Fibbing Friday — More Lies

Here we go again. This week, it’s Di, over at Pensitivity101, who is hosting Fibbing Friday. She alternates with Frank, aka PCGuy. In case you don’t know how this works, the idea is that we are to write a post with our answers to the ten questions below. But as the title suggests, truth is not an option. The idea is to fib a little, a lot, tell whoppers, be inventive, silly, or even outrageous, in your responses.

So here we go.

‘She had the biggest aspidistra in the world.’ But what is an aspidistra?

As a collector of aspidristras, she was proud that hers, a type of spider, was the biggest in the world. It was so big that she kept it in a 55 gallon aquarium and fed it small mice.

What is the main ingredient in Beef Wellington?

Pastry.

Who was Tufty?

Softy’s older brother. He was quite a bully, too.

What is a Port Folio?

A seaport on the coast of the Alaskan outpost village of Folio, which is located on the coast of the Bering Sea.

What is a bootee?

It’s a man’s goatee trimmed in the shape of a boot.

What is meant by ‘You have been tangoed’?

I don’t know, but if you’re reading this post, you have been ‘fandangoed.’

What is a blue bottle?

A bottle that is very sad because it’s sitting on the shelf and is not filled with anything.

How do you make shortbread?

With short dough.

What color is cotton candy?

The color of life, since cotton is the fabric of our lives, right?

What are cowslips and snap dragons?

Cowslips are what happens when you’re in a pasture, step on a cowpie, and slip and fall. Snapdragons are mean, nasty, and fire-breathing women who, when angry, snap at anyone in their company for no apparent reason.

25 thoughts on “Fibbing Friday — More Lies

1. Liz September 11, 2020 / 10:11 am

Love your answers. Now I know what a snapdragon is. I met one. 😁

2. Mister Bump UK September 11, 2020 / 10:28 am

I once set myself the task of reading George Orwell, one of his books was “The — Aspidistra” – I forget the word in the middle. Truly awful. Fortunately, he redeemed himself with other books.

• Marleen September 11, 2020 / 3:46 pm

I haven’t read that, either. I like “Animal Farm” and don’t like “1984” — but value it for some concepts easily conveyed with it. However, I’m not sure how “easily” conveyed they are, as many people seem to get pretty much the opposite meanings out if it (or never thought about what is going on there themselves and were told what to think it means).

• Mister Bump UK September 12, 2020 / 11:57 pm

The ones I liked were “Homage to Catalonia”, “The Road to Wigan Pier” and “Down and Out in Paris and London”. All based on fact rather than just novels. Certainly the early ones, I found hard to get on with, too. The two biggies, Animal Farm and 1984 were easy enough to read but really difficult to digest. 1984 in particular was very dark – he did not like Stalin!

Tell me, Marleen, do you have a blog? I wanted to follow you because as long as I can remember, it’s always been interesting when you say something, but none of the usual suspects get me there.

• Marleen September 13, 2020 / 12:48 am

Well, thank you very much! I’m kinda sorry; I do not have a blog, only kinda sorry. I don’t think I want to be responsible for keeping up an interesting blog. I appreciate those of you who do take on such a task or hobby. I have thought about it a time or two. I’ve also thought (very mildly) about writing a novel. Neither is going to happen.

Stalin was certainly bad. We can all agree on that.

• Marleen September 12, 2020 / 12:52 pm

I decided I should have a bit of familiarity with “[something or other] … Aspidistra Flying.” Watched “A Merry War” today. I suppose they made the movie better than the book. It would’ve been painful to tolerate the main character’s adolescent-like musings, in written form, while amazed at his stupid choices. I wouldn’t have completed the reading.

• Mister Bump UK September 13, 2020 / 12:00 am

Yes that was it. Instantly forgettable. I think it’s fair to say that he learned to write over the years.

3. Marleen September 12, 2020 / 1:04 pm

Your answers are great, and I love your “Softy” answer.

I had to look this one up, nevertheless.

Tufty — as I suppose many people knew while I didn’t — is a cat in the Harry Potter situation (belonging to a lady with more cats). And there is, otherwise, this:

4. Marleen September 13, 2020 / 12:22 am

I’ve never gotten into Harry Potter either.

Softy was a brilliant brainstorm, in any case.

5. leigha66 September 18, 2020 / 12:54 am

This reminds me of the game Balderdash – you give everyone a word they all write down definitions of their own creation. You throw in the real definition too and people vote for which definition is real. It can get pretty wild depending on the imagination level of who you play with.