Who Won The Week? 08/30/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

I was planning to designate the players of the Milwaukee Bucks and the National Basketball Association (NBA) for their actions this week when they essentially staged a boycott of their games on Wednesday night to support the protests in various American cities against racism and deadly racial injustice that is plaguing the United States. But Jen Goldie beat me to it in this post.

So I’ve been racking my brain to come up with a person, place, or thing worthy of being designated as my Who Won the Week winner. I’m sorry to say that, given the sad state of affairs in American cities like Kenosha, Wisconsin, Portland, Oregon, and others, I’ve come up empty. From my perspective, other than the aforementioned NBA players, no one and nothing won this past week.

Therefore, I’m leaving it up to you folks. Please, please lift my spirits by telling me who (or what) you think won the week?

37 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 08/30/2020

1. Jen Goldie August 30, 2020 / 11:49 am

I’m sorry Fan. But the news was so important at the time I just had to post it while it was happening. 😏 It was “Breaking” news

• Marleen August 30, 2020 / 5:47 pm

I also noted something he said in an interview. In response to an interviewer, “You came off of one Black Panther project, did “Marshall” and then made another Black Panther movie. Did you bulk up, slim down and then bulk up again?”

A: [Nods his head, looking exhausted] Right. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

“You’ve been through the wringer.”

A: [Oh, you don’t even know [laughs]. You have no idea. One day I’ll live to tell the story.

• Fandango August 30, 2020 / 10:38 pm

I agree. It’s a shame that a very talented man died at such a young age.

2. Paula Light August 30, 2020 / 12:16 pm

I don’t see anything good in the news, but personally I had a pretty good week (except for back pain), and the cats got a new tree/condo contraption so they feel like winners. But cats always do, don’t they? 🐱🐱

3. rugby843 August 30, 2020 / 12:35 pm

On a personal note, I’d have to say my grandson who picks me up, drives me around, stuffs the wheelchair in and out of his car and we usually have lunch somewhere.  This time it was a drive through Chick-fil-A.  I have never seen so many cars in a line, and it was a double line!  It was nonstop and we sat there munching, trying to add up what we thought were their profits in just one hour.  Unbelievable! He cooks his own dinner every night and has a well worn gas grill he’s turned into a smoker.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

• Fandango August 30, 2020 / 10:52 pm

Yes, your grandson deserves to be your who won the week winner this week.

• Marleen August 31, 2020 / 1:05 pm

Trump carried his statement — “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”* — into the now, yesterday. I noticed this, yesterday, but didn’t get around to posting it. That rhymie thing was from a Miami racist police chief in 1967… you know, closer to Trump’s timeframe for when America was “great” (except for now when he can put hatefulness into the bloodstream of America or subject us to Putin’s delights). The chief had also said they (the officers) didn’t mind if they were accused of police brutality, and that they, the black people who had new equal rights (in theory) because of legislation, haven’t “seen anything yet.” Yesterday, Trump tweeted — toward the Portland mayor and about troops to be sent by Trump there to deal with Black Lives Matter protesting — that ”he hasn’t seen anything yet.”

* (by which he disingenuously, then, said he meant looting leads to shooting… as if he didn’t want shooting)

4. newepicauthor August 30, 2020 / 12:55 pm

I vote for you Fandango for winning the week, because your Dog Days of August gave me something to write about for a month straight.

5. Marleen August 30, 2020 / 8:22 pm

The players behaved like human beings, affected by reality of the day.

6. Marleen August 30, 2020 / 8:52 pm

Sue Bird said (today, asked to consider and comment on the idea there are politicians who don’t want the WNBA or the sports world to get involved in social issues), “For me, as a female athlete, the one thing I’ve come to realize, we’re judged on everything except our sport… black, gay; because we’re women. Nobody talks about us playing. Fast forward … we’ve developed an identity, and we’re being authentic to it. For us, when people say, stick to sports, it’s kinda like yeah, twenty years ago, we tried, and you wouldn’t let us. Now you’re saying that? So it makes no sense to me.”

I left out a word or two here and there.

• Marleen September 1, 2020 / 9:20 pm

My oldest son is volunteering as a poll worker.

• Fandango September 2, 2020 / 12:03 am

I somehow missed your post. You took some heat from that first commenter, but you handled it very well.

• annieasksyou September 2, 2020 / 6:42 am

I wonder if it isn’t appearing in your Reader. I posted it Wednesday about midday your time. I’ve heard from another blogger that she’s not getting it, but she can’t leave me likes either.

• Fandango September 2, 2020 / 9:32 am

Good. I was confused because it’s only 9:30 my time on Wednesday (today). 😉

• Fandango September 2, 2020 / 9:27 am

WordPress sometimes works in mysterious ways.