Truthful Tuesday — Authors and Books

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. This week Frank wants to know about the authors and books we like. He asks:

Do you have a favorite author? If so, who and why? If not, why not?

This is tough because it depends upon genre and my reading taste spans a lot of different genres. I like authors who transport me to a different place and/or a different time. Authors like James Clavell or James Michener. For sci-fi Isaac Asimov. Horror: Stephen King. Spy novels: Robert Ludlum. Fantasies: JRR Tolkien. Humor: Dave Barry. Shall I go on?

What was the first book you remember enjoying reading?

What three books best sum up your taste in literature?

Issac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. James Clavell’s Shōgun.

17 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Authors and Books

1. PCGuyIV September 15, 2020 / 1:06 pm

Shōgun is one of my favorites. It was one of the few books that wasn’t a murder mystery that my father and I both liked.

• Fandango September 15, 2020 / 3:31 pm

I agree. A great book that took me on a fantastic journey to another time and place.

2. rugby843 September 15, 2020 / 1:55 pm

I can picture T reading this Prompt, “truthful Tuesday?  What’s that?”  😬

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

3. Ian Kay September 16, 2020 / 1:45 am

What became of Dick and Jane and are they still having fun? Disillusionment with Dick and Jane. 😁

• Fandango September 16, 2020 / 6:40 am

Look, Jane. See Donald on his throne.
      Yes, Dick. He fills me with disillusionment.

• Melanie B Cee September 16, 2020 / 7:05 am

I think “Jane” revolted against the stereotype of little girls having to wear dresses. How 60s of her….. (This was my ‘first’ book too btw….ah for the innocent days of by-gone, when men were men and women didn’t have to fear orange asshats with grabby hands AS MUCH)…

• Ian Kay September 17, 2020 / 12:42 am

Ours were similar books but were about Janet and John (there was a dog too but I can’t remember its name). The illustrations look as if it was done by the same artist.

It has a very 50s look. I believe Dick, Jane, Janet and John were Boomers.

• Fandango September 17, 2020 / 7:15 am

The Dick and Jane books actually started in 1930 but they probably evolved a little until they ended in 1965.

4. Carol anne September 19, 2020 / 10:06 pm

I dont read horror or scifi! I cant seem to get into SciFi and horror is too scary for me! Lol. I like non fiction, thrillers, animals stories and memoirs.

5. leigha66 September 21, 2020 / 7:52 am

Dick and Jane books… ah, the memories! The dog I believe was Spot, but was there a cat too?

• leigha66 September 21, 2020 / 10:06 pm

From Wikipedia “In addition, Sharp developed the main characters of “Dick” and “Jane,” the older brother and sister in a fictional family that included “Mother,” “Father,” and a younger sister named “Sally,” their pets, “Spot” (originally a cat in the 1930s, but a dog in later editions), and “Puff,” their cat; and a toy teddy bear …” I had to look it up.