#100WW — Do What You Do

“I’m sick and tired of meeting people and the first question out of their mouths is ‘What do you do for a living?’” Jack said. “I do what I do. That’s all they need to know.”

“I get it, Jack, but getting to know someone is often through finding out what they do, whether for a living or for fun,” Alicia said. “Besides, asking what someone does is just a first step to finding out who they really are.”

“Yeah, I know, Alica,” Jack admitted. “You’re right, of course. I’m just being overly sensitive because I’m unemployed at the moment.”

(100 words)

Written for today’s 100 Word Wednesday prompt from Bikurgurl. Photo credit: Bikurgurl.

8 thoughts on “#100WW — Do What You Do

1. rugby843 September 2, 2020 / 9:34 am

You make a point here but I’ll be the devils advocate. When I was a stay at home mom the first question at parties was, where do you work? If I answered at home, then what do you do I’d say I’m a mother and a wife, etc. After that I was ignored because “I didnt work”. Still irritates me as you can tell I’m sure.

• Fandango September 2, 2020 / 10:50 am

I’m amazed at how some people show little regard for stay-at-home moms. I think that’s one of the most challenging (and rewarding) jobs there is.

2. Taswegian1957 September 2, 2020 / 7:19 pm

I can relate to this. People often assume that if you don’t work you are lazy and uninteresting.

3. leigha66 September 8, 2020 / 1:04 am

Since my health caused me to stop working I still have difficulty with this question. It seems I either get pity or frowned on as not being a valuable member of society.

4. Bikurgurl September 8, 2020 / 11:56 pm

So many people are in this situation right now! What I love about the question you pose is how much many {Americans} people put an emphasis on what you “do” not what you “think”. We wonder why we can’t get to know people, but realizing what a person “does” for income and how a person thinks and conducts their lives are two very different things. If you want to get to know someone, don’t ask what they do – ask what they think! Excellent – thank you for joining us again this week 🖤

• Fandango September 9, 2020 / 12:11 am

You have to be careful when asking people what they think. You might not like what you hear. Or you might find out that they don’t really think about what they think.

• Bikurgurl September 10, 2020 / 3:05 pm

You are SO right! Especially in the charged environment now in the USA with regard to…well, practically every issue from politics, to COVID, to education, to taxes, to Black Lives Matter, to gender bias, to poverty, to ‘law and order’…..it’s a minefield, but definitely tells you more about a person than how they an income….well, *sometimes* 😉 Thank you so much for your always thought-provoking tales 🖤

• Marleen September 10, 2020 / 5:24 pm

Don’t really think about what they think; all too common.