Oh Come On, It’s September

And then there’s this bit of fun news I received late yesterday from one of the Happiness Engineers.I’m so impressed by how WordPress takes feedback from its users to heart and does its best to respond to our concerns. (In case you couldn’t tell, I’m being facetious.)

Have a good Saturday, folks. Keep your cool if you can.

35 thoughts on “Oh Come On, It’s September

1. Sadje September 5, 2020 / 8:50 am

Today I encountered another weird problem, I cannot share other people’s posts by pressing the W icon. It takes me to a strange menu and I cannot understand what to do next!!!

2. Vic Crain September 5, 2020 / 8:50 am

The block editor is a nuisance, but not a show stopper. It does slow down blogging, and maybe that’s what they want, less traffic on their servers.

3. rugby843 September 5, 2020 / 9:02 am

After reading the news and the post office crap, I doubt it.  It still amazes me how much Trump has influenced and tried to use his “powers” for his own gains. Even when it cones back again to haunt him….ok, enough.  I’m getting coffee.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

4. msjadeli September 5, 2020 / 9:57 am

Geeks rule the world these days, and most geeks are not known for their social skills, especially not the young ones 😦 Welcome to the Machine Minions.

5. newepicauthor September 5, 2020 / 10:13 am

I know that you don’t want to hear this, but I never switched from the classic editor.

6. aguycalledbloke September 5, 2020 / 11:53 am

I don’t like the Block editor it is blotchy and bulky and a right regal pain in the ass. I have been using it now since the last week of May a week prior to the official launch in June. I have mostly gotten used to it and whilst it isn’t that bad, it isn’t that great either . It’s slower to create posts, l keep getting an image problem whereas trying to insert an image from my directory can sometimes take 9 attempts to insert and that goes beyond mildly frustrating.

In simple terms l don’t which fuckwith thought this system was brilliant and worthy of a full WP transfer – but they suck at being cognatively aware of the end user of a blog in WP.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 9:57 pm

I agree. They somehow come up with what they think are cool enhancements that nobody wants or needs and hang us use casual but faithful users out to dry.

• aguycalledbloke September 5, 2020 / 11:57 pm

That’s a very valid point and something l have noticed in the last four years especially from other platforms.

I have been playing WoW since its launch in 2004 [World of Warcraft], l was till four years ago a very dedicated player – l paid my subscription every year which over 16 years isn’t just a few quid but works out to thousands of pounds if you include buying the game, the expansions of which there are now several and of course Internet time, but computers over the years too.

But four years ago the game was a game for all types of players – from casual to dedicated to hardcore ………… then they changed it and they started to celebrate ‘hard core players’ only. Casual players which make up for a huge % of the game were suddenly left out to hang as if they were no longer important and if they couldn’t play dedicated or hard core – well then they either lumped it or gamed harder .

I still love the game but l am more of a casual player these days – because they took a lot of the genuine fun out of it, WordPress performed the same to many of the casual bloggers but also – their dedicated and hardcore % as well with this nonsensical move!

• Fandango September 6, 2020 / 7:25 am

I was never big into gaming, but yeah, I know how frustrating something like that can be.

7. Marilyn Armstrong September 5, 2020 / 12:16 pm

This is why I’m very loathe to pay them more money to regain the features I used to get with the money I have been paying them for the past 8 years. They simply stripped the good stuff out of the plan and moved them to a plan that costs at least twice as much and has little real benefit for me — or you — or any of us who are not business. Yet we have a lot invested in these sites, so we are screwed no many how we look at it. And what’s more, I don’t believe they won’t do the same thing again — take all the piece we need out of our plan and raise the prices AGAIN. They are about as trustworthy as Trump’s cabinet.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 10:26 pm

I am still pissed. I have tried using the block editor on the WordPress iOS app for the iPhone, but, while it better than trying to use the block editor at WordPress.com on an iPhone, it’s still not as good or as easy the now gone classic editor on WordPress.com was. But as you noted, they don’t give a damn about us casual bloggers.

8. Bill Chance September 5, 2020 / 2:41 pm

I hate the block editor – putting up thousands of posts over the years I get into an efficient workflow. They don’t understand how frustrating it is when that gets interrupted.

9. JT Twissel September 5, 2020 / 5:20 pm

They really did a piss poor job rolling out the new editor … we are in the same heat wave as you. Luckily where we are (in a valley) the sun in now setting beyond the hills. We don’t get spectacular sunrises but …

10. Marilyn Armstrong September 5, 2020 / 6:06 pm

So I went and tried out the block editor. Several issues come immediately to mind. It’s much more difficult to set up a photograph. What you used to be able to do “standardized” — set it to, for example, “large, centered” and add a caption at the same time, this now takes four separate actions. If you have a complicated template as I do, you can’t set it to “sticky.” The function is gone.

I like the way they’ve set up the media library, but that’s the ONLY thing I like. Yes, the classic editor works like the classic editor used to but you have to reset it if you use a picture or anything else in between. It will automatically revert to “paragraph” which has different options.

Everything takes a lot longer to do and requires more steps to do basic stuff. The headers are OK and there are some interesting settings for graphics. But none of them are easy to use and there’s absolutely nothing intuitive about it.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 11:02 pm

Exactly. And it’s worse by an order of magnitude to use the block editor on an iPhone.

• Fandango September 5, 2020 / 11:15 pm

It’s not that unusual during the summer months where I live for there to be a 30-35 degree difference between the daily lows and highs.

11. leigha66 September 12, 2020 / 12:40 am

We have been in the exact opposite here… highs barely in the mid 50s. I have never looked into other blogging sites, do you know if they are geared more to the individual instead of businesses? That reply was rude in my opinion.