The Catered Affair

“Okay, so the menu is set,” Dave said. “The guests will have their choice of beef, chicken, or vegetarian meals.”

“What about Uncle George?” Elaine asked. “He eats only fish.”

“This is not a game, Elaine,” Dave said. “We’re not adding a fish meal option to the menu just because of that eccentric, ichthyophagous uncle of yours. I’m telling you, we’re going to stay the course.”

“Oh, Dave, how difficult would it be to add a fish option? I’m sure there are other guests who might prefer fish,” Elaine said.

“Fine!” Dave said, throwing his hand up in resignation. “I’ll call the caterers and see what they can do to add a fish option. I just don’t want anymore turmoil.”

“Thank you, honey,” Elaine said, giving her husband a peck on the cheek.

“Anything not to have to listen to your incessant whining,” Dave said.

Written for these daily prompts: The Daily Spur (game), Word of the Day Challenge (ichthyophagous), Ragtag Daily Prompt (stay), . Your Daily Word Prompt (turmoil), and Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (incessant).

19 thoughts on “The Catered Affair

1. Marleen September 15, 2020 / 5:31 pm

He eats only fish? He can’t go vegetarian? What? Is he a seal? 🤣

On the other hand, there could be fish and beef or fish and chicken?

2. kajmeister26 September 15, 2020 / 5:31 pm

it would be easier to lose Uncle George’s invitation. (Oh, George, didn’t you get yours? I’m soooo sorry.) Unless he has all the money, in which case, disinvite other people.

• Fandango September 15, 2020 / 10:34 pm

I like losing his invitation. 😏

3. Christine Goodnough September 15, 2020 / 8:06 pm

I’m glad they resolved this, but Dave’s last comment is a dart that may someday come back to poke him.

• Marleen September 16, 2020 / 12:11 am

Rabbit?

• Marleen September 16, 2020 / 11:41 am

I agree, by the way, with Mr. Bump — the song that inevitably got into his head (or the ear worm) is ugly. I learned something about a different English culture (and how much they can be like ours but in other words).

• Marleen September 16, 2020 / 3:32 am

The end of the story, above — as well as Mr. Bump’s take on the word incessant — reminded me of the beginning part of this clip. Then… the clip reminded me of the label someone put under it.

The Dark Knight: Batman vs. Salvatori Maroni

• Christine Goodnough September 16, 2020 / 6:32 am

And some sounds echo. You snarl, they snarl back. Then you snarl more and they snarl more back. Some law of human nature, I think. 😉

4. Melanie B Cee September 16, 2020 / 7:08 am

Great use of the fish eating word…. O_o I suspect Dave spent some time sleeping on the couch. Wives don’t play…

5. leigha66 September 21, 2020 / 9:27 am

That whining comment will get him in to trouble no doubt!