Fandango’s Provocative Question #88

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This week’s provocative question is about control — or lack thereof.I’ve never been someone who believes in fate or predestination. I’ve always felt that I am in control of my life. The decisions I have made, my actions, and my choices have, for better or for worse, gotten me to where I am. And because these decisions, actions, and choices were mine, I believed that I was in control.

But now I’m not so sure anymore. With all the shit that is going on around us — the pandemic, extreme partisan politics, social unrest, corruption at the highest levels of the government, the WordPress block editor — I’m starting to feel that I no longer am in control of my life.

Maybe I’m being a bit melodramatic about the way I’m feeling these days, and I don’t know if anyone else is feeling somewhat overwhelmed and out of control as I am. But I guess there’s one way to find out, and that brings me to this week’s provocative question:

To what degree have you been able to control the course that your life has taken? Or is being in control of your life just an illusion?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

23 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #88

1. Irene September 23, 2020 / 6:36 am

Total control would seem like an illusion to me, but there are certain degrees to this matter. I think we definitely have no control over some global events, such as natural disasters, but we have control over how we react to them (e.g., wearing a mask during a pandemic, even if people around choose not to), and we can have some effect over social unrest or partisan politics (by voting, for example), and even the WordPress block editor shall not put us in a box (LOL) us as bloggers, as long as we persevere.

2. Pingback: The Bag Lady
  3. Paula Light September 23, 2020 / 1:14 pm

Control is an illusion as is free will, but it’s probably better to behave as if we can effect change 🙂

4. Richmond Road September 23, 2020 / 3:07 pm

I’m in Paula’s camp. My strong belief is that we have absolutely no control over anything and that nothing whatsoever has any importance. In order to survive, though, it seems that we all need to find things that we’d like to be important and steadfastly pretend that they are.

• Fandango September 23, 2020 / 10:24 pm

Well that’s good to know. No control and nothing in life is important. This is helpful because now I can stop my quest to ascertain the meaning of life.

• Richmond Road September 23, 2020 / 11:50 pm

Unfortunately not. Whatever you do or don’t do, in terms of that pointless quest is beyond your control. I suspect that you are doomed to continue it. But I was doomed to say that, of course. And that.

5. CARAMEL September 23, 2020 / 3:21 pm

I would love to write up a post on this subject because I find it interesting. I don’t know if I will have the energy.
    …but there was a woman on the news this morning who apparently nearly drowned a month ago. She was swimming out at sea and injured her leg. She was struggling to swim back to the shore. Apparently she said that she was going to give up trying, in her own mind she thought “this must be my time” as if someone had decided that she would die that day by drowning. So she became resigned to it. Two little girls had heard/seen her and had swam out to her. They were able to bring her back to the beach during the skills the had learnt in a Life-Saving class.

It fascinated me because I have heard people say during the past six months “if you are gonna get it you are gonna get it, you can’t change your destiny” which is so strange, because there are measures you can take to protect yourself and other people.

More than ever before I realize how the different way people see their own existence, life, the world, death can have a marked effect on their behaviour.

Another guy said to me that if he is gonna die of this virus he wants to make the most of his time left so he is gonna party as best he can. I was trying to reason with him that there is no reason he should die from this virus if he follows the guidance on hygiene and social distancing.

I can think of many other examples where what a person believes can make the do things that do not make any sense. Which suggests to me that it is perhaps it is their beliefs that do not make sense. From those who think the day of their death and manner of dying is predetermined and cannot be changed….to those who think there is nothing else but to eat, drink and party because once you are dead you are dead. They are extremes in thinking.

Maybe I will have some time try to discuss it…but I am going to try to go back to work tomorrow and I have had a major headache for the passed few days, so I might not be able to think clearly.

• Fandango September 23, 2020 / 10:33 pm

While I am one of those who believes that once you are dead you are dead, I am not a hedonist who wastes his life eating, drinking, and partying all the time. Quite to the contrary, actually. I try to live my life in a purposeful and meaningful way precisely because I believe that this finite life is the ONLY life I have and once it’s over, it’s truly and permanently over.

• CARAMEL September 24, 2020 / 2:19 am

Which is a more respectable unselfish way of living, and more balanced.

I believe in a Creator, but I certainly do not believe he charts our steps. We all have free will, although I guess it’s obvious freedom relative. For a start it is limited by various laws (from gavity to the law of human governments) and our use of freedom is a responsibility and has consequences. The idea of Him deliberately arranging for someone to die in a tragic accident, horrible disease or act of terrorism is unthinkable.

I do believe He has a purpose, for this earth to be what He intended it for, a beautiful home teaming with thriving creatures and a happy healthy human family. I do not believe He will the damage to go on for much longer.

• Fandango September 24, 2020 / 12:23 pm

Well, if there is a creator, I sure hope he implements his intended purpose very, very soon.