Friday Fictioneers — Bad Karma

“Mommy look,” Jess said, pointing to a baby’s highchair on the sidewalk surrounded by trash. “Can we take it home for my baby doll?”

“No, sweetheart,” Jess’ mother said. “It has a bad karma.”

“What is karma, Momma?” Jess asked.

“It’s hard to explain, honey,” her mother said, “but seeing such a nice highchair on the sidewalk surrounded by junk gives me the willies.”

“What are the willies, Momma?” Jess asked.

“Just bad feelings, like something’s not quite right.”

“So what is wrong with that highchair?” Jess asked.

“Someone tossed it out,” her mother answered. “And that haunts me.”

(99 words)

Written for today’s Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Roger Bultot.

17 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Bad Karma

1. neilmacdon September 18, 2020 / 10:20 am

we invest objects with stories and that’s how we understand the world

2. Marleen September 18, 2020 / 2:24 pm

There will be something like bad karma for a country who evict people and put their stuff out at the curb when the people haven’t been bad tenants (but have suffered due to COVID effects).

3. Bill September 18, 2020 / 4:09 pm

Another story where there must be more to the story. Nicely done.

4. Sue September 19, 2020 / 8:44 am

I agree – trust your instincts! When ya get the willies, stay away! Well done.

• Fandango September 19, 2020 / 11:03 pm

It, the photo, made me feel sad, too.

5. leigha66 September 26, 2020 / 12:04 am

I imagine someone who lost a child, otherwise I think they would pass on the chair to family or friends. Very sad.