Truthful Tuesday — Look Who’s Talking

Frank, aka PCGuy, has published another one of his Truthful Tuesday posts. Yes, I know that today is Wednesday, but, as they say, time goes by quickly when you’re having fun, right? This week he wants to know what people are or are not talking about. He asked,

What’s something that seemingly everyone else just can’t stop talking about that you just never got in to, and why not?

For me, it’s Harry Potter. People are talking a lot about Harry Potter, at least since Melanie, on her Share Your World posts, has been including a series of Harry Potter questions from Roger Shipp, with whom Melanie has been sharing her Share Your World prompt for the past three weeks. Maybe it’s because I’m not a young adult, but I never got into Harry Potter, either the books or the movies. I just didn’t understand what the allure was. And to be honest, it’s not so much that everyone is talking about Harry Potter these days, but incorporating a bunch of Harry Potter questions just brought up how I never got into it.

Frank also asked,

What’s something that you hold near and dear, but it seems as though no-one else has heard about it, or at the very least, has no interest in it?

I’m writing this post on my laptop instead of my iPhone because the stupid block editor just doesn’t work well on an iPhone, which is my preferred device for blogging (and for pretty much everything else). In order to create a post now, the brilliant minds at WordPress insist that we use the block editor going forward and have “decommissioned” the classic editor. I know I’m not the only one who is upset by this forced move, but the classic editor in WordPress is near and dear to me and I wish more people would contact WordPress and complain. Maybe enough of us complaining could get them to go back to offering the classic editor (and I don’t mean the classic block in the block editor) as an available alternative to the having to post using the block editor. Okay, ’nuff said.

26 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Look Who’s Talking

1. HappySoul August 26, 2020 / 11:21 am

Relate to both. I have very less idea about Harry Potter never read a book or watched a movie
    I’m new in WP, but I prefer classic editor. I use my phone and every time WP is pushin me to use block editor, I’m switching to classic.

• Fandango August 26, 2020 / 12:32 pm

Yes, the block editor just doesn’t work very well on a smartphone.

• trishsplace August 27, 2020 / 3:14 am

I kept ignoring their prompts about the new block editor. Until today I got on and I had no choice! 😦

2. Mister Bump UK August 26, 2020 / 11:31 am

Soon as I read the question, I thought of Harry Potter, too.
    I wish people would take more interest in the covid data here, If enough people wanted it, it would be more visible.

3. amoralegria August 26, 2020 / 1:57 pm

You don’t have to be a young adult to like Harry Potter – I am a senior citizen and first found out about it from my mother! But you know, it’s all a matter of taste. The last few years it has been a requirement almost that one should be addicted to Game of Thrones. I’ve never watched it and don’t care.

Fandango, I’m pretty sure that many people have complained about block editor to the WP gurus, but I guess it doesn’t really matter to them. They figure that most people will get used to it and go with the flow. If they lose a few bloggers, it won’t mean much to them. But please, DON’T LEAVE!! I’m glad to hear you are now using your laptop for blogging. Your followers really appreciate you and look at all the rewards you’ve been getting! 😉

• Fandango August 26, 2020 / 2:15 pm

I never got into Game of Thrones either. But I loved Lord of the Rings, but just couldn’t relate to Harry Potter.

Yes, I did use my laptop today, but I am still going to use my iPhone most of the time. I just hope it doesn’t prove to be so onerous that I will just stop blogging altogether.

• trishsplace August 27, 2020 / 3:15 am

Maybe with just a little more patience, you’ll sort out using it on your iPhone. Good luck.

• Fandango August 27, 2020 / 8:05 am

I’ve tried, but I’ve just about run out of patience.

4. Sadje August 26, 2020 / 5:38 pm

I do love Harry Potter books. The movies not so much. As for classic editor, I am totally in your camp! Bring it back WP!!!

5. Paula Light August 26, 2020 / 5:52 pm

With ya on Potter. Di has an email address we can write to to ask for the classic editor back. I will!

6. imagineambition August 26, 2020 / 7:26 pm

I never read Harry Potter… or watched the movies, either

But the first thing that came to my mind: Social media memes. I’m just not on that page, or even in the same book, as the majority of society when it comes to social media and watching YouTube videos.

7. missb August 26, 2020 / 7:30 pm

How about a signature campaign? Never hurts to have both options, or at least a lengthier transition period to get used to the new editor.

• Fandango August 26, 2020 / 10:41 pm

I don’t think the folks at WordPress really care.

8. trishsplace August 27, 2020 / 3:13 am

I don’t understand why WordPress has done it. There must be some logic. Either they think it’s good for us; or makes life easier for them? The old saying ‘why fix it if it’s not broke’ comes to mind 😦

• Fandango August 27, 2020 / 8:03 am

I think they invested a lot of time, effort, and maybe money in the block editor and don’t want to have to maintain two different editors in the long-term.

9. leigha66 August 31, 2020 / 6:33 pm

I just sent off an email to that address. One more complaint I hope they listen to.

• Fandango August 31, 2020 / 10:28 pm

I think they shut down that email address. Maybe too many complaining emails. By the way, Leigha, I think one of your comments, maybe one with several links, found its way into my trash folder and I accidentally deleted it. I dont even know what post that comment was associated with. Sorry about that.

• leigha66 September 3, 2020 / 12:54 am

No worries, I have the memory of a gnat so I do not have any idea what the response was. Let’s just pretend it was silly nonsense! …and I did not receive any reply to my email, but I also didn’t get the message bounced back from a closed account.