How Do They Sleep at Night?

This came across my newsfeed this morning.Why am I surprised that no Republicans in Congress possesses even an ounce of scruples?

Why would I think that any Republican in Congress, including those who previously insisted that they would not support filling a vacancy for a new Supreme Court justice in a presidential election year, are now saying that they will support, just 41 days before our next presidential election, filling the Supreme Court vacancy created by the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

These spineless, unscrupulous, lying, hypocritical Republicans want to reverse Roe v. Wade, thus taking away a woman’s right to manage her own reproductive healthcare. They want to destroy the Affordable Care Act, thus depriving millions of Americans of access to cost-effective healthcare. And with a solid, 6 to 3 conservative majority on the high court, that is exactly what the Republicans will be able to accomplish when pending cases on Roe v. Wade and the ACA come before the court.

Most important, these scuzzy Republicans want to give their Lord and Master, Donald Trump, a conservative majority on the Supreme Court so that when he contests the election — and Trump has already told us that is what he’s planning to do — he will have the support of the right-wing high court to declare him the victor.

Because of Trump, McConnell, Barr, and all of the Republican sycophants in Congress, democracy America is over. Putin has won. How do they look at themselves in the mirror? How do they sleep at night?

I am angry. I am frustrated. I am tired. I am depressed. I am without hope. And I’m heartbroken.

31 thoughts on “How Do They Sleep at Night?

1. tiredhamster September 22, 2020 / 2:33 pm

I know the title’s a rhetorical question, but my answer is that they don’t. They’re weird lizard people that don’t sleep and only take power-naps in between blood rituals.

But seriously, the fact that a reality TV show host and casino owner who didn’t even win the most votes can appoint 3 supreme court justices who will be there for decades until they’re dead shows how broken our system is. It also doesn’t help that most of our politicians are either stupid or corrupt and don’t have our interests in mind.

I think there is hope for the US, but we’re going to have to go through Hell first. All of these recent events have been a long time coming and are the result of not just years of systemic damage, but also foundational flaws.

• Fandango September 22, 2020 / 9:04 pm

“I think there is hope for the US, but we’re going to have to go through Hell first.” And that’s why I’ve lost hope. I think once you arrive in Hell, there’s no way back.

2. Marleen September 22, 2020 / 5:08 pm

They also begrudge contraception. They want women to be pregnant but not to be secure in coverage for perinatal and delivery care, even if they pay for insurance.

And some Republicans (or their followers) wonder from whence has alighted the incel phenomenon and additional warped attitudes (while most don’t really care).

• rugby843 September 23, 2020 / 4:45 am

It is disgusting to think after the strides achieved, a few old men will determine a woman s fate.

• rugby843 September 23, 2020 / 9:59 am

If we lived closer we could go out and cry in our beer😄. Not that I’ve ever done that, unless it was a Dos Equis with lime😳🙄😃

• Marleen September 23, 2020 / 4:28 pm

Won’t it be okay if it’s a woman who achieves the tipping point so that a woman, in effect, decides for all women what they should do? There is already a majority of conservatives on the Court, and they made a couple of weird pro-abortion decisions in the last year or so — including the upholding of having an abortion based on only the sex of the fetus. But appointing a woman may be the strategic rationalization to do an about face.

• Marleen September 23, 2020 / 7:30 pm

Right now, it looks like they may be cynical enough to put on an appearance that it’s about gender. It’s “almost” as if they want to rub it in our faces and say that, while we wanted women to be free to work and have careers [or not… as the cases may be], ha: we can still figure out ways to make life harder than it needs to be for you!

• Fandango September 23, 2020 / 10:39 pm

There are a lot of women who are extremely anti-abortion.

• Marleen September 23, 2020 / 11:08 pm

Yes, there are indeed. And the Republicans seem to want one of them to not only turn over Roe v. Wade (including the China-esque decision in favor of selecting for sex), which is one thing, but also to keep up their anti-contraception stance plus the to-hell-with-you attitude against wanting paid health insurance to be sure and cover care during pregnancy, childbirth, and follow-up. And all of that on top of the death-wish they have for people in terms of health care in general and handling of people with pre-existing conditions — of which being a woman or female is only one.

• Marleen September 23, 2020 / 11:15 pm

Oh. And now Trump is indicating a hope/expectation that his new (female) appointment will be in place to uphold his (or his enablers) maneuvers to “throw out the votes” and end democracy as we’ve tried to know it.

• Fandango September 23, 2020 / 11:21 pm

Every day it gets worse and worse.

3. Paula Light September 22, 2020 / 6:21 pm

Agreed. Still donated to ActBlue today for the flip and will vote straight Dem when my ballot arrives. Don’t give up!

• Fandango September 22, 2020 / 11:17 pm

I will vote straight Dem, too. But DJT is going to lie, cheat, and steal…the election, so I’m not sure if it will do any good. I think we’re all fucked.

4. rugby843 September 22, 2020 / 7:07 pm

I feel exactly the same. I wrote my congressmen today but I know it won’t do any good. This is bright red WY. 😲😧😢

• Fandango September 22, 2020 / 11:18 pm

Probably not, but at least you did something.

5. XingfuMama September 22, 2020 / 7:26 pm

The outrage feeds them. If we can stay calm it will help. But not give up the fight: voting is crucial. I’ve never given to political campaigns before, but I have this year. $$ are a way of voting that the R’s understand. I keep wishing there was a way to take down the economy, specifically to make it so that Wall Street reflects Main Street. One problem is that these geriatric lizards are too insulated from real life. The only thing they understand is a market drop.
    Seems like we could figure it out: about 25% of the market value of the S&P is a handful of firms. Amazon, Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, Facebook primarily,

• Fandango September 22, 2020 / 11:21 pm

And all Trump cares about is the stock market, which he erroneously thinks is THE key indicator for America’s economic health.

• XingfuMama September 23, 2020 / 6:46 am

Yes. And he’s not alone in that. I’ve been thinking, instead of sleeping, and have wondered if the standard approach of mass protests doesn’t feed his ego, like his rallies. What if everyone stayed home and mourned RBG by going on a spending fast? An internet fast (since the biggest contributors to the high market value are the mega tech). I don’t know how to organize something like that, but it might be more effective than giving him and his goons targets to shoot at.

• Fandango September 23, 2020 / 10:13 am

That’s a good idea, but I don’t know how to organize something like that, either.

6. amoralegria September 22, 2020 / 8:38 pm

This news about Romney is really disappointing. It’s now time for the American people to act. People have to pester and shame their senators (if they’re Republicons). We need to protest in the street. When the public puts real pressure on, it is possible to change minds. At least we can hope. At least we can try. (Living in a solidly blue state is actually frustrating right now – I’m all ready to go out there and FIGHT, but both of my senators are Democrats and there is no point in calling, say, Ron Johnson, because I don’t live in Wisconsin and he doesn’t give a damn about what I think.)

• Fandango September 22, 2020 / 11:34 pm

I don’t think these Republicans are capable of feeling shame.

7. rugby843 September 23, 2020 / 4:43 am

The key R who can change the vote need to act. If they don’t there is no hope and the old ways will come back. Romney is weak and so are the rest that refuse to stand up.

• Fandango September 23, 2020 / 9:41 am

I don’t think that four Republicans will vote against confirmation, no matter who Trump nominates.

8. RuthScribbles September 23, 2020 / 11:02 am

Yep depressed. I’m trying to prepare myself. Either outcome is going to be war.

9. leigha66 September 30, 2020 / 2:54 pm

It is hard to “like” something that is so frustrating and maddening. But I agree with you 100%.