Who Won The Week? 09/20/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

I’m sorry for running late with today’s Who Won the Week post, but I am still reeling after the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Thus, I’m feeling hard pressed to come up with someone or something to select.I would hope that RBG’s passing could serve to energize Democrats and liberals by making it painfully clear what having a 6 to 3 conservative majority on the Supreme Court would do to the future of our nation. Her death makes very real the choice American voters have in November as perhaps no other issue can.

For those on the left, the Notorious RBG’s death is potentially disastrous, opening up the possibility that her seat on the Supreme Court could be filled by someone who would cement a far right conservative majority for years.

For those on the right, the vacancy presents the opportunity to fulfill a decades-long drive to change the nature of the court for a generation, including putting judges who oppose abortion at the top of their list.

Ginsburg’s death also changes the dynamic for the campaign between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. The Supreme Court has long been the voting issue for some conservatives, particularly evangelical Christians. Trump will undoubtedly be counting on the prospect of expanding a conservative majority on the court to further energize that part of his base.

But that same possibility of a potentially decades long conservative majority on the high court is just as likely to have an impact on Trump’s opponents. The history of the abortion debate suggests that when the right to an abortion is seriously threatened, as it would likely be with a 6 to 3 conservative majority, pro-choice proponents become activated. Because of the role Ginsburg played in empowering women and in fighting for women’s rights, her loss could galvanize those on the left to show up big time for this year’s election.

So sorry folks, but no Who Won The Week pick from me this week. What about you? Who (or what) do you think won the week?

17 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 09/20/2020

1. RuthScribbles September 20, 2020 / 1:55 pm

This will galvanize everyone. Abortion is the tool that the jerk GOP use to get and keep power. It’s so hypocritical. It makes me want to scream.

2. lifelessons September 20, 2020 / 2:19 pm

I think Ruth did if people will mobilize to bring about the end result she desired.

• Fandango September 20, 2020 / 10:40 pm

I hope that will be the case.

3. Marleen September 20, 2020 / 3:17 pm

I remember an evangelical blogger laughing that women’s menstrual cycles would be overseen if anything like Handmaid’s Tale were a legitimate concern in our culture.

Missouri politicians have gone too far. This is government overreach at its worst. It shadows the Trump administration’s history of tracking the periods of refugee girls under the government’s care. This is outrageous and [is] disgusting.

The man in charge at the border had already been told, by court order (after purposely slowing and impairing a raped girl’s freedom of movement for legal purpose), not to interfere in the reproductive details of female immigrants.

4. annieasksyou September 20, 2020 / 6:02 pm

RBG’s death is devastating in so many ways. I do hope healthcare, now hanging by a thread, galvanizes people as it did in 2018. And with not only the ACA but also reproductive rights so endangered, I hope we’ll get a massive turnout of young people.

I had thought earlier of someone I felt had won the week: Amika Palmer, mother of Breonna Taylor, who was. killed by the police. In the settlement arising from that tragedy, Palmer insisted on police reforms. Her hope was that these changes might save lives and thus be Breonna’s living legacy, as she had been both an EMT and ER tech, working to save people’s lives.

• Fandango September 20, 2020 / 10:46 pm

Yes, she would have been a good choice.

5. Mister Bump UK September 20, 2020 / 10:56 pm

I picked her as my winner, because although dying is hardlky a win, the occasion of her death brings several issues to the fore, which is handy for you in the month before you vote.

• Marleen September 21, 2020 / 12:11 pm

Although the clip I shared, below, is indicative toward the perception of our sad lack of cohesiveness or caring (among too many people… while… certainly not all or even the majority) — see from 1:30 and then from 3:15 and, especially, briefly from 5 minutes in — I didn’t choose it in response to your hope, AND I appreciate your optimism.

6. Marleen September 21, 2020 / 1:14 am

I have a(nother) nomination, if we were to do dominations… you know. An honorable mention. Israel.

COVID-19 Cases On the Rise In the United States

7. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing September 21, 2020 / 9:07 pm

We need more women’s marches across the country now in honor of RBG and remind all women that if the republicans get their 6th Supreme Court judge, women in this country can kiss goodbye to their equal and reproductive rights, putting us back decades. Don’t let these monsters have power over us and do this to us again.

• Fandango September 21, 2020 / 10:43 pm

We need to take to the streets, but then we’ll be gassed or beaten or shots by Trump’s secret militia.