The Monday Peeve — The Heat

Every Monday Paula Light gives us an opportunity to blow off a little steam with her The Monday Peeve prompt. I’m going to take advantage of this opportunity by blowing off some steam about the weather.

Okay, I know that I’m beginning to sound like a broken record with all my complaining and whining about two things: the WordPress block editor and the weather. But today I’m even more pissed of about the weather than I am about the block editor.

For the past decade-plus we lived in the city of San Francisco. My home did not have air conditioning. Just a few strategically placed ceiling fans. That’s because, living so close to the Pacific Ocean, it rarely got into the 80s in the section of the city that I lived in. Even more rarely, the high temperature would hit 90. So air conditioning was not a necessity.

But in February we moved to the East Bay, about 35 miles east of our place in San Francisco, to be closer to our son, his then pregnant wife, and our future grandchild. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

But what we didn’t count on was triple digit temperatures. Yesterday it hit 111. And at around 4:40 pm yesterday afternoon we lost power for about four hours. Loss of power meant loss of air conditioning and it didn’t take long before our house became uncomfortably hot.

So what is my peeve about today? Well, here’s today’s forecast.And the power company is talking about more rolling blackouts to accommodate the demand. On top of that, the National Weather Service has also issued a Red Flag Warning.That is a warning issued for weather events which may result in extreme fire behavior that will occur within 24 hours. Meanwhile, the air quality is already hazardous due to the existing wildfires.

So yeah, I think I’ve got good reason to be a bit peeved today.

27 thoughts on “The Monday Peeve — The Heat

1. Mason Bushell September 7, 2020 / 10:23 am

Holy crap thats hot. We never get that hot, ever, here in the UK. its only 46F today.

2. slmret September 7, 2020 / 10:48 am

AND the red flag warnings also allow PG&E to preemptively cut power to prevent arcing from starting more fires! Good luck today!

3. Jen Goldie September 7, 2020 / 11:09 am

OMG It’s only 70 F here going down to 60’s overnight.
    You have a right to be peeved!!!!

• Jen Goldie September 7, 2020 / 3:55 pm

Hopefully it will cool down a little this evening?
        I don’t have AC so if it’s too hot I put a cold cloth around my neck. I can’t imagine it being so hot.
        Stay cool if you can

4. CrunchityFrog September 7, 2020 / 11:24 am

I used to live in the Bay Area and it used to get way hot. Right now, we live in New Mexico. I sympathize. Stay safe with all of that heat and the fires.

• Fandango September 7, 2020 / 2:40 pm

Thanks. As long as the air conditioning is on, I’m okay (except when I have to go outside to walk our dog.

5. dharkanein September 7, 2020 / 11:48 am

I am sorry to know this. But the temperature is too high. Wish you luck.

6. KC September 7, 2020 / 12:39 pm

Okay…is that “normal”?? That’s friggin’ HOT. That’s desert HOT. I’m in NH and this summer set records – not just a day or two…but WEEKS of mid 90s temps and humid and no rain! I HATE it. I bitch about the Effing weather/temperatures ALL summer long.

• Fandango September 7, 2020 / 2:53 pm

It’s normally pretty hot where I live in the summers, frequently in the nineties, but no, having triple-digit temperatures days on end is definitely not normal. It’s 110 here right now.

7. RuthScribbles September 7, 2020 / 1:09 pm

You have every right to be peeved. I’d be in a melted puddle. gosh… Wed can’t get here soon enough!

• RuthScribbles September 8, 2020 / 9:05 am

I know that feeling. A week ago we were up in triple digits and 93 Felt. Lot cooler. (North / central Texas)

8. lssattitudeofgratitude September 7, 2020 / 3:05 pm

The triple digits are awful. Record breaking heat waves in Southern California has made for a not so nice summer on top of every thing else going on. Shock of all shocks the excessive heat warnings continue for the rest of this week. Ugh

9. Carl Setzer September 7, 2020 / 7:56 pm

We’re going to be in the low 80s this week and I’m whining. 109F? Ugh!

• Fandango September 7, 2020 / 10:04 pm

I’d kill to be in the low 80s. It reached 111 today and tomorrow the forecast says it’s going to be “only” 99.

10. Taswegian1957 September 7, 2020 / 9:57 pm

I can sympathise with you completely. When we lived in South Australia the temperatures in summer were often this high. it was not so common when I was a child but by the 1990s it was all too frequent. We lived near the sea but our house did not have air conditioning. It would become uncomfortably hot and we’d only get relief in the evening when a breeze came up. Like San Francisco, Adelaide also had to deal with bushfires in the outlying areas and in times of high demand there were rolling blackouts. This type of summer weather was a major factor in us deciding to move to Tasmania with it’s milder climate.