Truthful Tuesday — Trick or Treat

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank wants to know…

What are your thoughts on trick-or-treating this year? Should Halloween be “canceled,” or should it be allowed to go on as normal?

For the past dozen years my wife and I lived in an urban section of the city. Every year I would buy a couple of bags of Halloween candy and every year we would get zero trick or treaters. Which meant that every year over the past dozen years, I’d have candy miniatures to snack on through the whole month of November.

In February we moved to a suburban neighborhood and there are lots of kids around here. In a normal year, I would expect a boatload of trick or treaters to ring our bell, and I would have plenty of candy to pass out. But this is not a normal year and I have no idea what to expect.

I do know that were we parents of young children — ours are grown up and out on their own — I would not permit them to go trick or treating this year. And, given that the pandemic seems to be continuing unabated, I think it would be wise to have our town officially cancel trick or treating.

But this is America and Americans balk at anyone taking away their “God given rights,” including their right to have their kids go trick or treating. So I’m going to buy a couple of bags of Halloween candy and wear a mask when I answer the door just in case any kids do come up to our house and ring the bell. Hopefully there won’t be that many and I’ll have enough candy miniatures to snack on through the whole month of November.

13 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Trick or Treat

1. Sadje September 29, 2020 / 9:44 am

I think you’re right that people shouldn’t allow young children to go out in this current situation.

2. newepicauthor September 29, 2020 / 9:53 am

Do you think that the bag you wear over your head will offer you enough protection?

3. Jen Goldie September 29, 2020 / 9:57 am

It should be cancelled. They can dress up and have treats at home. It’s too dangerous!

4. Marleen September 29, 2020 / 11:15 am

I asked my mom if people wear masks at church (where she goes every day to salve her conscience [rather than ever make restitution or be honest] and stroke her excuse for an ego [like Trump’s] but I won’t go into that). She said, in an exasperated manner, that, yes, they do. And she has to wear masks at stores, and they hand you one if you arrive without one. People will look at you with annoyance if you don’t have a mask on. Yes, of course, I’m simply speaking of protective masks, not Halloween masks. My guess, though, is that there will be some nod to Halloween at many churches… which I find odd but recognize is something if a safety measure (has been for other reasons and will be now for additional reasons). I wonder what people will do to combine costumes and protective masks or face shields.

• Marleen September 29, 2020 / 11:17 am

*something OF a safety measure

5. Don September 29, 2020 / 2:37 pm

I don’t think a law can appropriately address this one. If you think there should be no trick or treating then don’t participate. No one’s going to vandalize (“trick”) your house for it, as they would in the old days. I have no plans but am most likely to lock the door and leave whatever lights I don’t need off. That said I imagine most families will opt for face masks that have been tricked up for Halloween, or added to an existing costume.

It’s a dumb holiday. Used to be, people would get all dressed up, cross-dress, whatever, on Christmas or the day day after (I forget), and if not treated, would get all mean. This is where Boxing Day came from. Somehow in this country All Hallows’ Eve morphed into a children’s version, Christmas got all cleaned up, and adults started having their own Halloween parties. When I was part of Burning Man culture we’d easily have half a dozen wild costume parties during the year, and that was great fun and made the standard Halloween version seem pretty tame. But those days are over, to quote Sting, and I’m not sure anymore what the kids get out of it either.

6. leigha66 October 7, 2020 / 8:50 pm

Our city and several surrounding towns are having it. I think I may turn off our porch light this year. I don’t think I want to run the risk of catching it. And if my daughter were still young I would not want her out in it.