Blogging Insights — Dodging the Draft

Blogging insightsFor this week’s Blogging Insights edition, Dr. Tanya wants to know about our drafts folder. She asks…

How many drafts do you have in your “Drafts Folder” right now?

First, let me say that most of my posts, except for my prompts that I host, are posted on the day I write them. So I don’t usually have a lot of unfinished posts in my drafts folder.

Spurred on by Dr. Tanya’s question, I went to my drafts folder and found six posts there. Two are tests, apply titled “This is a Test,” of my failed attempts to compose a post using the new block editor on my iPhone. I think I’ll just go in and move them to my trash folder and permanently delete them. I just wish there was a way to permanently delete the block editor, as well. One draft is an early version of a One-Liner Wednesday post that I gave up on. Another was a rant about my cellular provider. One, dated last September, was about when I upgraded to iOS 13 on my iPhone and the resultant issues that I was having on WordPress after that. I think each of those three drafts deserve to be trashed. And finally, one was from January 2019 where I posed three rhetorical questions. I forgot about that draft and might go back, reread it, and perhaps post it.

Do you always complete a post that you draft?

Most of the time, but not always.

Is it a good idea to leave your unfinished drafts hanging around or should you delete them after some time, if so, how long?

Every once in a while I will open up my draft folder and take a look at what’s in there. And unless I find some hidden gem that I forgot about, I will delete them.

14 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Dodging the Draft

• Carl Setzer August 31, 2020 / 11:05 am

I just checked and found two drafts. One was a post that, for some reason, was “waiting for review” and the other was a photo with nothing else. Weird.

• Carl Setzer September 1, 2020 / 9:53 pm

I tend to write my posts in Evernote, then cut and paste them into WordPress. So, I guess I’m cheating.

• Sadje September 1, 2020 / 11:53 pm

I don’t think that it can be called cheating! You can write however and wherever you want as long as it’s yours! Lol

• Fandango September 2, 2020 / 12:13 am

I sometimes do the same thing! It’s not cheating, it’s good sense.

1. Mister Bump UK August 31, 2020 / 10:41 am

On the contrary, it sounds like you *succeeded* in creating those posts 😆

2. Taswegian1957 August 31, 2020 / 5:15 pm

I usually post when I’ve finished writing but I do sometimes “park” a post in the draft folder half finished. I have 8 in there now. Most have the text but I still need the photos. Occasionally it is the other way around. At least three of my eight will now be a problem because to complete them I needed to revisit certain areas to take photos and I am not at the other end of the state. However, I don’t want to junk them. One day I’ll get back there and then I’ll probably rewrite the text a bit and use them.
    Another way I use the draft folder is for photo challenge posts. I do the header and add the link back to the host’s page. Later, when I have the pictures I go back and finish it. These drafts rarely hang around more than a few days. If I miss the deadline I delete them. Every few months I have a look at the folder and if there are posts there I’m not happy with out they go.

3. Marilyn Armstrong August 31, 2020 / 8:54 pm

I have two “fake” drafts for whenever I think of something and I have a couple of things programmed for some months ahead (special dates). I used to have a lot of drafts, but they got used up and I’ve been too crazy and wacko to write new ones. I DO program everything at least a few hours ahead, mostly so I get one more shot at trying to find those typos. I know, it’s hopeless, but I keep trying. I’m not going to become a better proofreader at 73 than i was at 35, but I try.\

I like to program when my posts come out because my memory isn’t exactly perfect these days and if I don’t program them, i don’t know if anything is going to post at all. The older I get, the more I need to program and time everything or I just forget it.

4. leigha66 September 6, 2020 / 2:03 am

I very rarely have drafts. I do most of my writing on MS Word and just copy paste it into the WordPress editor. The few times I have used it I usually have it written or deleted within a week.