Just When You Think It Can’t Get Any Worse

A nurse at a Georgia Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility has accused the detention center, operated by LaSalle Corrections, a private prison company, of performing hysterectomies on immigrant women being detained there, usually without their knowledge, much less their consent.

The nurse, Dawn Wooten, made the allegations in a whistleblower complaint sent by Project South to the Department of Homeland Security and the Office of the Inspector General. According to Wooten, The ICE detention center consistently used a particular outside gynecologist who almost always opted to remove all or part of the uterus of his female detainee patients.

“Everybody he sees has a hysterectomy — just about everybody,” Wooten said, adding that, “everybody’s uterus cannot be that bad.”“When I met all these women who had had surgeries, I thought this was like an experimental concentration camp,” one woman said. “It was like they’re experimenting with their bodies.”

“Like an experimental concentration camp.” And some people have been critical of me for drawing an analogy between Trump’s America in 2020 and Hitler’s Nazi Germany in 1938.Trump and Hitler

33 thoughts on “Just When You Think It Can’t Get Any Worse

• Fandango September 15, 2020 / 7:39 am

I don’t know for absolute certainty that the allegations are true, but the whistleblower complaint that was filed is real.

1. blindzanygirl September 15, 2020 / 4:34 am

OMG that’s terrifying. It starts with one then grows, but I’ll bet this isn’t the only one!

2. Teresa Grabs September 15, 2020 / 6:06 am

Well, when it comes to Trump, all you can say is like father and like grandfather. It wouldn’t surprise me if this were not true. The south led the nation is forced sterilizations during the eugenics movement, it continued in South Carolina (I think) until the mid-80s if not a little later and history is repeating itself on a smaller scale. He openly admits he’s a nationalist and has a proven track record of being a racist and keeping other openly racist people close by. The only way it’s going to stop is to get people to open their eyes but anyone who looks back on history and asks, “How did Hitler even rise to power?” need look no further than a Trump rally. Eight years of “living with a Black man in the White House” has produced the same results of the interwar years in Germany. If it were not Trump, it would have been another nationalist who rose to power.

3. XingfuMama September 15, 2020 / 8:04 am

It should be verifiable. I’ve been expecting something of this nature since I heard a couple of years ago, on Rachel Madow that one high up was monitoring the menstruation cycles of the teens they were holding at the border.

• Marleen September 15, 2020 / 12:48 pm

You’re obviously very smart. Weird things like that don’t happen for no reason. The people in charge are perverse. And I agree with you that there is obviously a way to verify… that is, IF anyone is allowed to look!

Fandango said: Of course, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement responded to this story with a statement that said, generally speaking, “anonymous, unproven allegations, made without any fact-checkable specifics” should be treated with skepticism.

No “fact-checkable specifics”? Are their wombs regenerating?

• Marleen September 15, 2020 / 3:43 pm

You know, thinking further, they may have shuffled the women around or otherwise made them untraceable (beyond administratively unavailable) like they made so many if not most or nearly all of the children, separated from their parents, un-reconnectable and essentially lost.

Turns out the doctor involved has committed fraud before! It appears these private institutions, like Trump himself, have a policy of only hiring “the best people.”

• XingfuMama September 15, 2020 / 3:57 pm

There should be a record of all medical procedures performed. The ACLU would be a good place to start. ICE should be eager to straighten it out if the information is incorrect. It might also be an idea to send it to Rachel Maddow as a story tip.
        Sadly, this administration seems to think that the problem is getting caught not doing something that is morally reprehensible.

• Marleen September 15, 2020 / 5:09 pm

Yep

• Fandango September 15, 2020 / 10:32 pm

I just watched it covered on Rachel Maddow tonight.

• XingfuMama September 16, 2020 / 6:11 am

I’m happy to see this getting attention. With so much else going on it could get drowned out.

• Fandango September 16, 2020 / 6:52 am

I couldn’t believe it when I first read about it. Well, given our president, I could believe it, but it’s just another outrageous thing happening under his watch.

4. Melanie B Cee September 15, 2020 / 9:33 am

As sobering as that news is, and surreal in some ways (who believed AMERICA would come to this pass?);’ it’s not new. A health clinic I worked for in the early 2000s did the same thing. Finally someone complained that there were all these ‘procedures’ being done, where the patient didn’t speak nor understand English and therefore could not have given informed consent. I know that I wouldn’t have allowed such a thing to happen to me, but then I never went somewhere I didn’t at least try to learn some of the language. No doctor would have worked on me without me knowing exactly what they were doing. It’s awful, but it’s a fairly old story sadly enough.

5. leigha66 September 20, 2020 / 8:44 pm

You said Rachel Maddow covered this… it was fact checked and true? This is beyond horrendous! It is just such a frightening time!

6. Carol anne September 22, 2020 / 1:34 pm

It is indeed like the concentration camps of the 1940’s! So sad!