The Old College Try

I’m not entirely sure why they call it “the old college try” or if it will work for me, since I’ve been out of college for five decades. That said, I’m composing this post on my iPhone using the Block editor.

I am not a total luddite or troglodyte or whatever term is used to describe someone who is technologically ignorant. As a matter of fact, when I was still working, I was a “solutions consultant” for a software and services company and I considered myself to be rather technologically competent. But I retired four years ago and now I must be technologically brain dead because this whole Block editor has me totally flummoxed.

But here I am, after saying that I was going to throw in the towel in this post, attempting to use the Block editor to write and publish a post. That’s because, since I published that post a few hours ago, a lot of you have called me a pussy and some of you have insisted that it just takes patience and perseverance to make it work. “Don’t give up,” one blogger commented. “Don’t let the bastards win,” another blogger advised.

So this old dog has been sufficiently motivated (or intimidated?) to learn a new trick. Now all I need to do is figure out how to add a category, a few tags, save the stuff, preview it, and publish it.

Wish me luck.

31 thoughts on “The Old College Try

1. cagedunn August 21, 2020 / 4:10 pm

For categories and tags, look to the top right. Down a bit. There, the two flaps. Click on document. Look down the list. Scroll.
    Aha!

2. Jen Goldie August 21, 2020 / 4:19 pm

Years ago (mid 90’s I guess) I started making websites with Geocities, Angelfire and Bravenet. (Long story lol) My Angelfire site is still active and available to read and edit. Geocities went AWOL with Yahoo. I had to know HTML and made pages from scratch. I still have tons of images etc in Angelfire files. Which I raid from time to time. My HARMONYVILLE stories are also there.
    Bravenet is where my paid and active domain lies.
    With all this fuss I decided to see exactly Bravenet provided. I already have a site growing there but FFFF..uck… Took me 2 or 3 hours just to change a font on a page or colour!
    FORGET comments and a notification bar to let you know is someone’s commenting.
    At least word press has a customizer with all the necessities (apps etc) in one place,
    To be frank I find WP to be easier in comparison. Everything you need is right in front of your nose.
    BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!😊
    I also have a lap top
    Don’t leave Fan. I’d miss those crazy eyes on your header!

• Fandango August 21, 2020 / 5:19 pm

Crazy eyes? Ha. Well, as I said, I’m going to play with the Block editor and, hopefully, I’ll be able to master it and not have it master me!

• Jen Goldie August 21, 2020 / 5:23 pm

Just takes a little time to get used to it.
        Things were a lot harder back then. I’m sure you remember that LOL

• Fandango August 21, 2020 / 5:20 pm

Yeah. But it’s just a simple post with one image and no tricky stuff in it.

3. RuthScribbles August 21, 2020 / 5:30 pm

I tried it out. It’s not so bad until inserting photos, but I finally found it. Not intuitive. I am a troubleshooter – I’m glad you’ll give it a try, and yet I understand the frustration!

4. Sadje August 21, 2020 / 5:56 pm

All the best my friend. Hope it works. You’re giving me hope too.

5. Paula Light August 21, 2020 / 10:12 pm

Glad you’re hanging in there! I think you’ll eventually like it, especially for the prompt posts 🙂

• Fandango August 21, 2020 / 10:37 pm

I’m not sure why it’s better for prompt posts. Is the some hidden functionality that I have yet to uncover?

• Paula Light August 21, 2020 / 11:03 pm

I have the boilerplate language saved in blocks for my Monday Peeve and Thursday Inspiration. One click pops it in, no need for copy and paste!

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 9:23 am

What I have been doing in my Classic editor is copying my prompt posts and then editing the text to change the particulars, like the date, the word, etc. It’s pretty easy. No cutting and pasting necessary.

6. PCGuyIV August 21, 2020 / 11:19 pm

The thing I have disliked most is that in order to add images, you pretty much HAVE to be in the visual editor mode when using the block editor. I, for various reasons, don’t like working that way. I know how to put in image tags if I want to add in an image and know the URL of the image, but that isn’t the case with the images in my WordPress media storage, nor is it the case with the free Pexels images that WordPress has made available. If they would leave the media add-in available when in code editor mode, I could probably learn to tolerate the new editor. As it is, I can’t stand it.

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 8:37 am

I have tried adding an image with the new Block editor and it never ends up where I want it to appear in my post. 🙁

• PCGuyIV August 22, 2020 / 8:41 am

In theory, you can switch to “Code Editor” mode after you add your image, then edit the tags to get it how you want. Also, if you use the classic block, you can insert images the old way using the media button in the classic block toolbar. When I tried it, it still proved to be a pain in the ass, but it was better than trying to use the image blocks.

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 5:46 pm

I’ve found the classic block to be buggy. I’ve attempted to use it a number of times and each time I either get an error message and lose everything or it freezes up and I have to start over. But that may be because I’m using it on my iPhone and I don’t think the folks at WordPress made much of an effort to get that block to work effectively on an iPhone.

• PCGuyIV August 22, 2020 / 5:48 pm

That wouldn’t surprise me, though I do find it funny, based on how mich they brag about playing nice with mobile devices.

7. Melanie B Cee August 22, 2020 / 8:49 am

I echo Irene’s comment! Plus, IF you do still encounter a lot of frustrating unnecessary crap, may I recommend a conversation with Frank (PCIVGuy)? He wrote a post today outlining some fairly easy to follow steps for getting along with that damned block b.s. I think he’s going to prove to be a valuable resource. IF/when they force me into the same corner, I’ll be relying on him I know.

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 5:49 pm

I’ve read his posts and comments, but I think a lot of my issues are because I’m using an iPhone and not a laptop or a desktop. I don’t think WordPress did much testing or troubleshooting on the iPhone iteration of the block editor.

8. leigha66 August 25, 2020 / 7:00 pm

I am glad you are giving it another shot. I know where those things your looking for are on my laptop version, but I am sure that won’t help you on your iPhone. Keep trying if you can, you’re an important part of this blogging community!