This is a Test

I’m experimenting with using the dreaded block editor on my iPhone (on the WordPress iOS app) to compose this post to see if I can actually make it work.

Now I’m going to insert an image to see how easy (or hard?) that is. Ready?

I can’t figure out how to size or center the image, to edit it, or to rename it. There must be a way but it’s not intuitive.

Next, I’m going to try some fancy stuff like bold and italic text. How about underlining? That was easy enough. Now let’s see if I can link to a post here.

First impressions

My first impression is “okay.” It’s far better than trying to use the block editor on WordPress.com on an iPhone. That said, it’s more like what I called “classic lite” on the iOS app, in that there seems to be some functionality missing and I can’t yet figure out how to access it. But maybe that will take some more practice and experimentation.

Now I’m going to save this draft, preview it, and, if it looks okay, publish it. Let me know what you think.

37 thoughts on “This is a Test

1. Mason Bushell September 5, 2020 / 1:02 pm

ON the PC version you have to go into the side bar and scroll down to the bottom to the Additional CSS field and type aligncenter and hit enter. Then it’ll centre when you complete the post.

• Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing September 5, 2020 / 4:41 pm

Actually Mason it’s a little easier than that. On you PC just click on the image and your options pop up above it. The one second left when you click on it will give you the align options 🙂👍

• Marilyn Armstrong September 5, 2020 / 6:43 pm

No, you don’t. If you use the alignment function in the media option. You can set it left, right, and center and add a caption. You do NOT need CSS.

• Mason Bushell September 6, 2020 / 12:45 am

That doesn’t always work. A lot of the time after using the alignment function and the publishing things will still move over to the left.

• PCGuyIV September 6, 2020 / 3:17 am

What the button is supposed to do is set that anchor for you, HOWEVER, it doesn’t always stick the way it is supposed to. Manually adding it ensures it sticks. Also, if you have a caption, it only adds it to the caption information, and not the image. Most of the time, the image will fall in line, but occasionally, it doesn’t, as the image will occasionally get the “alignnone” class added for some stupid reason, which negates the centering done by the caption code. Adding or modifying the CSS of the image ensures that your image as well as the caption are centered.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 10:28 pm

That’s crazy and not at all intuitive. It was one click with the classic editor.

• Mason Bushell September 6, 2020 / 12:44 am

I hardly ever used classic, I was going for about 2 weeks when it changed for me over a year ago. I was much happier with the block. But year having to do the CSS class is stupid to centre things.

2. Mister Bump UK September 5, 2020 / 1:06 pm

Looks like you got there, well done.
    If you still have problems, you can set alignment and size of images easily on the PC, so hopefully there is a way on the iPhone. And you can set the image title, so you can search for the image in your media library. /////if you have difficulty, give me a shout and I’ll see if I can’t borrow wife’s iPhone.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 10:33 pm

No, I am going back to using the “classic lite” editor in the iOS app. I don’t like all of the time consuming and non-intuitive hoops you have to jump through on even the iOS app block editor. And if WordPress ever decides to shitcan the classic editor in the iOS app, I’m outta here.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 10:36 pm

I’m going back to “classic lite.” Even though it doesn’t have all of the functionality of the now defunct classic editor, it’s still better than the block editor.

3. newepicauthor September 5, 2020 / 2:11 pm

It is a thing of real beauty, maybe not equal to the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel, but good enough to keep you from leaving.

4. oneletterup September 5, 2020 / 4:44 pm

I’m impressed you attempted all of this on your phone. I’m having enough of an issue on my MacBook. It looks like you did what you set out to do. Bravo!

5. Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing September 5, 2020 / 4:45 pm

I find trying to do WP posts on an iPhone extremely difficult. I can’t believe you can use it all the time 😳 I use an iPad sometimes and that’s not too bad but I’m going to stick to my laptop! Good luck Fandango! 🙂👍

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 10:55 pm

I have (or had) become very accustomed to creating posts on my iPhone, so it was pretty easy for me and it enabled me to be virtually anywhere when I got inspired to write a post. I could, I suppose, start using my laptop, but I resent the idea that I have to change devices and lose the flexibility that blogging from my iPhone gives me just to accommodate what some geeks over at WordPress think is a nifty new way to blog.

• Christine Bolton, Poetry for Healing September 6, 2020 / 4:21 am

I tried to do a blog on my iPhone yesterday and I agree it was impossible. I had in the past blogged once or twice that way because I was away from home and it ok. A little awkward for me but doable. I empathize with you because now it’s taken your enjoyment away. With so many using iPhones I’m hoping they will address it. Hang in there Fan.

6. Marilyn Armstrong September 5, 2020 / 6:38 pm

it works, but it’s a lot harder to use and there’s nothing intuitive about it. It’s, in other words, a solid pain in the butt. IF you are only using words and no pictures, you can save yourself a lot of effort. Unfortunately, I’m a photographer, And what is more, Garry will NEVER learn to use this. He won’t even try. What’s more, I don’t see that this offers us anything we didn’t have before. Actually, it offers us less that we had before and requires far more work for the same (or less) result But hey, what do I know, right?

7. lindakempwriter September 5, 2020 / 7:51 pm

Looks OK, but I’ve been using the block editor (on laptop) since June, I think, and I still don’t like it. But please don’t leave us, Fandango 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong September 5, 2020 / 8:33 pm

I don’t think I will ever like an editor that is harder to use and doesn’t give you a better product. If you are going to make me learn a new product, the least you can do is offer a better result. This doesn’t give you a better result. If you are lucky, it will give you a result almost as good as you used to get with the previous editor.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 11:08 pm

I’m gonna try to stick it out, but I’m still seething that they took away our choice of editors. I’m very pro choice, you know.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 11:10 pm

I figured it out for the iPhone version, but I still hate the block editor.

8. leigha66 September 12, 2020 / 1:19 am

It looks fine Fandango. Hopefully it will get easier for you to use.