the block editor instead of the classic editor even in wp-admin.

• Sadje October 1, 2020 / 10:59 pm

It doesn’t make any sense. Why would anyone use this editor. I can’t find pictures anywhere

5. RuthScribbles October 1, 2020 / 7:24 pm

I think they were changing things today. I read Colleens blog that says they will have classic back. Do you want a link?

6. blindzanygirl October 1, 2020 / 7:27 pm

Mine is going funny as well Fandango. No choice. It sucks

7. oneletterup October 1, 2020 / 7:32 pm

I’ve never tried it on my iphone. But if I choose the “classic block” while using the block editor I have access to the old format – at least for text. It allows me to indent for one thing, but it might be worth a try for other features. I copy old posts under edit mode and it seems to work. It is all a royal pain though.

8. Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2020 / 8:11 pm

I am feeling that maybe this is my time to give it up. I’ll wait until my subscription runs out in February, but the choices for blogging are limited and many are expensive. Medium actually pays YOU — but call me crazy, but I wrote for a living my entire life. I really don’t want to work at writing anymore. I just don’t. Maybe I’ll change my mind.

It isn’t a lot easier on my laptop because you have to be very careful how you open a post and where you edit it. The fun is just gone. I’ll hang in through the election and maybe I’ll decide to try “Medium.” Or not. I’ll see.

9. Jen Goldie October 1, 2020 / 8:20 pm

I use a lap top and have used the block editor for awhile now. If I copy an old post using the classic editor I switch it to the block editor. It makes it easier for me. After using it awhile it knows my needs by giving me the options I normally use. Like images, headings, text etc.
    I hate to lose you and your prompts Fan. But if you do leave WP and I know where you are I’ll follow.

• Fandango October 1, 2020 / 8:29 pm

If i used a laptop instead of an iPhone, I might embrace the block editor, too. But I’m not going to switch devices just in order to continue blogging. It’s not worth it.

• Jen Goldie October 1, 2020 / 9:02 pm

So there’s no way you can use your phone then. Like I said if you leave I’ll try to follow so I can do your prompts. But I’m so used to WP and it offers notifications and the reader I can’t see myself giving it up. We have an established family of friends here I couldn’t give that up for sure!

• Fandango October 1, 2020 / 10:55 pm

I may stay on WordPress but give up the various prompts I host.

• Jen Goldie October 1, 2020 / 11:13 pm

OIC your prompts are the pain in the A.
            You’d still respond to other prompts though and use your laptop for those.
            It would be a loss but if that’s the only way you’ll stay cool.

• Fandango October 1, 2020 / 11:33 pm

I can still use my iPhone to respond to other bloggers’ prompts because there is a version of the classic editor (I call it “classic lite”) on the WordPress iOS app. It’s missing some of the functionality of the old classic editor, but it’s better than trying to use the block editor on an iPhone.

10. annieasksyou October 1, 2020 / 8:39 pm

We cannot let this happen! Go to thoughtsnlife blog, where Bella has put together how-to videos. They’re very clear. Ask her if she’s done one for the phone. If she hasn’t, she may—but she’s very helpful and eager to help.

11. Astrid October 2, 2020 / 2:15 am

Oh, I’d hate to see you leave WP. I hate the block editor too, but I can still use the classic editor. Then again, I don’t usually copy posts.

12. PCGuyIV October 2, 2020 / 4:02 am

Unfortunately, to use the classic editor now, you have to go to the wp-admin page, and click on “All Posts”. A dropdown should appear on the right side of the “Add New” button at the top that will let you select the classic editor. Unfortunately, the “Add New” link and button themselves default to the block editor.

Also, if you want to edit an old post, they’ve added a link to the options that says “classic editor”. The first “edit” link takes you to the block editor.

I fear that the next step is going to be them removing the classic editor altogether, with no way to get it back unless you switch to self-hosted with WordPress.org or pay for one of the packages that allows the installation of custom plug-ins so that you can install the “Classic Editor” plug-in.

• Fandango October 2, 2020 / 5:17 am

Yes, I can add a new post that way and I can edit and existing post that way, but I can’t copy an existing post that way. The copy opens it up the post you want to copy in the block editor. I suppose I can “edit” an existing post using the classic editor option by selecting all text and copying it, then adding a new post using the classic editor option and pasting it. It’s just another several steps required to make something that once was so simple so much harder.

13. newepicauthor October 2, 2020 / 6:17 am

Like I said before, if you go, then I go, so tell me where you are going to land.

• Fandango October 2, 2020 / 7:15 am

I don’t yet know what I’m going to do, but I think each blogger on WordPress will have to decide, on his or her own, what they will do going forward. Some may embrace the block editor, either enthusiastically or reluctantly. But I really do appreciate your support, Jim.