Unpresidented

King TrumpYes, I know that there’s no such word as “unpresidented.” However, what our current president is doing is “unprecedented,” and is unlike what any other president in American history has even hinted at doing.

A hallmark of our nation’s democracy has been the peaceful transfer of power between political opponents. The loser of every presidential election in U.S. history has peacefully surrendered power to the winner, despite whatever personal animosity or political divisions might exist.

But in an unprecedented move, our current president, Donald Trump, has outright refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power after the November election. “We’re going to see what happens. Get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very peaceful — there won’t be a transfer, frankly. There will be a continuation.”

Oh my fucking God! “Get rid of the ballots”? “A continuation”? I think he means “a coronation.”

You may remember that this is not the first time that Trump has equivocated about the results of a presidential election. In 2016, prior to that year’s election, Trump also declined to commit to honoring the election results if his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, won, claiming that the only way she could win would be if the election was rigged. Even though she did win the popular vote by almost three million, she lost the Electoral College vote — don’t get me started on the Electoral College — giving the Office of the President to Trump. Yet still, his fragile ego would not allow him to accept that more people voted for Clinton than for him. Trump tried to claim that those three million votes for Hillary were fraudulent and/or illegal. Of course, there was no evidence to support such a claim.

As I posted yesterday, “Trump is going to do everything he can, with active help from his pal Vladimir, to stay in office regardless of the legitimate outcome of the election.” Now, Trump’s refusal to commit to what is perhaps the most fundamental tenet of American democracy, has cast serious doubt around the November election and its aftermath. And if he continues with his unfounded and insane rhetoric, and riles up his gun-toting, far right, white nationalist supporters, the days between the November 3rd election and the scheduled January 20th inauguration, will throw the United States into a chaos such as it hasn’t experienced since the American Civil War a century and a half ago.

As I’ve said on this blog many times over the past year (here and here, for example), buckle up, America, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

29 thoughts on “Unpresidented

1. Mister Bump UK September 24, 2020 / 12:01 pm

I don’t think he could act unilaterally.
    The government must have protocols for if he refuses to leave office, the military, etc. How would the stock markets fare? Foreign capital? I think that the woreld is too interconnected now.

• Mister Bump UK September 24, 2020 / 12:03 pm

I can, however, agree with your assessment of violence. I fear the US is gearing up to that.

• Fandango September 24, 2020 / 1:16 pm

There are ways he can do it, unfortunately. There’s the antiquated Electoral College that allowed him to be president even though he had 3 million fewer votes than his opponent. And one of the reasons he’s pushing so hard to fill RBG’s vacancy on the Supreme Court is that h
      he’s counting on a 6-3 conservative majority in the Supreme Court to rule his way in the inevitable court battles before it. That’s what gave Bush the election in 2000. So just you watch, Pete. It’s going to be ugly.

• Mister Bump UK September 24, 2020 / 1:28 pm

I take your point, but something like international opinion, foreign capital, is not something that Trump can control. Trump can’t just say, “I’m president, stuff you” because these people will have an opinion.
        What I suspect he will do is to look for reasons why the poll might be invalid, and to try to sell those reasons to everybody.

• Fandango September 24, 2020 / 1:31 pm

He doesn’t need to sell it. He’s got the whole government apparatus behind him and, if necessary, will turn this country into a police state and declare martial law. He doesn’t care about international opinion, except, maybe, for the opinion of Vladimir Putin. America is on the precipice of collapse.

• Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing September 24, 2020 / 2:58 pm

Exactly! This is so hard for a rational person like Pete (Mr. Bump) to wrap his head around. It’s hard for us to believe too, but it is happening and there is nothing that can stop him short of a miracle landslide for Joe Biden where we wouldn’t even have to count the mail in ballots. Sadly the whole spineless republican party is on this Trump power trip. We are looking at a fascist about to crown himself King of the USA. 😦 We kid you not Pete.

2. Clever Girl September 24, 2020 / 12:10 pm

I’m listening to this podcast called Bunga Bunga. Highly recommended. It’s about Silvio Berlusconi, a real estate mogul and his rise to PM in Italy.

It’s fascinating how many parallels there are between him and Trump. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump studied him extensively. They’re both crooks.

