Spreading FUD

When I was still working before I retired, one of our most effective business-to-business (B2B) sales tools was something called “FUD.” It’s an acronym for Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The idea was to persuade a prospective client that either doing nothing or deciding to go with another vendor would be a risky decision. One that would lead to bad outcomes.

IBM used to have an expression that it used to very great effect: “No one ever lost his/her job by hiring IBM.” IBM was considered the safe option when it came to anything related to computers, software, and technology solutions.

Donald Trump and his Republican sycophants are doing their best to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt among the electorate in their efforts to get Trump re-elected and to maintain GOP control of the Senate.

Trump is claiming that, should Biden win in November, American cities would dissolve into “chaos and anarchy” — as if Trump, thanks, in a large part, to his militaristic actions in cities like Portland, hasn’t already escalated chaos and instigated violence.

He and his cronies are telling white suburbanites that, under Biden, their American Dream will be lost when minorities, the poor, and members of MS-13 infect their suburban enclaves. Trump and the Republicans are suggesting that, should Biden win, these guys will be your new neighbors. Yikes!MS-13Trump has threatened to “very quickly” stifle riots on election night if Democrats organize protests against his potential victory by employing a law allowing him to deploy active-duty troops domestically.

“We’ll put them down very quickly if they do that,” Trump told Fox News host Jeanine Pirro when she asked him how he would stop potential riots on election night should he win. “We have the right to do that, we have the power to do that if we want. We’ll put them down very quickly if they do that. We have the right to do that, we have the power to do that if we want. Look, it’s called insurrection. We just send in and we do it, very easy. I mean, it’s very easy. I’d rather not do that because there’s no reason for it, but if we had to we’d do that and put it down within minutes.”

Trump believes that creating chaos and violence and spreading uncertainty and doubt about such things as mail-in ballots and the legitimacy the vote, will benefit his political power and help him win in November, thus allowing him in power for the next four years — and potentially beyond that.

He is aggressively selling FUD. All you have to do is vote for him to avoid fear, uncertainty, and doubt. He is the solution to the problem. He alone can fix it. Even if he has to deploy the military against American citizens to do it.

Just to demonstrate my point about spreading FUD, this came across my newsfeed this morning:Caputo — without evidence — accused career government scientists yesterday of “sedition” in their handling of the pandemic and warned that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection after the election. This is crazy. Caputo is crazy. Trump is crazy.

This is spreading FUD.

25 thoughts on “Spreading FUD

1. newepicauthor September 14, 2020 / 2:47 pm

They look like a fine group of gentlemen to me and I wish that they would all show up at the Latinos for Trump rally tonight.

2. Marleen September 14, 2020 / 3:03 pm

Bunch of Nazis… err, I mean fascists (right wing extremists).

3. RuthScribbles September 14, 2020 / 3:13 pm

Omg. I am so afraid he won’t leave and will create a police state and stay in office forever. He is a dictator wannabe

4. rugby843 September 14, 2020 / 3:18 pm

It is crazy- crazier even than the people who voted for him and I have a few members of my family who still like him.  Unbelievable!  And these are intelligent caring human beings!  This is certainly a form of brainwashing.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

5. trishsplace September 14, 2020 / 3:18 pm

I know that I only read a tiny percentage of what’s available on WordPress, but for all that Americans voted Trump in 4 years ago, I don’t see any writing supporting him.
    I know with news feeds I could be reading according to my unconcious bias, but I’m following all you guys as a fiction writer. Interesting.

• Fandango September 14, 2020 / 3:26 pm

There are plenty of Trump supporters out there…even on WordPress.

6. rugby843 September 14, 2020 / 3:19 pm

A simpler way to put it–FUD =FUBAR 🙄

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

7. XingfuMama September 14, 2020 / 4:21 pm

We don’t need to wait for M13 to move in-Supporters of the T-bag are acting as gangs.

8. lifelessons September 14, 2020 / 7:15 pm

He’ll put them down very quickly just like he put down the coronavirus very quickily!

9. Mister Bump UK September 14, 2020 / 11:54 pm

The right here does a lot of that. They engender dear in the opposition. “Vote for us, because however bad our record is, if you vote them in, it’ll be worse”. They make it personal and the problem is, people seem to buy it.
    I always find that when a politician starts telling you who you should fear, that sets a pretty good marker on that politician.

10. Irene September 15, 2020 / 4:04 am

These times are so unsettling; between the pandemic and the US presidential election, the World will never be the same regardless of the outcome 😣

• Fandango September 15, 2020 / 7:38 am

Unfortunately, you’re right.

11. Vic Crain September 15, 2020 / 10:27 am

The world will never be the same, period. However, the only thing revolting is my stomach if Trump wins.

12. Marleen September 15, 2020 / 1:10 pm