SoSC — Sharp Objects

SharpLinda G. Hill is giving us the word “sharp” for this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt. She’s telling us to “use it in any or all of its definitions.”

The first thing I thought about was sharp objects, like knives or saws or scissors or arrows. And then I thought about the damage sharp objects could do. I remember my mother scolding me for running with scissors, telling me how sharp they are and how I could poke an eye out. Gross.

And speaking about sharp objects, my 7th grade shop teacher warned us about how sharp the blades on the circular saw and band saw were and he even had a poster like the one at the top of this post mounted on the wall next to the band saw.

One thing I’ve never been considered to be is a sharp dresser. I’ve always preferred comfort over style and never really embraced trendy fashions.

I never learned to read music, but I know there’s a symbol to designate a sharp note that looks like a hashtag in italics, but I have no idea what it means.I’ve always prided myself on having a sharp mind. But now that I’m a septuagenarian, I realize that my mind’s not as sharp as it used to be. I worry that it’s going to become even less sharp as I grow older and that I may someday, like Donald Trump does now, have to deal with dementia or Alzheimer’s.

And on that happy note, folks, it’s getting to be my bedtime, so I’m going to finish up this post and schedule it to publish at 6 am sharp my time.

Have a great Saturday.

23 thoughts on “SoSC — Sharp Objects

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 9:39 am

Bookshelves, a coffee table, and a few Adirondack-style patio chairs. And I never lost a single finger.

• Sadje September 5, 2020 / 10:53 am

Same here. In fact it’s one of the real that I started to blog. Mental acuity requires regular use of brain!

1. John Holton September 5, 2020 / 11:08 am

A sharp raises the pitch of a note by a half step. I talked about it today.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 9:53 pm

You and several others have explained to me what a sharp in music means. Thanks, John.

2. Marleen September 5, 2020 / 12:14 pm

The most recent sharp object I’ve used, other than ordinary knives (steak, dinner, bread, butter, pairing, etcetera) was a mandoline to shave chocolate (for a birthday cake… with no candles). I think I wasn’t using the right attachment, and it seemed a little scary (just a little as I can be careful).

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 10:01 pm

I thought a mandolin was a stringed instrument but I guess if you put an “e” on the end of “mandolin” you get a kitchen utensil.

3. Stine Writing September 5, 2020 / 2:19 pm

You know the whole scissor thing? Yeah, my mother-in-law learned the hard way as a young girl. No joke. It is really hard to think about.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 10:38 pm

Oops. Sorry about that. I guess my Ma had a point (no pun intended).

• Stine Writing September 7, 2020 / 7:01 pm

No kidding, right! When I worked with the little behavior kids they would run at you with pens and pencils. I would end up telling that story, well a rendition of it…

4. Laura September 5, 2020 / 6:48 pm

That’s a pretty graphic poster. If I’d seen it in shop class it would have made me pause and think…

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 11:04 pm

It did give me pause every time I went to use the band saw.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 11:17 pm

It’s still called the pound sign or the number sign, but these days, since Twitter became so popular, a lot call it the hashtag.