Fandango’s Provocative Question #89

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This week’s provocative question is about karma.KarmaKarma refers to both the actions and the consequences of the actions.

Some religions (e.g., Hinduism and Buddhism) define karma as the sum of a person’s actions in this (and previous) states of existence, and that such actions will be a key factor in deciding their fate in their current and future existences.

In Christianity, karma is more of a “what goes around comes around” concept. The Bible says, “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” This is more of a “you get what you give” concept. Or as the Beatles sang, “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

So my provocative question is this…

Do you believe in karma (or a similar “reap what you sow” notion)? Why or why not?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

29 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #89

1. Marleen September 30, 2020 / 6:55 am

I don’t usually share anything from twitter, as I don’t really use twitter, but I ran across this, today, and have it as part of my answer. I don’t know what will show up when I post.

• Marleen September 30, 2020 / 7:45 am

So, the question people are asking: What even IS a Christian?

I do not consider myself a Christian. I do, though, see
      that some people who don’t know the history may
      think of themselves as Christian and look for
      Y’shua (Jesus) as their guide in all truth.

I’m, additionally, not a follower of the writer at the link I will now share
      but consider what he wrote here satisfactory as an introduction to what
      is being Spiritually impressed within my conscience as courage for today.
      I disagree with the author that it’s simply, if at all, about suing other people.
      It should be obvious that it is also or primarily about endangering a “brother.”
      The wrangling between Jesus and his judgers, under Roman rule, ended up
      with the imposition upon him of a violent death. They were unwilling to reason.

• Marleen October 1, 2020 / 9:34 am

There are words from Greek at the bottom of this page. Besides the fact that if we study history we will see that Jesus wasn’t part of “the church” we can look at language.

church?
        {The site creators put the question mark there. Beyond agreeing the punctuation or question is warranted, I say the word really doesn’t fit but is habit rather than truth.}

ἐκκλησίᾳ (ekklēsia)

Noun – Dative Feminine Singular Strong’s Greek 1577: From a compound of ek and a derivative of kaleo; a calling out, i.e. a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation.

2. rugby843 September 30, 2020 / 8:03 am

I like the what goes around comes around theory

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

3. Teresa Grabs September 30, 2020 / 5:59 pm

Yep. But sometimes it doesn’t always come back in the way you would have expected it.

• Itarow September 30, 2020 / 8:32 pm

Karma tries to surprise you to the point of shock. That’s the beauty of karma.

4. Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2020 / 5:46 pm

I forgot to link my blog with YOUR blog today, so I’m running it again tomorrow. Why now? I actually had to think about this one! Interesting question.

• Fandango October 1, 2020 / 10:46 pm

I’m glad you liked the question.

5. Marleen October 3, 2020 / 2:43 pm

This kind of thing isn’t quite what I had in mind when I commented under this topic earlier, yet… I told my sons, years ago (over a decade) not to participate in jobs that take away what people need. I know that there can be reasons, but the likelihood of taking part in something unjust (on top of detrimental), at least at some point, is too high. (Additionally, I happened to know someone who did have it as a job early on in life who later couldn’t figure out how to manage his own affairs, even though he had majored in a money-related field… and he ended up going bankrupt and so forth.) I don’t believe payback always, or even hardly ever (if I’ve worded that right), happens during this lifetime, but just the thought of participating in evil or harm is distressing as well as very tear-invoking for me. I’ve never been evicted, or even lost a car, but I find this tragic.

New “Uber For Evictions” Startup Previews Our HELLISH Future