SoCS — Brush

For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill, we are given the word “brush” and are asked to use it as a noun, a verb, or an idiom.

I used to have a hair brush, but since I no longer have any hair on my head, I no longer have a need for a hair brush. However, I do have and use a toothbrush as well as a clothes brush. I also have a brush for my dog’s fur, although one could argue that’s it’s more of a comb than a brush. But let’s not split hairs. Ha! Get it? Split hairs. Funny, right?

I asked my wife if she would prepare my favorite meal for dinner, but she gave me the brush-off. “Why don’t you prepare my favorite meal for me for a change?” she asked. So I found an old cook book, brushed the dust off if it, and looked up a recipe. It looked pretty complicated and I realized that if I was going to be successful, I’d have to brush up on my culinary skills.

I pulled all of the ingredients together and got all the pots, pans, and utensils lined up. I was on a tear, preparing what was on its way to becoming a gourmet dinner when the cat suddenly jumped up on the counter and brushed up against my arm, causing me to accidentally empty a whole bottle of wine onto the skillet.

I then dropped the empty bottle, which shattered on the hardwood floor. I knew I had to take care of the mess before my cat jumped down and got glass shards in his paw pads. So I grabbed the dustpan and brush from the pantry and started to brush the glass into the dustpan, but my wife walked into the kitchen and I didn’t want her to see the mess I had made so I just brushed all of the glass under the rug.

Then I ordered pizza for delivery.

27 thoughts on “SoCS — Brush

1. Mason Bushell August 22, 2020 / 3:49 am

Wow you brushed away the competition with this piece about the brush. You must be brushed with success – I mean flushed – just brush that pun under the carpet will you lol.

Nicely done Fandango I enjoyed this piece.

• Mason Bushell August 22, 2020 / 9:12 am

You’re welcome. BTW the Dog Days of August Post today is faulty we cant comment on it and it keeps going down. It might need reposting.

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 5:52 pm

That’s strange. If I go to my browser (on my iPhone and open up my blog, it’s there. I’m really losing my patience with WordPress.

2. Sadje August 22, 2020 / 4:37 am

Haha! Great use of the prompt. And very sensible decision!

3. bikerchick57 August 22, 2020 / 6:32 am

I think the cat was trying to tell you something…and you listened. Good for you and the pizza place!

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 5:37 pm

I’m glad my story made you smile. Thanks for telling me.

4. lyncrain August 22, 2020 / 9:25 am

Those dang fur babies keep us hopping. I enjoyed reading your post..

5. rugby843 August 22, 2020 / 10:45 am

So I can relate to the broken wine bottle.  A good chuckle at the splitting hairs. . .those wine bottles really shatter.  Disappointing as I was looking forward to tasting a new wine.  My grandkids had to come over and help me clean up that mess.🙄😳

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

6. Laura August 22, 2020 / 4:42 pm

I have nights like this in the kitchen, too. If it doesn’t result in takeout then it’s a quick box of mac & cheese. 😆

7. leigha66 August 26, 2020 / 1:18 am

This was an entertaining story. We always put the pet’s well being first don’t we?