3. XingfuMama September 24, 2020 / 12:24 pm

This is one of his tactics: he is trying to get people to vote for him in fear of what he will do if he isn’t re-elected. Probably aiming at his “sub-urban woman” demographic.

I think as many of us who can need to take economic action, now. The stock market reacting negatively along with a landslide would make a difference. If you are able to make a point of canceling something, like Netflix or Disney (find companies whose stocks have risen during the pandemic, there actually aren’t that many) and make a point of saying that Trump’s policies are why on social media. There are plenty of Trump policies to choose from: the threat of losing Social Security/Medicare, the loss of the Affordable Care Act (don’t call it “Obamacare”, and don’t pretend like it will be saved), a general lack of money due to the corona-virus, fear of losing your job and its health insurance if you get COVID 19…Pass the message along because it will take a mass action. We need Main Street and Wall Street on the same page: dump Trump.
    If Biden is elected re-up…if Trump tries anything cancel again.
    This is a logical reaction: the Republican plans will lead to a depression. Maybe not a panic like the one in 1929, more likely a corona-virus pandemic like juggernaut of people going bankrupt from medical costs and losing homes after losing livelihoods.

On a more positive note Joe Biden being the candidate is perfect for this situation: he knows what a functional White House looks like and has competent teams ready to move in and get going.

• amoralegria September 24, 2020 / 1:30 pm

I agree, this is appalling. That is why we ALL need to vote – no more apathy! He’s counting on that. If Biden wins by a landslide, even a conservative SCOTUS won’t go along with him.

4. Stine Writing September 24, 2020 / 12:30 pm

I don’t even think “bumpy” comes close! This is going to be a complete shit show and I cannot in my right mind understand how this is actually happening.

5. rugby843 September 24, 2020 / 12:33 pm

Agreed and said so on the blog. People need to get facts for themselves on his outright lies. If they are unwilling or too lazy to do so, we are all in jeopardy. ENOUGH of this charlatan!

6. amoralegria September 24, 2020 / 1:28 pm

• trishsplace September 26, 2020 / 12:09 am

But is it not what you’re all saying – that no matter who wins, Trump may not step aside? As a non-American, all books and movies show that the President has ultimate power and the armed forces will follow and support him. What stands in the way of that?

• Fandango September 26, 2020 / 9:02 am

I hope there will be those who cherish the American democracy and will uphold the U.S. Constitution (including the military) who will step up and prevail.

• Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing September 24, 2020 / 3:05 pm

Yes. I read this last night and could barely sleep. It was absolutely frightening that we are looking this square in the eyes and there is noting we can do. If this happens, it is the end of democracy in this country.

• Fandango September 24, 2020 / 4:00 pm

Thanks. I already read it and it scares the shit out of me.

7. Paula Light September 24, 2020 / 4:06 pm

Horrifying and terrifying. Yet his supporters are fine with it because they’ve gulped down all the propaganda about antifa and commies and devil worshipers eating babies. Mitch says not to worry, all will be fine… that’s the scariest thing of all!

8. Sadje September 24, 2020 / 6:36 pm

Very worrying statements from that buffoon. You know in our country the armed forces commander has this much authority that if he whispers it in the ears of the current PM about transferring the power quietly and smoothly, he would do it without a squeak.

9. IV WORDS September 25, 2020 / 8:44 am

Don’t get me started on the Electoral College, either. For 30 years now I’ve been saying to anyone who will listen that the archaic mechanism for selecting U.S. presidents needs to go. In the 54 years I’ve been eligible to vote, I’ve never missed an election. In all those years, because I live in a deep red state (ND), and even if my candidate won, my vote for president has never counted toward putting that person into the White House. The Electoral College was a poor compromise when it was conceived, and now it could very well be the downfall of our democratic republic.

• Fandango September 25, 2020 / 12:50 pm

I agree. It’s an antiquated mechanism that make no sense in a modern democracy, but it will take a constitutional amendment to get rid of it, and I don’t see that happening.

10. leigha66 October 3, 2020 / 1:01 am

Looking at this now, after the debates and now him being hospitalized with covid… I really wonder what is going to happen. I am sure you have posted about both things… I want to skip ahead and read them but I am really trying to read in order to catch up.